Stay with ipowerweb or switch?

Hi, all.

I have a fairly simple site I use to showcase my short films and videography work:

joshbass.com (I haven't posted enough to make than an active link yet)

As you may or may not be able to tell from the site, I am currently using Ipowerweb. I only found out about their HORRIBLE reputation after I signed up, and hadn't really had enough issues to leave since then.

Recently, however, they've transferred all their clients' sites to a new hosting platform (I'm not tecchy with web design, so I don't know what that means), and now their old web builder tool doesn't exist anymore. The only way to edit my site now is with old timey HTML based text editing, or I can rebuild it from scratch using one of their new web creation tools. This just seems retarded to me. I feel I should either be able to edit the site graphically like I used to, or they should be able to transfer the site contents so I can use one of the new tools (which they said was impossible). So it appears I'm stuck.

Now I know my site is super simple and wouldn't really require much to rebuild, but it's more about the principle of the thing. Plus, what if I did have some fancy site with all kinds of complex stuff? I'd still be screwed.

Anyway, should I stay or go? I don't see needing anything really fancy in a new host. . .bandwidth and disk space are important, the ability to watch the videos easily is important; credit card payments and things of the like are not.

Thanks.

I think you've answered your own question. You seem to feel pretty unsafe there, so maybe its time to switch to a safer host.

You said that bandwidth and disk space are important. Just how much do you need? Most people don't even use 1% of what ipowerweb offers. They are one of the biggest oversellers out there, hence all the trouble.

I would suggest not going with a massive overseller in the future. Instead, figure out how much space/bandwidth you *really* need, and get a plan to match.

If you are worried about how much your site might grow in the future, find a host with a good upgrade path.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Since you already have to recreate your site, I suggest you to do it with a WYSIWYG editor, in that way you wont need to rely in your webhost site builder (whichever it was).

About to stay or not in Ipower, I never hosted directly with them, but I had to move some customers sites from their servers to ours, and their Mysql servers and control panel is incredible slow, sometimes to refresh a page took over 1 minute. If I were you, I would move without any doubt.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

As time goes on changes to servers and control panels are necessary. Unfortunately, there are situations when an upgrade is not backwards compatible. If you weren't notified of the change I would certainly keep that in mind as a negative and use it a tie-breaker in the event that other factors were causing concern.

How has your experience been without regard to the missing editor?
    Did they change control panels to one that is very common, such as cPanel?
    UD Network Solutions
    http://udns.us

Well, when I got the account, it wasn't THAT much harddisk space. I can't remember how much bandwidth it was, but HD space was around 800mb, (I think the bandwidth was a similar number) which isn't much for video.

Are you guys saying even if I went with a new host, I wouldn't be able to transfer the site as is?

Who do you recommend? The plan I had at Ipower was around $100 for the year.

Check around in the offers section on this forum and others. Send a few pre-sales emails to companies that catch your eye.
    Cpanel Hosting - Fast , Reliable, Stable, Secure - Since 1996
    CPanel/WHM • Fantastico • RVSkin • Dual Quad Core Servers • Raid 10 • 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

Ok, so, if I rebuild the site with FrontPage, will I then be able to take it with me if I jump ship?

Well you'd' probably be a lot better off than you are now. A lot more hosts will support Frontpage than whatever web building tool iPowerweb used to offer I'd imagine.
    CPanel/WHM • Fantastico • RVSkin • Dual Quad Core Servers • Raid 10 • 24x7 Toll-Free Phone Support

Ok, I see that MS has discontinued Front Page. I'm about to get a Mac anyway. I think I'll wait before I do something stupid.

To answer some of the earlier questions I overlooked:

-yes, they did notify of the change. I was not aware that their web editor would be invalidated by it, though that could have been something I just didn't catch that they did disclose.

-the only real issues I've had with them besides this is that sometimes when I was uploading video files to the site, they would fail and I'd have to redo it several times, for no apparent reason.

If you feel unsafe with them you should transfer. There are many hosts out there that offer SiteBuilder so you can build your website in minutes.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Well, I guess now I'm wondering, what if I change hosts, and the the new host upgrades and the same thing happens all over again? So now it looks like I need to buy some standalone software that isn't only built into the site, but are all sites compatible with all these types of software (i.e. dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc.)

If you must rely on WYSIWYG editors, DreamWeaver is the only one I would suggest.

HTML is fairly easy to learn, however, so that is always the preferred option if you have time. You could learn the basics in a couple of days.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Plus, what if I did have some fancy site with all kinds of complex stuff?
    If you'd have that, it would not most likely be relying on a host's sitebuilder, and be using a script and databases.

Since you already have to recreate your site, I suggest you to do it with a WYSIWYG editor, in that way you wont need to rely in your webhost site builder (whichever it was).
    I agree with Jedito. Start clean, and do it right. You can find lots of free templates to kick start your work. http://www.freecsstemplates.org/ features templates that I like.

Anyway, should I stay or go?
    Well, other people's experiences must come into play in your decision, but the fact that you've been satisfied so far is not to be neglected either. Toss a coin?

Ok, so, let's say I get dreamweaver, and use that to rebuild the site. If whoever I choose next (I might just wait my contract out 'til April when it expires) does the same thing, upgrades in such a way as to screw up my editing abilities, I can just reupload to the new platform, no problem, yes?

So, can you take an existing site and "save" it into dreamweaver--the directory tree, the individual files, etc.? Or does that not work? Sorry to be igorant. . .I know the very basics of HTML (took a class long ago), but new to most of this.

You are correct. Dreamweaver will save your site, so you can just upload it again.

The only situation where you might have trouble is if your site uses a lot of interactive forms. Even then, Dreamweaver will still allow editing of HTML, you just might have to manually update a few settings with some of your scripts, something with which the new host could probably help.
    eVerity.com

You have a fairly simple and straightforward site. If you're getting a Mac, you could even use something like iWeb, which is part of the iLife package. It produces really nice looking sites and is incredibly easy to use. Then, as with all WYSIWYG type editors, you'll "have" your site with you, so you'll be able to transfer it to another host again, regardless of what site editor software they use, should the need arise. Of course you'll be better off in the long run just learning that "old timey" HTML in the first place and something like Dreamweaver will let you design visually AND edit code, but if you're on a Mac and want to bang out an impressive looking website quickly, iWeb is a pretty cool tool.

Nay, no interactive forms. My site is super simple.

It's pretty much just a couple gallery pages. I have a picture/still which links to a video file. Rinse and repeat.

I have been with ipowerweb for five year , and recently it been horrible, you should change your host asap , if they move you to Vdeck than notthing work , they just moved my site to Vdeck and everything wiped out with a empty root folder, i reupload my back up but can't run anything , they only give error message:

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
    The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.

i have been ask them to fix but they only ask what is the error , what is your security question , after 2 week of best support the problem not solve but they ask the same question again . You better move before too late .

I copy some of the email to prove it! Have to edit all the link out due to regulate of this forum .

1/first notify of moving to Vdeck from my hotmail

Important: IPOWER Account Moving to New Platform Next Week‏

Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark As Safe|Mark As Unsafe
    Sent: Wed 12/05/07 2:16 PM
    To: [email protected]

top border

IPOWER Logo

vDeck 3.0: A Change Is Coming

Dear xxxxx,

Your "xxxxx" account is scheduled to be moved to the new IPOWER platform on 12/14/2007,12:00:00AM EST. ...

2/ finish transfer

Transition Complete for Your xxxxx Account‏

Sent: Fri 12/14/07 1:05 AM

Dear xxxxx,

Welcome to vDeck 3.0 and the new hosting platform!

The Web site and e-mail for your "thanhnie" account has been
    moved onto the new IPOWER platform. You now have access
    to vDeck 3.0 and all the new tools and services that come with it,
    as well as the additional security and reliability the new hosting
    architecture provides. ....

3/ first reply and ask for security question

xxxxxx / Web Site Management [C03932739xxx69xx]‏

Sent: Wed 12/19/07 9:34 AM

Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for your patience. We apologize that it has taken longer than usual to get back to you.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I was able to duplicate your issue. In order to investigate on your issue, please get back to us with the answer to the Security Question of your account ‘xxxx’. The Security Question is: What city were you born in?

In addition to e-mail, we also offer both Chat and Phone Support. These options may help you to resolve your issue quicker, as you will be talking directly to one of our agents. If you wish to chat with us, please click on the "Live Chat" link at xxxxxxxx. If you would rather want to talk to one of our support agents on the phone, you can call us at 1-888-511-4678 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please reply to this e-mail with the requested information, so that we can assist you further.

Sincerely,

Stuart Thomas
    Customer Support

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    > Hi!
    >
    > I don't know if it have been transfer yet. But i looked at my root folder a=
    > nd it is empty , not things left in there , i don't see any of my data in t=
    > here . wouldn't it be transfer everything from my old to the new one ?
    >
    >
    >
    > xxxx=20
    >
    >
    >

4/ another

xxxx / Site Not Workingh after Transition[C039xxxx0053xxxxx]‏

High riskThis message may be a phishing scam.
    Sent: Fri 12/21/07 5:16 PM

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for your cooperation.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. I have check your account and noticed that, your domain is redirecting to a URL xxxxxxx. I was also not able to find the index file in the account. I also checked the PHCp script in your account and the script s not working. In order to further investigate on this issue, please get back to us with the exact error message that you received along with the answer of the Security Question for authentication. What city were you born in?

Please reply to this e-mail with the requested information, so that we can assist you further.

Sincerely,

Max Kelso
    Customer Support
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Hi!
    > =20
    > After the transfer , my site become useless cause can't run anything, not t=
    > hings left of my data and the new place can't run anything even the attach =
    > scripts include in the new Vdeck, i upload the phpinfo.php to test if php i=
    > s running or not and it doesn't show anything but error 500, please please =
    > take a look into this , last time i ask for fix the database and was not re=
    > ceive any help that i request and now you guy move my site to the new Vdeck=
    > and everything wiped out and can do nothing with it , request feed back fr=
    > om me if the site working or not and have been 3 day i got no help or reply=
    > by email .=20
    > =20
    > xxxx

5/ After 2 day later

xxxx / To Restore the Files [C0393xxx539xxxx]‏

Medium riskYou may not know this sender.Mark AS Safe|Mark As Unsafe
    Sent: Sun 12/23/07 11:52 AM

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for your reply.

We apologize that it has taken longer than usual to get back to you. Per your request, I have moved the files from old platform to new. The files will be restoring within couple of hours.

If you have any further questions, you can e-mail us seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

Sincerely,

Susan Scott
    Customer Support

> Hi!
    >
    > The security question is =3D xxxx
    > I have been sent the email include the support ticket , i just ask you guy =
    > to fix it right so i can re upload so my site can run , please just fix bef=
    > ore you ask anything else , i didn't ask too much just fix the php and wher=
    > e is the databse need to be point to .=20
    >
    >
    >
    > xxxx
    >
    >

6/ Email said everything fix and my file have been restore but nothing restore and this is just received

xxxxx / web site management [C0393xxxxx00543xxxx]‏
    Sent: Tue 12/25/07 4:46 AM

Hello xxxx,

Thank you for contacting Support.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Could you please get back to us with the answer for the security Question set in your account: What city were you born in? So that we can authenticate you as the owner of the account and can investigate further on your issue.

Sincerely,

Henry Samson
    Customer Support
    > The thing i was asking for is fix the error ( 500 error ), cause i have wro=
    > te many time that the server that where my account on can't run anything . =
    > PhP not working, can't install anything and even you move my old file back =
    > it still useless because after you guy moving my site to Vdeck , the new Vd=
    > eck is not working, why are you guy moving people to the new platform and i=
    > s it not working and don't even check if it work before that or the files h=
    > ave been moved, now what i got is a empty root folder and anything that i u=
    > pload to redo my site is can't run just because the Vdeck is dead . All the=
    > scripts include in Vdeck can't install and the dpmain forward is not worki=
    > ng .
    >
    > Before you guy doing anything , just fix the Vdeck, PHP ,if not just move m=
    > y account to the old server like before , at least at the old one i still =
    > can run somethings. Don't just say sorry this and that and don't fix anythi=
    > ngs.
    >
    >
    > xxxxx
    >

There some more i sent at the support ticket but i think this is enough , i just wish no one have the same situation that i'm in , stay away from them , can't not used the word nightmare to fit this kind of support , i think it more like daymare . If anyone have account with them back up before they move to Vdeck , because it will be Vdead after they moved the site .

Merry Christmas to everyone .

PS: cause i don't have the permission to post link so i have to edit some of the link in my email to none link .

No, I believe you. Did you try your hostname followed by .ipower.com? That works for my website:

joshbass.com

or

joshbass.ipower.com are both valid addresses now. As I said, the site still works, and even if it ceases to, I downloaded the pages, so not too hard to rebuild. I might just let it run out in April and then switch. Or I might not.

if you download your site files from ftp any editor will be able to help you change whatever you need

Well, I figure if I'm rebuilding, I might as well reformat too. I'm using Iweb, which meets my simple needs for now. No point in getting Dreamweaver.

I'm using Iweb, which meets my simple needs for now. No point in getting Dreamweaver.
    Given your simple needs, it looks like a sensible decision to me.

Another of my client has been waiting for more than 3 weeks with the same sort of bad customer support issues as faced by lazz. And the best part of the story is that when I made a phone call today to their customer support or tried to chat live with them, NOBODY responded despite holding me on phone for more than 2 hours and about 10 repetitive such phone calls today. But when I called their sales, they were prompt. What a great way of running a business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aatayyab View Post
    Another of my client has been waiting for more than 3 weeks with the same sort of bad customer support issues as faced by lazz. And the best part of the story is that when I made a phone call today to their customer support or tried to chat live with them, NOBODY responded despite holding me on phone for more than 2 hours and about 10 repetitive such phone calls today. But when I called their sales, they were prompt. What a great way of running a business!!!
    Further evidence that you can't judge a host by its sales department.
    eVerity.com

I would suggest you switch.