What to backup in Fedora Core

Hi

A current dedicated server from godaddy has Fedora Core 2 and I want it upgraded to Fedora Core 7 or 8 (though mentioned FC6 in the link).
    Its also mentioned
    WARNING: Upgrading to a new operating system requires that your server be reprovisioned and the operating system reloaded. Reprovisioning erases all of the content on the server hard drive. All of your data will be lost. We strongly recommend that you back up your data before initiating the operating system upgrade.
    I would like to know what to backup before making this upgrade.

One I know is /var/www/vhosts/
    Is it better to do a mysqldump of all databases or backup /var/lib/mysql directory ?
    No Emails as they're mapped to google-apps.

Thanks

What to backup depends on what you have installed. You may want to backup configuration files for the Web server, DNS, etc. Other than that, you shouldn't need much other than the actual Web site and database files.

If you plan to bring up the same version of MySQL, then you can simply backup the binary data as opposed to doing a MySQL Dump. Just make sure the files are in the location where MySQL is going to look for them when you restore the data from the old server.
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

/home /var/lib/mysql /var/www /etc are good starting points.

CHeck out the software rdiff-backup (best if you google it, I cant seem to add URLs). It may be a better idea to use this utility to just backup the whole / if you have the space. But make sure you do it remotely, especially if you're upgrading.

Good luck with it.

I dont want configuration files as Im using the default one when setup by goDaddy for FC2. Intend to the same on FC8.

Theres just have a couple of html/css files in /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs which I need backup.

MySQL upgrade is going to be from ver 3.23 to 5.0 - so I guess I better do a mysqldump after all.