APLUS.NET - Now Calling You

So a few minutes ago I received a phone call from an APLUS.NET representative. Note: I placed myself on the national do not call list. Obviously they do not care.

APLUS: Anyway they called up and said we see you have a domain name you registered.

Me: I have many which one?

APLUS: We see you have a mac.com email so we are wondering if you need hosting for that domain (I could barely hold my giggling).

Me: No I'm not interested in hosting. By the way you do realize I'm on the national Do Not Call list don't you?

APLUS: Oh we can add you to our own if you want.

Me: Yes but I'm on the national do not call list...do you understand what that means to you?

APLUS: We can put you on our list just let us know.

Me: Yes please. *click*

Anybody else get a call from aplus before?
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!

Yeah I have...a while ago.

I'm thinking it was probably 3 years ago when I got a call from them.

Same thing as you:

"We see you have xxxxx.com domain registered, and we would like to extend to you some specials we're currently running..etc etc etc.."

Yeah I did. They called me about 2 years ago. I got worried that someone had stolen my credit card # and ordered some hosting. I have no idea how they got my # as it isn't in any public whois database. They also refused to tell me.

mac.com now THAT is classic! I would have bust out in tears, I don't know how you held back. hehehe Funny.

You do know you can have them fined as well for calling you?

Quote Originally Posted by Senad View Post
    I placed myself on the national do not call list. Obviously they do not care.
    Was this number only for personal use and not associated with a domain or business? I ask because the registry isn't for business numbers. From the site:
    The National Do Not Call Registry is only for personal phone numbers. Business-to-business calls and faxes are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry.
    #14: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt107.shtm
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Personal use of course .
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider

Strange that they bypassed the National DND...lol
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Strange where they got your number from. From what I recall the penalty for violating the do-not-call is quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    Strange where they got your number from. From what I recall the penalty for violating the do-not-call is quite high.
    Probably from my whois info. I believe it something like up to $11,000. I've filed a complaint to the do not call list registry a few minutes ago interesting to see how they will react. There was a reason I signed up for it in the first place . I only wish there was a "Do Not Spam List" as well .

I have a feeling this is the old Whois database mining technique they've been first reported for a couple of years back.

Strange that they bypassed the National DND...
    I wonder how that applies if they're calling from Bulgaria or some place like that.

I'm on the National Do Not Call list too, but I guess because I'm getting old and am easily amused, I find it a source of entertainment when salesmen call me anyway. I always get a big kick out of turning the calls around on them and trying to sell them something instead of them doing it to me.

I have actually had a couple people who said they wanted to buy whatever it was pretending to have for sale, only for me to say "Oh, I'm sorry. I was just wasting your time like you guys always waste mine. Next time you call someone on the National Do Not Call list you might want to think about why they put their name on that list in the first place."

The old owners of inet interactive are actually the owners of aplus now. I wonder if they would be interested in coming in to explain what's going on.

http://www.aplus.net/management.html
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ryan+...et+interactive

you'd think the ex owners of wht would be more careful about how they market their services to the public

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post

you'd think the ex owners of wht would be more careful about how they market their services to the public
    haha, good point. I guess they're not active here anymore?