Anonymous hostnames/nameservers

What are anonymous hostnames and nameservers?

They seem to be quite popular among the larger hosts. Is it simply a non-branded domain, not associated with the business name/main domain itself.

I take it, this generic domain that is used for the anonymous hostname/nameservers is not hosted to any site?

Just a bit confused about it.

Thanks.

An anonymous hostname could be something like server1.hostingitright.com. It's a domain that tries not to lead back to the host, and this is done to protect resellers on that server. Google is a real pain here, if you're trying to keep a server's hostname anonymous for your resellers.

That server could have default nameservers, of ns7.hostingitright.com and ns8.hostingitright.com or each reseller would have their own nameservers.

Hope that helps.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Thanks bob, that makes perfect sense. Yeah, I guess it`s hard with google and other bots sniffing out and indexing the supposed "hidden/anonymous" domain.

Maybe this should be in the technical support forum, but it`s something that has been puzzling me all day and is hostname related.

I was looking at a few of the larger hosting companies, more especially the nameservers they use. These companies likely have tens, hundred even thousands of servers probably all the using the same anonymous domain with different hostname for the server. What was puzzling me was, they all seem to use the same two nameservers for each server, or perhaps just a couple of sets of nameservers.

I would think with having one hundred servers, would there not be two hundred different nameservers, ns1&ns2, ns3&ns4 ......? I know I`m wrong here, but I clearly don`t understand how this hostname and nameserver thing for multiple servers is working!!!!

Thanks to any one who can explain this for me.

Hello Surf,

Most compaines only have 2 name servers but have 1,000 servers. It would be really hard to manage all those nameservers. What they do is have 2 dedicated DNS boxes that hosts all the records. One server is ns1.hostingcompany.com and the second server is ns2.hostingcompany.com. Each of the servers sends DNS changes to the main nameserver boxes. This way you only have 2 DNS servers to manage vs 1,000 and don't have to worry about changing DNS if you move an account from one server to another.

Makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by surf2bob View Post
    I would think with having one hundred servers, would there not be two hundred different nameservers, ns1&ns2, ns3&ns4 ......? I know I`m wrong here, but I clearly don`t understand how this hostname and nameserver thing for multiple servers is working!!!!

Thanks to any one who can explain this for me.
    What you're missing is that hostname != domain name.

With multiple servers using the same "anonymous" domain name, each one will still have a unique hostname. So you'll get:
    • apollo.anonymousdomain.com using ns1 and ns2.apollo.anonymousdomain.com
    • aardvark.anonymousdomain.com using ns1 and ns2.aardvark.anonymousdomain.com

etc.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    Hello Surf,

Most compaines only have 2 name servers but have 1,000 servers. It would be really hard to manage all those nameservers. What they do is have 2 dedicated DNS boxes that hosts all the records. One server is ns1.hostingcompany.com and the second server is ns2.hostingcompany.com. Each of the servers sends DNS changes to the main nameserver boxes. This way you only have 2 DNS servers to manage vs 1,000 and don't have to worry about changing DNS if you move an account from one server to another.

Makes sense?
    Oh ok, I understand, but as for how it works, then no I don`t understand!!! Is there a article on this for dummies? Would love to learn how this is done. I have to learn somewhere.

Oh, I assume there are third party dns service providers that can do the above?