* JaguarPC - NO Backup For My VPS after Hacked

Greetings,

I am a JaguarPC custoemr for more than 8 months now. Yesterday one of my VPS servers hacked.

OK, things happen, but when i contact the Support team asking for backup they replaied me with this ..

==========================
    2007-12-18 / 09:50:51
    Hi,

Right, but the HW node your VPS is setup on is brand new and we didn't add it it our backup system yet.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
    Edward

The support doesn't respond anything clear, just NO BACKUP at all.

and when i told him that i do not know what should i do now . here is the answer

2007-12-18 / 10:04:14
    We do daily backups of the vps, however we do not provide guarantees for it. Please check here:

http://www.jaguarpc.com/about/policies/?aup

Back-ups : Jaguar Technologies LLC performs daily backups on all of our servers to ensure critical files are never lost. Our server software does create daily backups for users sites that you may download on your own, we do not restore a file any user has accidentally deleted or modified. The back-up restoration is for emergency procedures only. You are advised to backup all of your own files to your local drive. We are not responsible for lost data, time, income or any other resource due to faulty backups or non-existent back-ups.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
    Smith

My Question is where is the protection on the Main server ? when someone can hack my site and hack my VPS using shell or anyway..
    also why they did not help me !!!!
    and what should i do now !!!!
    is it JaguarPC !!??? where is Jag to see this and answer me !!!

- Till now i cant find solution for my Problem .. and more than 40 website are infected with the exploitable code.

i do not know what to do !!!

Thank you.
    █ *Fudevs* ★ Future Developers ★
    http://www.Fudevs.com ★ Information Technology Experts ★
    █ 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 7 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support

"We are not responsible for lost data, time, income or any other resource due to faulty backups or non-existent back-ups. "

Not quite clear why you think Jaguar is to blame here?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

No matter how good a host is, you should always make local backups yourself to ensure that you don't get into situations like these!

the problem now that i cant clean my VPS .. and they also didnt help me in my Issue
    █ *Fudevs* ★ Future Developers ★
    http://www.Fudevs.com ★ Information Technology Experts ★
    █ 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 7 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support

* Moved to VPS Forum....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

It clearly states this in their AUP. You can't blame them. YOU were the one who accepted those conditions when you signed up.

It is a learning curve for you, two things, be sure to read the terms and be sure to backup your data at all costs. Data is almost impossible to recover without backups, and the cost it would take to recover data would cost a lot more than storing backups for years.

If your VPS was hacked, it was not any fault of their systems, unless they were the ones providing management and securing your VPS, however even a script you installed could have made your VPS vulnerable. This does not seem to be a case where their server was hacked but more of your VPS on their server. That is not really their fault as it's up to you as the customer to secure your own portion. They could have the host node completely secure, but if you don't have your VPS firewalled and take the proper steps to ensure security it is absolutely pointless.

Good luck to you, even hosts that take backups always say to keep your own just in case. This would be one of those cases.

Something I never understood is why people assume that other people are going to back up your data. If your data is that valuable you should keep a back up for yourself!

These two statements seem to be in conflict:

Back-ups : Jaguar Technologies LLC performs daily backups on all of our servers to ensure critical files are never lost.
    Right, but the HW node your VPS is setup on is brand new and we didn't add it it our backup system yet.
    Ok some delay might have happened. But, the OP states that he has been a customer for eight months.

In any case, the addition of the server to the backup schedule ought to have happened during the provisioning of the server, *before* any customers were sold on it.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

It's all well and good a company using a standard AUP to protect themselves But if they say they do backups then they should do them not say ahh it wasn't added to the backup cycle yet. That is negligence.

This is the 2nd case I've seen this week of a VPS provider not having a backup for a VPS, once again they stated that they did daily backups but were unable to provide any when a vps was wiped by mistake.

Yes you should do a local backup but the host have a duty of responsibility to ensure that if they say backups are done that they are actually done.