Windows license how to get?

Hi Everyone,

I am curious is there a way to lease a Windows license from some company? I have a hosting customer, who wishes to get a Windows server, but I cannot apply for all kinds of volume licensing a stuff like this, as I only need one license. A retail version costs a whole lot, so is there some way to get it leased or on some kind of discount terms. How do you get windows licenses?

Thanks

It comes bundled with the box. It should cost you around $20/month for Windows 2003 Standard and $35 for Windows 2003 Enterprise.

Thanks,
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

I believe the OP is saying that he has a server for the customer but needs the windows license.

Will be tough to do torqhost if that is what you meant. What sure123 is saying is really just resell a windows box as that would be easier for your customer.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Well, the thing is, that I cannot resell at this point. My customer needs 8GB of RAM, 1.5TB of disks an a hardware RAID. If I buy this kind of windows box it will cost huge amounts of money and I will be just loosing money every month on this.
    I can get the hardware cheap, but Windows license is the issue here. So buying a Windows box is not going to be an option for me now.

My plan was (and still is) to compensate for the Windows cost in the long run (the customer will compensate the cost over 2 yrs of usage), but seing how 2008 will be released soon this is prooving to be a dangerous investment. Maybe there is some option of leasing just the license?

call microsoft, they have a few options tht you should be able to work with, they will of course try to push you into buying the while thing, but also, look in hte dedicated offers section, a windows server of that specs really isn't all that bad.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

You can normaly rent the license from the data center that you are in for the boxes you have withhin the DC. That is the only reselling i know about.

Sorry I too wasn't being clear.

I am saying just rent a box of that specifications from another provider like Hivelocity and take the markup and deal with your customer. This means no long term investment risk as you pay the datacenter for the server and the license and your customer pays you. You support your customer and everyone is happy.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

hmm, I looked at Hivelocity pricings and according to estimates this config would cost something like $500 / month (for unmanaged, which is what I need). But the customer is not paying so much. Basically I can provide this kind of linux hardware for around 129 euros (unmanaged, of course for this low price), so paying $500 for a leased Windows server of same specs is not getting cheaper.
    The data center is not renting anything Windows. In fact they don't care what I put there.
    Oh well, I guess I am going to go buy this Windows license. Luckily for me the customer is paying for a year in advance, so at least it won't hurt so much. Generally I think some people would still want 2003 server in a year or so, as 2008 won't be perfect right from the start. Some hosts still offer 2000 server.

Try to lease the server with the Windows 2003 installed from Dell or HP, this way you would be paying it as part of the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    Try to lease the server with the Windows 2003 installed from Dell or HP, this way you would be paying it as part of the lease.

Yes, that could be possible, I will contact them for pricing, thanks.

The only way to legally offer this to your client is for you to join the MS SPLA program (A facility with SPLA licensing can't license it to Colo customers). Other then that, the only other way is for your customer to provide their own Windows license. You can't buy a boxed copy then rent it to your customer.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices View Post
    The only way to legally offer this to your client is for you to join the MS SPLA program (A facility with SPLA licensing can't license it to Colo customers). Other then that, the only other way is for your customer to provide their own Windows license. You can't buy a boxed copy then rent it to your customer.
    No, this is not what I am doing. I know for sure, that it is legal if I register the copy for the customer's name, so I am not leasing it. It doesn't matter who buys the copy, as long as it's registered for the right person.

Moving to another DC might be a good idea as well. The other option would be to increase Windows server prices dramatically.

Definitely,

The 2 way option is to contact Microsoft or contact Data Centers to license the servers.

Your best, and easiest solution is to simply bite the bullet and buy 2003. It is pricey, however it is a one-time investment on your part.

I would imagine 2008 will be accepted in a similar way Vista has, very slow integration, which will provide you ample time to get full return on your investment of 2003.

Btw, dont go with any of those "Discount Software" emails that you may receive. Lol, I imagine you would be better off flushing your money down the drain.
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Yes, it was my initial idea, that I could re-use the software until I get return. This is just bad timing, with the new 2008 server. But, I hope it does have slow adoption speed. I will need to change my investment return calculations a bit though.

And sure, I will be buying from some local authorized reseller, don't want to get scammed .

Thanks for the help.

As long as you remember that the copy belongs to your customer should they choose to leave, because you've registered it in their name.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices View Post
    As long as you remember that the copy belongs to your customer should they choose to leave, because you've registered it in their name.
    Well, this licensing thing could get complicated, but I think it's not a problem to re-license it for another person. It has 3 activations and it could be activated for a different person next time. Many people sell used Windows licenses and this is considered legal as long as Microsoft validates Windows to be authentic. Otherwise ebay wouldn't permit this.

An example could also be selling your old hardware with licenses. The new owner can re-activate the license under a new name. I think licensing is not bound to a specific person, otherwise I would have to sign a bunch of papers while buying the Windows CDs and license, but I don't do anything like this.

SPLA doesn't apply to colo, and box copies can't be leased to customers of a hosting company...even the copies that come pre-installed on dell/hp boxes.

so either you need to buy a box copy and SELL it to him (no leasing allowed) or he can buy it himself.

Third option has already been mentioned in this thread -- resell a dedicated server to him from a company that has an SPLA agreement.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Ok, I see, well, then I will re-sell the license to him, thanks for clearing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    Btw, dont go with any of those "Discount Software" emails that you may receive. Lol, I imagine you would be better off flushing your money down the drain.
    Sorry to dissapoint you but there is many "such softwares" that release windows server and keep them up to date by having them cracked which work as a genuine copy.