where is the best place in US to colo?

if you could host a US ecommerce site anywhere, where would that be? is it better to host in the midwest to reach both coasts faster? is it cheaper to host in the sticks vs big cities?

we use 1/2 rack and only about 2mb/s bandwidth.... we currently host near NYC, but find that we never go to the datacenter anyway, so why pay for the convenience?

Dallas. a good mix of quality and cost-effectiveness.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

Take a look at where your traffic is going, where the viewers are, and place your equipment accordingly.
    If your target market is the US, then Ashburn is my preferred response. Several reasons: US demographics favor the east coast, network connectivity, peering, and NOT in NYC.
    It is cheaper to host in the big cities.
    If you are doing only a couple of mbps then consider Philly also.

If your customers in the US only, like Dennis mentioned, Ashburn is a good place. You might want to find out some companies inside Equinix there.
    However, I myself have been used CyberWurx datacenter, it's very good from my view. And I believe it's much cheaper than hosting in NYC.
    If you want some where in Central, Colo4Dallas is a good option. We have servers here too, and no complain about facility

Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    If your customers in the US only, like Dennis mentioned, Ashburn is a good place. You might want to find out some companies inside Equinix there.
    However, I myself have been used CyberWurx datacenter, it's very good from my view. And I believe it's much cheaper than hosting in NYC.
    If you want some where in Central, Colo4Dallas is a good option. We have servers here too, and no complain about facility

Asburn, without a doubt. We have an IPv4 anycast DNS system with one cluster in SFO with Internap, and one cluster @ Equinix in Ashburn, with Internap. 75% of our traffic gets routed to Ashburn, it seems to be the most routing/fiber rich place in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by mhalligan View Post
    Asburn, without a doubt. We have an IPv4 anycast DNS system with one cluster in SFO with Internap, and one cluster @ Equinix in Ashburn, with Internap. 75% of our traffic gets routed to Ashburn, it seems to be the most routing/fiber rich place in the country.
    I thought those were 60 hudson, 1 wilshire, and 56 marietta....

56 Marietta is a flea on the tail of the dog compared to Herndon/Ashburn.
    1 Wilshire is a peering hub for Southern Calif, and carriers a fraction of the traffic that San Jose/Palo Alto/San Francisco does.
    Far more traffic goes through 111 8th bulding then through 60 Hudson in NYC

Equinx Ashburn and 529 Bryant (the 1st PAIX) pass the most packets on either end of the coast, followed by 118th and 1 Wilshire for the North East and South West.....In the central US you have 350 Cermark(Chicago) and 1950 Stemmons.(Dallas)....If it's all US traffic and spread evenly you may want to consider Chicago or Dallas. When choosing a provider there it is important to see what suites they are in and who they are connect to there. The carrier diversity in the different MMR's in those buildings varies greatly....