Hosting your own website

Hi,
    If you host your website from home on your own server is it possible to configure a hub (bt home hub) to a static ip address to the server (dell1900 server).

If you can help great... Cheers!

If your Internet provider allows it, sure. http://www.dslwebserver.com has some tutorials to help get you started. It helps immensely if you can get a static IP address from your ISP too, although it isn't absolutely required.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Just be careful most ISPs do not allow it and can drop you for it, check first.

There is not much point these days to host your own website when you can get all you need for as little as $5 per month or more for quality, probably less than the cost of power a dedicated pc would use. Of course you can host a copy of it locally for development purposes which many do including myself.
    hosting is ongoing

Yeah thats right. It's worth to do it from your home if it is a hobby or if you are learning things, or if it is a serious hosting, it is always better to go for a payed host. That will give you a complete redundancy over power/network too.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie44 View Post
    Hi,
    If you host your website from home on your own server is it possible to configure a hub (bt home hub) to a static ip address to the server (dell1900 server).

In most cases sure. Performance might not be very good though, residential ISPs often place low caps on upload speeds (generally 128k on typical DSL connections, and 512k on typical cable connections). Every time a visitor views your site, you will only have access to your upload bandwidth when serving the page to them.

This is a mute point, if you have a private T line or OC connection.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by jamie44 View Post
    Hi,

Most residential cable/DSL service providers do not allow port 80 or web serving of any kind. You need business class DSL for that.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

All of my websites are hosting on my company's network, but for testing purposes I do have stuff running off of my home connection. Like others have suggested, I would definitely check with your ISP. Some ISP's don't have a problem with it and some do. Some also allow static IPs, but they usually charge extra for that. Running stuff off of your home connection should be fine, but I wouldn't rely on it or use it for heavy traffic.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by ReyoxHosting View Post
    Most residential cable/DSL service providers do not allow port 80 or web serving of any kind. You need business class DSL for that.
    This is a good point. Be sure to read your ISPs TOS carefullly. Although it's relatively easy to setup a server running on port 180 or 181, etc. as long as your not trying to use a licensed panel on it.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

One of the best "host at home" programs would probably be Apache Web Server. You can run it off your computer and if you forward your domain to your IP address then it will work with you as the host. The only bad thing about these types of hosts is that you have to ensure that your computer is always online and it doesn't crash.