Multiple mail server setup

Hi!

I need some general direction, hopefully I can get some help...

First the run down...

I work for an ISP providing service to several thousand customers...

We are now taking on multi-millions of emails everyday (sometimes over a billion) (we purchased a couple of smaller ISPs and moved them to our mailserver)

Since the move from their old servers to the new... our uptime on our pop3/smtp server ran about 11... we had to institute a mail filtering server... it was getting around 2500 concurrent connections to the server and running an even higher uptime, and delaying emails around 8 minutes per message!

Our POP3/SMTP server is Redhat 9 (I know its old, but it still runs good) (Dual Xeon 2.8 HT 2 GB RAM NO RAID)... our frontend filtering server is FreeBSD (Dual Xeon 3.06 2 GB RAM RAID5)

Needless to say our current setup cannot handle the amount of email being processed... We need to implement amavisd back into the filtering equation so that spamassassin will filter mail based on the user preferences and delivered to procmail to our POP3/SMTP server so that it has no load basically...

SOOOOO what I want to do is this (please correct anywhere im going wrong):

I want to have a main incoming mail processing server (does RBL rejects and anything left over it will pass on to another server)

But the kicker is, I want the mail processing server to do this (we will call it mx1.troubledisp.com):

Incoming Mail->mx1.troubledisp.com

mx1.troubledisp.com->mx2.troubledisp.com
    (But I want 3 servers in the middle, mx2, mx3,mx4)

Basically I want one message to go to one server, one to go to another, and so on... So basically EVERY message that comes in will go to a different mx server, not just loading up 1 server until it cant process anymore....

Then after it is processed it needs to go to the original mail.troubledisp.com

So if email #1 is received it will go like this:

mx1.troubledisp.com->mx2.troubledisp.com->mail.troublesisp.com

When email #2 comes in it goes like this:

mx1.troubledisp.com->mx3.troubledisp.com->mail.troubledisp.com

Is this setup possible? Any good reading?

Thanks!

One quick note...

for the spamassassin setup...

mx2, mx3, and mx4 will all be linked to a MySQL database which has all the user prefs in it... the filtering on the 3 servers will ALL be the same.. i just want to individually distribute the load based on emails...

#1 -> mx2
    #2 -> mx3
    #3 -> mx4
    #4 -> mx2
    #5 -> mx3
    #6 -> mx4

I hope you guys get what im saying.. hopefully this is possible...

What MTAs do you currently run?
    WK Woon
    CTO | http://www.aflexi.net - A flexible Network
    Building the next generation CDN platform - DEMO .... coming soon

get a hardware load balancer and 3 or so servers mirrored all tied to the same mysql server on RAID5, this way you'll have 3 redundant mail servers splitting the load, one can even go down, your server load would just go up until you replaced the busted server, and your mysql database server will have RAID 5 protection. Just my thoughts.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

pm me me with your details and I can try to get a few peeps to help you directly
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033