Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHTirc

WHTirc

We've taken the IRC server offline indefinitly.

Sorry about not giving advance notice. But sometimes, something comes up, you find out it takes a lot of work to fix, then you have to consider if it's worth fixin'.

We're not saying that it won't be back. We're just saying that there isn't a very big chance it'll be back.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Is this a joke?
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Surprising. Well, unexpected at the very least.
      0 Not allowed!

That's rather interesting. Is it an issue of servers, resources or administration? I'm sure I'm not the only member of the community that would be happy to contribute.

All you have to do is ask....

Best,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194
      0 Not allowed!

YOU WHAT! Care to go into any detail dennis? Seems very strange that such a strong community will remove an asset such as irc which was frequently used by alot of regular forum users.

PS. your computer clock must be wrong, it is not april 1st.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SMachiz View Post
    That's rather interesting. Is it an issue of servers, resources or administration? I'm sure I'm not the only member of the community that would be happy to contribute.

All you have to do is ask....

Best,
    Sam
    Why bother? There will likely be a new network that the regular users join but if that's going to be the case why bother calling it WHT-IRC, saves having to have the same silly rules.

Rather annoying that nobody was given notice, pathetic.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

It did have a rather obnoxiously long network name.
    You know how simple it is to setup though, right? Well?
    Oh, that's right that would be looked upon as favoritism if you went with a host in your own forums, how ironic.
    Zach E. - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256
      0 Not allowed!

Strange surprise, was never expecting this after how many years?

Ah well =[
      0 Not allowed!

dude, not cool.

where is bq going to tell his soviet russia jokes?!
      0 Not allowed!

You make Terry sad.
      0 Not allowed!

EFnet! Same place, same time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused ó For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

so who has a replacement network/channel for us to join?
    Why do they call them fingers? I never seen them fing. Oh, there they go.
      0 Not allowed!

irc.mzima.net... or whatever your favorite efnet server is.

Channel: #wht
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dkitchen View Post
    What?

Where was the consultation with the community that pay for this forum?
    I didn't know that #wht was a perk of premium membership
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    I think he meant defacto support through viewing your ads - active involvement in the community directly relates to pageviews which directly relate to revenue.

Some of us also occasionally buy ads as well... which is even more direct

Cheers,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    I didn't say it was. I am, as Sam thought, referring to the revenue the members of this forum bring iNet.

Sure there is no obligation to provide the service, but if Hotmail suddenly decided they were pulling their service without notice there would be uproar...

You get my point.
      0 Not allowed!

WHTirc is not directly connected to this board. Sure we share the same name and some of the same members but thats it. We dont publically advertise it to all new members.

Quote Originally Posted by SMachiz
    I think he meant defacto support through viewing your ads - active involvement in the community directly relates to pageviews which directly relate to revenue.
    Which related to WHTirc how?

Quote Originally Posted by dkitchen
    Sure there is no obligation to provide the service, but if Hotmail suddenly decided they were pulling their service without notice there would be uproar...
    Your comparing apples to oranges here. Hotmail stopping their services would be like us shutting down the board. We aren't closing the board, just IRC...this wont affect most members or the integrity or flow of this board in anyway
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    WHTirc is not directly connected to this board. Sure we share the same name and some of the same members but thats it. We dont publically advertise it to all new members.

Which related to WHTirc how?

Your comparing apples to oranges here. Hotmail stopping their services would be like us shutting down the board. We aren't closing the board, just IRC...this wont affect most members or the integrity or flow of this board in anyway

If I remember correctly, It WAS connected at some point, otherwise why were the mods of this board ops there? Doesn't make sense does it?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=232939 is it just me or does that thread completely contradict your post?

My point was that you shouldn't p*ss off the people who make this board what it is. Without them your forum, and business, would fall apart.

Anyway, this is a pointless debate, because providing I can talk to the people I talked to on IRC previously (which I can) I couldn't care less what iNet want to do.
    Last edited by dkitchen; 12-20-2007 at 12:58 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dkitchen
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=232939 is it just me or does that thread completely contradict your post?
    That thread is almost 1400 days old so I think it would be safe to say we dont publically advertise that thread to new members..
      0 Not allowed!

I have used the irc channel once, but there should have been a notice before its shutdown.
      0 Not allowed!

This is quite sad!!!

It means WHT is slowly headed downhill maybe......

Very upsetting

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    This is quite sad!!!

It means WHT is slowly headed downhill maybe......
    #wht was heading downhill and fast.
      0 Not allowed!

Maybe if we had some staff participation -nudge-
    Zach E. - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zacharooni View Post
    Maybe if we had some staff participation -nudge-
    Some of us need to draw a limit somewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Exclamation

On WHTIRC, we knew each other well enough that we could almost say anything to each other.

The last thing said ( I think was)

F*cking Canadian Spaz

(In reference to the guy that got the $84K mobile bill, note that there were many Canadians on the channel, and it wouldnt have been taken in offence, as everyone knew we were just joking around.)

WHTIRC should stay as it was; a less tense version of the boards, making everyone feel a bit more relaxed.

-Benji
    (ub3r: xxx)
    Last edited by Benji - ASM; 12-20-2007 at 04:35 AM.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

With some people running it who have a lot of IRC experience, it could be brought back in a much better form. (No offense intended...but a very outdated UnrealIRCd and a network name the size of ∞ don't make for a great chat network strategy). Plus letting ub3r actually connect probably didn't help things along...

I know I never stayed long because it was just plain boring.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by westcan View Post
    where is bq going to tell his soviet russia jokes?!
    In Soviet Russia, joke tells YOU!

I'm a bit disappointed that the IRC server was taken offline without notice, however it wouldn't be such a big deal to just use a #wht on one of the larger IRC networks, so it's not the end of the world if we have to migrate to another server.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    With some people running it who have a lot of IRC experience, it could be brought back in a much better form. (No offense intended...but a very outdated UnrealIRCd and a network name the size of ∞ don't make for a great chat network strategy). Plus letting ub3r actually connect probably didn't help things along...

I know I never stayed long because it was just plain boring.
    How is irc.whtirc.com a long name?
      0 Not allowed!

How is irc.whtirc.com a long name?
    The actual network name was like iNetInteractive-IRC or something.
      0 Not allowed!

so do we actually get a reason or are we left to assume it's iNet with their heads up their arses again?

It's an interesting move from a 'social' media company who specializes in vertically-focused 'communities'. One can only assume 'vertically-focused' means 'profit generating' and that iNet doesn't give a crap about some of its most valuable members.
      0 Not allowed!

Hotmail stopping their services would be like us shutting down the board. We aren't closing the board, just IRC...this wont affect most members or the integrity or flow of this board in anyway
    Why not make the premium member forums go away? One could argue that would affect an even smaller number of WHT members.

The IRC server is iNet's real estate, and it's certainly within their right to handle it as they see fit. The message that is sent by shutting this down without notice, however, is a plain lack of etiquette and respect for your user community. Clearly you're not going to shut down the forum since it's a cash cow, but given these action why should members contribute to the Wiki? Who is to say you won't just shut that down one day? Or decide that you'll start deleting PMs older than x days to save space without telling anyone? You've already set the precedent that you will remove a service that you market without giving anyone notice.

You established the service, you encouraged people to use it (even now the support knowledge base still contains information on how to get to WHT IRC), and then shut it down without any mention of it until after helpdesk tickets were opened.

One of the recurring themes on this forum is that the more experienced hosts try to convey that everything you create has a lifecycle. If you're going to establish a service, barring significant unforeseen circumstances (ie, death) it is your ethical duty to keep your client base advised of major changes to the service. I'd like to personally thank the folks involved in this decision for leading by example on this one. Well played.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."
      0 Not allowed!

INET disloyalty

This is very disappointing and I imagine many long-time WHT IRC users share a similar view. As someone who has frequented the wht irc networks for over four years, I find it rather discerning that inet management wouldn't have the decency to provide us with advanced warning. As a corporation that prides itself on running community-based properties they have set a terrible example for their members (whether paid or otherwise).

It remains my opinion that this decision reflects poorly on INET and demonstrates that they do not hold themselves to the same standard that is required of us. Although irc was a value added component of wht, management failed to comprehend the detrimental effect this will have on the community atmosphere.

INET has severely underestimated the gravity of this matter and should ensure next time they make a decision (such as this one), they remember their business-model depends on their ability to connect individuals with each other and advertisers.

iNET, where do your loyalties lie?

-Troy
      0 Not allowed!

This is a shame - although not a regular, I have frequented the channel from time to time.

Might I suggest #wht on irc.freenode.net/org? It is a very computer / IT oriented network, and a huge one at that - it is where most open source projects call their homes as well as many online communities (and is free of Warez and spam).

It would be something for the admins that be to set it up, however - you normally have to be someone with the authority to use the name of organisation to represent an IRC channel for it on Freenode.
    Ľ
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Ľ Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers
      0 Not allowed!

dollar:

If irc.whtirc.com existed then I don't think many people realised it, most people were connecting through irc.webhostingtalk.com - go figure
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    Might I suggest #wht on irc.freenode.net/org? It is a very computer / IT oriented network, and a huge one at that - it is where most open source projects call their homes as well as many online communities (and is free of Warez and spam).
    Already established and semi-populated on efnet.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    why were the mods of this board ops there? Doesn't make sense does it?
    Ops, just like mods, are volunteers from within the community. It makes perfect sense that those that typically volunteer to moderate on the forum would be trusted and willing to voluntarily deal with IRC as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji - ASM View Post
    On WHTIRC, we knew each other well enough that we could almost say anything to each other.
    I wasn't a frequent visitor, but as I see it, that was a big part of the issue and what kept me from visiting more often. The last few things I saw posted there were so reprehensively offensive it was shocking.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius View Post
    irc.mzima.net... or whatever your favorite efnet server is.

Channel: #wht
    Already up to 18 users on EFnet #wht... and counting!
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    The last few things I saw posted there were so reprehensively offensive it was shocking.
    riiiiight, so "those that typically volunteer to moderate on the forum would be trusted and willing to voluntarily deal with IRC as well"...

Why did *you* not kick, ban or report the offending people or have another moderator do it? Where were the warnings, notices, bans and kicks if language and offense were the real reason for the IRC closure?

iNet would do itself a lot of favours if they would tell us the real reasons (as *facts*) for the closure and admit that the handling of the situation has been pathetic on their part; both prior to any decision being made and also now after the closure.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast