What's new in Plesk 8.2?

Hey,

I have a VPS with Plesk 8.01 loaded on it.

I've recently seen many companies advertise here about Plesk 8.2. Anything worth upgrading guys?

I that famous saga of forced ADs buy SwSoft within Plesk and Virtuozzo over?

Many people were reluctant to go into Plesk 8.1 for that simple.

Thanks.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

If you do decide to upgrade to 8.2, please note that you must upgrade your Plesk in increments first. Meaning, if your running 8.01 and there is an update to bring it to 8.1.1 before 8.2 than do that update first and then do the final upgrade.

Jumping from 8.0.1 to 8.2 could break your server, so just be careful. As far as the new features, I haven't noticed anything that new or exciting about it, for me Plesk just always 'works'.

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons View Post
    If you do decide to upgrade to 8.2, please note that you must upgrade your Plesk in increments first. Meaning, if your running 8.01 and there is an update to bring it to 8.1.1 before 8.2 than do that update first and then do the final upgrade.

Jumping from 8.0.1 to 8.2 could break your server, so just be careful. As far as the new features, I haven't noticed anything that new or exciting about it, for me Plesk just always 'works'.
    Hey Sean,

Thanks for your comments. I'll remember the tip.

Well, if there are no new or exciting things in the new release, I don't thing I should upgrade.

Why tweak something which is already running fine?

If it ain't broken, don't touch it

I just posted that coz if there were any new benefits I'd have liked to pass them on to my clients

Thanks once again.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

There's a list of new stuff at:
    http://www.swsoft.com/r/pdfs/Plesk/plesk82_whatsnew.pdf

Or if you're running 8.0 still, check this too:
    http://www.swsoft.com/r/pdfs/Plesk/plesk81_whatsnew.pdf

We run 8.2 on all our own shared hosting servers, and have many VPS customers running it too. It's stable and working very well for us.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Thanks Andrew.

Is the famous Forced Advertising present in these later versions?

AFAIK, SwSoft had forced it beyond the Plesk 8.0.1 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey this way! View Post
    Thanks Andrew.

Is the famous Forced Advertising present in these later versions?

AFAIK, SwSoft had forced it beyond the Plesk 8.0.1 versions.
    Hi,

You can hide all the links except the Virtuozzo link which appears in the top-right area of the frameset. This link isn't too bad, and for us (using HSPcomplete) it's hidden completely anyway by HSPc frameset.

Andrew
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Andrew View Post
    Hi,

You can hide all the links except the Virtuozzo link which appears in the top-right area of the frameset. This link isn't too bad, and for us (using HSPcomplete) it's hidden completely anyway by HSPc frameset.

Andrew
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.
    No problem.

Arent there auto updates available in plesk?

Quote Originally Posted by Woooo View Post
    Arent there auto updates available in plesk?
    Yes but, providers block them so that you don't screw your Plesk setup.

Yes but, providers block them so that you don't screw your Plesk setup.
    Some provider block them, not all. And if you have root access to your server/VPS you can re-enable them anyway.

Automatic updates require manual starting by an administrator but will download and install the selected updates automatically. This has been known to have problems in the past with updates failing and downing Plesk and/or other services, but is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Andrew View Post
    Some provider block them, not all. And if you have root access to your server/VPS you can re-enable them anyway.

Automatic updates require manual starting by an administrator but will download and install the selected updates automatically. This has been known to have problems in the past with updates failing and downing Plesk and/or other services, but is improving.
    Yeah. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Happy Holidays!