Require no power, no bandwidth

Well almost none!

I have a very reliable Rackshack server. My concern is what to do if it goes AWOL for any reason.

I've used ZoneEdit & Secondary.Com etc for slave zones and secondary mailservers etc. But I am not getting the flexibility I need.

A solution would be a junk secondary server providing slave DNS and backup mailserver. In emergency it could serve skeletal sites to keep people off my back till I sort the prime server.

A 64Mb P-100 would do the job. Indeed there is one in my garage doing it right now. But ADSL is not reliable enough and all the dedicated sellers stress bandwidth/power which I don't need and I don't want to pay for...

Is there not a dedicated supplier of extremely mature servers that just need a quiet life as they approach retirement? The cost of provision would be little more than the electricity to keep the fans rolling :-)

Re: Require no power, no bandwidth

Originally posted by bizz
    The cost of provision would be little more than the electricity to keep the fans rolling :-)
    As I remember it was Fan running, you didn't have to put a cooling fan on anything bellow a P-100

Why not just get a little shared hosting account then? Just put a status page on there.

An old server is actually more messy; you have to factor in the costs for electricity, rackspace, and network configuration, among others.

Peter

Already got shared access but not the solution I need.

The point is when playing around with DNS zones you appear to need root access to authorise/change zone transfers...

Root access implies 'ownership' of the box.

How 'bout a virtual private server? They are relatively inexpensive. Around, $35 on up...

Virtual Private? Sounds ideal if it gives me 'root access' and allows me to run Webmin or something simple like that...

Any recommendations?

Hmmm...

http://www.vpservers.com/ already come with Webmin installed.

http://remarkablehosting.com/private.php
    http://www.vehost.us

I've used them both and recomend em'...

Webmin is preinstalled w/ vehost.us
    Signature.

Eureka!

Vehost.com looks just what I am looking for. Ideal for secondary DNS & mailservers - 3Gb/ month should be ample.

What worries me is $8.95! This is such good value - I'm worried I've missed how they make money on this!

Should I worry about anything?

Eureka!

Vehost.com looks just what I am looking for. Ideal for secondary DNS & mailservers - 3Gb/ month should be ample.

What worries me is $8.95! This is such good value - I'm worried I've missed how they make money on this!

Should I worry about anything?
    I suppose you could try out their 14 day free trial and see how much you like it, but I'm sure you won't have any problems...

I started my trial last night and I'm impressed so far.

I also tried vpservers.com (whose sign up procedure was uncoincentally identical) but there is a big difference in cost.

When I see things too cheap I worry - either its seriously underpriced and won't last, or there is a catch somewhere.

Have you used them for a while and found no problem?

I started my trial last night and I'm impressed so far.

I also tried vpservers.com (whose sign up procedure was uncoincentally identical) but there is a big difference in cost.

When I see things too cheap I worry - either its seriously underpriced and won't last, or there is a catch somewhere.

Have you used them for a while and found no problem?
    I'm the same as you; I'm very skeptical around overly-cheap things but to be honest vehost.us was perfect, no flwas no bs or anything, they seemed to work perfectly fine. I no longer use virtual dedicated servers though, I recently purchased my own dedicated server.

The only negative thing I saw was, (from the traces I did) they only have one connection to UUNet and that's it... No redaundancy or anything, so that may be a drawback if your doing anything mission cirtial, I suppose. But overall I was very happy with them.

About vpservers.com they may use the same software as vehost, but I'm almost pretty sure they aren't resellers becasue their servers are located on a totally different network than vehost's network.

take a look at colossus.net cheapo plans.

there network is rock solid.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

http://www.*******.com/products/virtuozzo/

That's the name of the software both companies use for their virtual dedicated servers. Vehost just sells their plans alot cheaper than vpservers.com...

edit-> hmm, looks like they spammed the boards, not a good sign...

Just read here to find the site: http://www.vpservers.com/data/about_vps.html
    Last edited by citrus; 08-09-2002 at 10:19 AM.
    Signature.

Interesting idea

So, what did you do to setup vehost.us as the backup mail server and webpage?

This is a great idea. The first, main server goes down and the second one takes over. I would assume you would have the name servers listed on each domain for ns1.domain.com for your main service and ns3.domain.com pointing to the backup service.

You could have it so that any hit for any domain on the secondary server would bring up a temporarily down webpage. Brilliant!

How about the mail though? So the secondary service would catch the mail while the primary is down, but how would the customers check mail on both servers?

If you can, I would really appreciate you giving a little info on implementing this. I have a few customers that would appreciate knowing they are backedup.

-WC-