350 Cermak/600 S Federal meet-me areas?

I've read that TelX is now managing "meet me areas" in 350 Cermak and 600 S Federal on behalf of Digital Realty Trust. I'm curious about how this works alongside each tenant's own cross-connects.

Telx' website says "cross connects to the hundreds of Meet Me Area wholesale and enterprise network operators... and No Monthly Recurring Fees". Free cross-connects sounds nice.

For practical purposes, who is placing FDPs into the MMA? Tenants of Equinix (or Server Central)? Tenants of S&D or L3 in Printers Square?

This is extremely misleading, borderline false advertising.
    Telx is competing with Switch and Data, Equinix, etc in the same buildings owned by Telx in Chicago and Atlanta.
    The way you read it, you think that you can cross-connect to any client in Switch and Data for free, right? NOPE.
    It costs over $1k per month to cross connect from Telx meet me room to a client or carrier in Switch and Data or Equinix. No, I am not kidding.
    The way you read it, you think that there are hundreds of carriers in the MMR at 350 Cermak, right? NOPE. I checked a couple weeks ago and there are like a dozen.
    And nope, you can not use Server Central to cross-connect from Telx to Equinx at 350 Cermak for less then $1k per month
    It is almost the same cost to use Cogents metro ethernet product as use Telxs' rip-off product and their egregious pricing

Add on the $500 per use fee for the freight elevator, and I am gonna use my crsytal ball to guess that a lot of folk will NOT be using Telx at 350 Cermak

Thanks for the clarification. So, if I'm understanding correctly: DLR owns the buildings, and TelX manages a building-wide MMR (that almost nobody uses). TelX claims cross-connects in the building MMR are free, but it costs $1k to get from the MMR to S&D or Equinix. Is the extra $1k charge coming from Equinix/S&D for an "extended cross-connect to the MMR" or something, or does it come from TelX?

TelX manages a building-wide MMR
    No, Telx MMR is on 2nd floor only at 350 Cermak.
    Equinix has a separate MMR for 5th and 6th floors.
    Qwest is totally separate, on the 8th floor.

No, there are not hundreds of carriers. 2nd floor Telx carrier list includes:
    AboveNet Communications
    BCE Nexxia Corporation (Bell)
    Comtel Telecom Assets
    Excel Telecommunications
    Fiber Tower Corporation
    Global Access Point LLC
    Global Crossing
    Intercontinental Exchange (ICE)
    OnFiber Communications
    Qwest Communications
    ServerCentral
    Sprint Communications
    T-Systems
    XO Communications

My understanding at 350 Cermak is that the extra $1k charge coming from Telx to connect to Equinix; then Equinix charges their standard $250-300 fee on top of that. For one pair of fiber.

So basically you are having the same cat fight at 350 Cermak that everyone was having at 56 Marietta before Telx bought it.

Frigging absurd.

If I had a sense of humor I would get a cabinet on the 2nd floor, do a cross-connect to my stuff on the 6th floor, and do a building peering point. OOooopppss, cant do that, Equinix regulations prohibit that

Thanks, Dennis. I had read the TelX/DLR press release from last year, and apparently misunderstood:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...-me-rooms.html

Re: a building peering point on 2nd floor, I take it that you're not allowed to trunk-in a set of VLANs from an outside peering point? Pity. EQ could use a little competitive pressure. If you can't work around them with x-c's, how about a fabric? Last I heard, Eq/CHI wanted $4.5k/mo for a gigE port to their Exchange fabric. It would be cheaper for everyone to buy "transit" from some cheap Tier-2 and use the Tier-2 as a one-hop exchange.

Anyways, is anyone running a Chi colo based on a cheap/free x-c model?

Try $10k for a Gig-e on Equinix chicago now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1-dollar-per-mbps View Post
    This is extremely misleading, borderline false advertising.
    Telx is competing with Switch and Data, Equinix, etc in the same buildings owned by Telx in Chicago and Atlanta.
    The way you read it, you think that you can cross-connect to any client in Switch and Data for free, right? NOPE.
    It costs over $1k per month to cross connect from Telx meet me room to a client or carrier in Switch and Data or Equinix. No, I am not kidding.
    The way you read it, you think that there are hundreds of carriers in the MMR at 350 Cermak, right? NOPE. I checked a couple weeks ago and there are like a dozen.
    And nope, you can not use Server Central to cross-connect from Telx to Equinx at 350 Cermak for less then $1k per month
    It is almost the same cost to use Cogents metro ethernet product as use Telxs' rip-off product and their egregious pricing

Add on the $500 per use fee for the freight elevator, and I am gonna use my crsytal ball to guess that a lot of folk will NOT be using Telx at 350 Cermak
    I don't really see how it is misleading. TelX does not charge a monthly cross connect fee. You pay to run the fiber there and then for a one-time fee for the cross connect itself. If you're dependent on say Switch and Data or Equinix they will most likely charge you to use their fiber to the MMR, but those are fees from Switch and Data or Equinix, not TelX.

Also, no it does not necessarily cost that much to go from the MMR to Equinix. If you pay that much, you'd be getting dedicated fiber pairs. If you don't need to push more than 1 Gbit/sec it would be easier and much cheaper just using someone who already has fiber between the two locations. Even if you're just using the fiber, you could easily run 10 GigE over it, or otherwise multiple GigE or 10 GigE channels.

Could you please explain how charging $350 one-time fees to TelX is a rip-off?

Also, there are definitely more than a dozen networks available in the MMR at 350 E Cermak.

Note: With our space on the 2nd floor I deal directly with the building, directly with TelX, and with space in Equinix I'm familiar with dealing through them for these types of connections as well.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Also, no it does not necessarily cost that much to go from the MMR to Equinix
    Educate us please Karl. I contacted Equinix, AboveNet, Telx, ServerCentral, and two carriers to cross-connect from 2nd to 6th floors. Quotes ranged from $1,100 to $2,300 per month.

there are definitely more than a dozen networks available in the MMR at 350 E Cermak.
    Telx document titled 'Telx GlobalMarketplace' dated Sept 2007 shows the above list for 350 Cermak.
    What other carriers are on the 2nd floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nugent View Post
    Educate us please Karl. I contacted Equinix, AboveNet, Telx, ServerCentral, and two carriers to cross-connect from 2nd to 6th floors. Quotes ranged from $1,100 to $2,300 per month.

Telx document titled 'Telx GlobalMarketplace' dated Sept 2007 shows the above list for 350 Cermak.
    What other carriers are on the 2nd floor?
    Well, I have several cross connects between the 5th and 2nd floors, I believe about 10. Some are just GigE's trunked through someone else's gear and the others are dedicated pairs of fiber, I'm not paying $1000 a month or more for any of them.... I know some that can do GigE's, FastE's, etc., trunked over their own gear, etc. at some very affordable rates.

I have a list from Digital Realty Trust, that is about 5 months old, and even that shows more than 20 different networks that are available in the MMR, and I know some have been added since then. Sorry, but I can't publicly distribute that list.

Honestly, if you have any questions about 350 E Cermak I'll be happy to help, even if it isn't regarding our services. I've basically lived in the building for the past several years, so...
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by 1-dollar-per-mbps View Post
    Add on the $500 per use fee for the freight elevator ...
    You're kidding. Right? That is the most absurd thing I have heard of in this business yet.

Randal

Quote Originally Posted by randalk View Post
    You're kidding. Right? That is the most absurd thing I have heard of in this business yet.

Randal
    Yes, he is kidding, I'm assuming, as I've used the freight elevator at all hours of the day and night for no charge.

I believe Equinix charges $500 in off-hour times for use of the freight elevator. I could be wrong however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubz31 View Post
    I believe Equinix charges $500 in off-hour times for use of the freight elevator. I could be wrong however.
    If so, that is completely Equinix's decision, as neither TelX, who has no control over the freight elevators anyway, or the building charge anything. Even when going through Equinix I'd only ever be charged for SmartHands time.

They charge their smart hands fee. Depending on your contract and time of day of the request, cost could vary. But $250 is more in the ballpark.