Power price in Washington state

Is there any where I can find out that?
    We're setting up a new facility there and some quoted me $10/amps, some quoted me up to $15/amps.

tks,

I'm sorry, but how are you setting up a new facility (implying building), without even knowing what hydro rates are?

If you're colo'ing, then its whatever your provider bills it at. Hydro costs are not directly related (providers costs to condition will vary).

It really depends on where you are in Washington. If you're in southern washington, and can get your power with a deal from the Bonneville Power Administration,, you can get it as cheap as $0.019/kwh. In Seattle I believe it's $0.049/kwh industrial gross, not including the various capacity feeds that get tacked on.

No utility bills per amp, it is all by kwhour. You can look up those rates as they are regulated public utilities. Depending where in the state you're located it will be a different one, Seattle City Light, Puget Sound Energy, etc.

If you are buying colo space expect to pay far more than utility rates however! Unless of course you only want grid power and no secondary source (Generator) or UPS. Batteries & Diesel fuel aren't free, and neither is the infrastructure to deliver what they provide.
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

You have to be using an awful lot of juice to get the 4 rate in Seattle Michael... think Boeing or other big industrial users in the neighborhood. The 6.5 price band is what I'd bet most datacenters in town are working in.
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalforest View Post
    You have to be using an awful lot of juice to get the 4 rate in Seattle Michael... think Boeing or other big industrial users in the neighborhood. The 6.5 price band is what I'd bet most datacenters in town are working in.
    Ahh, I didn't realize the # was that high to get the best rate. I guess most of the datacenters in Seattle are relatively small.. Nobody I've toured has more than a megawatt or two of generator power.. I know the Westin as a building has something like 32MW, but my understanding is those feeds generally go to individual tenants. I wonder if there are any providers in the Westin pushing much power? Given the small size per floor I'd guess not.

@porcupine : Sorry for confusing. We're setting up new systems inside a datacenter there, not building our own datacenter.

@mhalligan: we have contacted few datacenters there, in Westin and around Seattle. However, I am not really sure if they're provided by the Bonneville Power Administration or not.

@all: Thanks for reminding me. Adding UPS, cooling... makes sense How do you think about $13/kwh, including all power, cooling, UPS...? I am asking for 60amps/rack guarantee

Since you are setting up within an existing data center, your power will likely be billed to you based upon your amp draw. Assuming a data center is paying $6.5/kWh, their raw cost for power is $5.61 per amp, per month (that's at 120v). That doesn't include any utility costs / power for cooling, capex costs for UPS, genset, power distribution, and operating costs for maintenance of the power plant. Given the raw utility cost, I would be concerned about anyone quoting you $10/amp for power (caveat: I am talking in usable amps, and not provisioned amps: $160 per 20a circuit). By the time you add in the operational costs for cooling, you are at between $9.50 and $11/amp in utility costs alone. That leaves very little room to actually pay for other operational expenses and the capital expense of the power systems.
    Last edited by Jay Suds; 12-23-2007 at 05:45 AM.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

@mhalligan: we have contacted few datacenters there, in Westin and around Seattle. However, I am not really sure if they're provided by the Bonneville Power Administration or not.
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe the BPA deals only apply to southern Washington & certain parts of northern oOegon, which is why Google, Yahoo, MSN, Sabey are building all of their huge facilities along the Columbia River.

@all: Thanks for reminding me. Adding UPS, cooling... makes sense How do you think about $13/kwh, including all power, cooling, UPS...? I am asking for 60amps/rack guarantee
    $13/kwh would probably put you out of business. 720 hours in a month, 60 amps @ 110 = 6.6kwh, or $85.8/hour, or $61,776/month. A reasonable # is $12-$15/amp @ 110v in Washington.

sorry, I recognized that I had a typo when I left my house, on the road already I mean $13/amp, not per kwh. And it's at @120V. It seems $13/amp is a good deal, when it's including all power, UPS, cooling... here in Washington.