PHP 4 or PHP 5? / Apache or CGI module?

Hello,

I've already asked these questions on another forum, but I think I should have asked them here. I will be getting my own dedicated server in January. I was wondering which PHP version I should install, PHP 4 or PHP 5? Until now I have always used PHP 4, but maybe I am missing out on something if I'm not using PHP 5? Maybe PHP 5 is faster? And should I install PHP as Apache or CGI module? I have a site that provides free online services for webmasters like free polls, free message boards, etc. These services uses PHP scripts. Maybe this is an important fact when deciding which version and module to use? Please advise.
    <<I don't need no stinking rules for signature setup!>>

I would suggest PHP5 since PHP4 going EOL soon. But Apache or CGI till now I am not sure which is better, maybe some experts out there can advise? Would love to know too!

PHP 4 will die in 11 days - unless you have necrophilic tendencies you should go with PHP 5.

If you do not have good reason to run it as CGI (for an example to run php 4 and 5 in paralel or to use user/group permissions and security setup independent from apache setup) you should install PHP as apache module.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    PHP 4 will die in 11 days - unless you have necrophilic tendencies you should go with PHP 5.

If you do not have good reason to run it as CGI (for an example to run php 4 and 5 in paralel or to use user/group permissions and security setup independent from apache setup) you should install PHP as apache module.
    What does it mean when you say PHP will die in 11 days? I assume all documentations and faqs will stay online? So what does it matter if it dies?

Their announcement on php.net web site

PHP 4 end of life announcement
    [13-Jul-2007]

Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

Quote Originally Posted by DeNasio View Post
    What does it mean when you say PHP will die in 11 days? I assume all documentations and faqs will stay online? So what does it matter if it dies?
    It matters a lot. For one there will be no more updates and sometime in 2008 even critical security updates will be discontinued. Almost everything that runs on PHP 4 will run PHP 5 (sometimes some small code edits might have to be made). Stuff that uses PHP 5 specific features will not run on PHP 4.

Hi!
    Well..that's all well and good..but are you going to force your users to upgrade to php5? I don't recommend it.

Most hosts have php4 as "standard" cgi (whatever that means..I've never set it up) and setup php5 as a compiled in module. The compile job is not a big deal at all..even for those without panel and easyapache.

Download php5 and the instructions are there..a "README" or "INSTALL" file. No big.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    Well..that's all well and good..but are you going to force your users to upgrade to php5? I don't recommend it.
    There's no sense in installing EOL software on a new server. Forcing users to PHP5 is going to have to happen sooner or later, especially for any admin that wants to keep their server software up to date. Might as well get it out the way before you have live users on your server.

after a year from now there will be no security or bug fixes for php4 - so my sugesstion is to upgrade your scripts ( which should work in php5 without issues most of time ), to php5 - i would kill php4 myself - and that comes from a php developer that worked with both versions of php for a long time.
    I would also ill all the mysql versions in favour of postgresql
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinlulek - my linkedIn profile
    webdeveloper for hire - XHTML, CSS3 PYTHON ,PostgreSQL, Ajax & Javascript, I build apps with Pyramid/Pylons Web frameworks using dojo toolkit for js work

Quote Originally Posted by ergo View Post
    This is very interesting. Why would you choose postgresql rather than mysql? So far I have only used mysql, but if there are huge advantages of using postgresql then I may want to switch. Since both are open source databases it won't cost me anything. Plus I don't think I will have to change the queries too much because most of the database queries are more or less the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ergo View Post
    Few years ago I would agree with you, but mysql 5 was huge leap forward and after it's release I do not see much benefit to switching between mysql and postgres. If I would be starting over in current environment deciding factor for me would be amount of community support and availability and in both of those mysql beats postgres.

Few years ago I would agree with you, but mysql 5 was huge leap forward and after it's release I do not see much benefit to switching between mysql and postgres. If I would be starting over in current environment deciding factor for me would be amount of community support and availability and in both of those mysql beats postgres.
    So what you are saying is make sure I have MySQL 5 installed?

So what you are saying is make sure I have MySQL 5 installed?
    php5 and mysql5 should satisfy the most of your potential clients.

php5 and mysql5 should satisfy the most of your potential clients.
    Actually, I'm the only client.

Actually, I'm the only client.
    In that case.. same. At least PHP5 and MySQL are a little future proof, as much as PHP can be..