Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate

**This is a Release Candidate - if you don't understand what that means, you might not want to download this**

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I downloaded last night with no issues. Don't know if it runs faster or not... looks like it, but I think it has more to do with it almost being like a fresh install. All fresh installs run fast, then as time moves on things slow down.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Interesting, I'm going to assume this is RC1, correct?
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
    Interesting, I'm going to assume this is RC1, correct?
    I'm not sure MS is following the RC1 and RC2... think they are doing RC build xxxx or RC version xxxx AFAIK.

I could be wrong, I don't know... I had a couple of people tell me it was ok... I really needed to format my computer but decided to give this a try to see if it would keep it for a little while... so far so good... no issues as I do my normal daily pattern of work...

Thumbs down

I read that this forces you to wmp11 (Which is garbage)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I read that this forces you to wmp11 (Which is garbage)

I've never had any issues with wmp 11... but thanks for your informative reply.

I tried it on another rig I have set up, Its not all to bad. Of course theres bugs but its a RC what do you expect. New design, and Microsoft developer promises more security and better stability, but I dont worry about that im on XP Professional 64-bit due to my ram size. This is the only time windows hasn't crashed on me due to small errors. I did get the BSOD on 64-bit but little did I know, my cat was in back of my computer playing with the vga cable and I had a jump on my monitor then the BSOD came up.

Brandon

what major updates are there besides wm11? you would think that they were too busy cleaning up after vista to put out more fixes for xp.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

I think I'll wait until RyanVM from MSFN comes out with another update pack (they rock, especially if you're doing an nLite install); once SP3 is stable and tested, then I may consider giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    once SP3 is stable and tested, then I may consider giving it a try.
    Why is it not stable? What issues have you read about or a link just in case I missed something. I'd appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Why is it not stable? What issues have you read about or a link just in case I missed something. I'd appreciate it!
    He probably just saw "Release Candidate" and posted that. It's generally true though, but not saying SP3 RC is not stable.

I've been using SP3 for about a week from my technet sub and cant say anything bad about it, seems stable, not had any problems personally..... *Fingers Crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    It's not stable as it's not a final product - it's effectively in "beta testing round two" where they're fairly sure they have the kinks out, but aren't 100%

More specifically, if you load SP3RC, and something goes horribly wrong, MS isn't fully accountable for lost productivity because it's not final product software
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

there is nothing like service pack 3 there is no official annoucement by microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou1 View Post
    there is nothing like service pack 3 there is no official annoucement by microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lif...vicepacks.mspx
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

Quote Originally Posted by misticil View Post
    It's not stable as it's not a final product - it's effectively in "beta testing round two" where they're fairly sure they have the kinks out, but aren't 100%

More specifically, if you load SP3RC, and something goes horribly wrong, MS isn't fully accountable for lost productivity because it's not final product software
    100% true.

I've never known MS to be accountable for lost productivity in final products.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou1
    Welcome to WHT

I installed it the other day and found it to be quite stable. Not sure why others are stating it forces an upgrade to WMP11 as it did'nt (I use WMP10).

I found a very noticible performance increase and/or "snappier" system in everything I do. I read afterwards that this SP allows WinXP to better take advantage of dual-core/quad-core processors. I have dual Xeon 5130's (dual cores) in my workstation and even though it was quite fast, you can still notice an increase in performance.

I have been running sp3 on my laptop for the last month, so far so good!
    Steven McIntire
    Dark Water Networks | The most reliable and affordable hosting solutions around!
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting | Dedicated Servers | Secure VPN Services
    Coming Soon: Game Servers

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou1 View Post
    Lol a Troll making such useful post who has no idea where his panites are
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by tcstatic
    I installed it the other day and found it to be quite stable. Not sure why others are stating it forces an upgrade to WMP11 as it did'nt (I use WMP10).
    Are you sure???

Did you open WMP and goto HELP and click 'About windows media player' and see it was still 10?

Whats wrong with WMP 11 ?? I just use Zoom Player all the time instead, so dunno what you guys are talking about ?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Whats wrong with WMP 11 ?? I just use Zoom Player all the time instead, so dunno what you guys are talking about ?
    No one really know what most trolls are talking about...

I've already asked what was wrong with wmp 11... but no reply.

Of course, you don't have to use it... which make those one-sentence troll statements absurd.

Did you open WMP and goto HELP and click 'About windows media player' and see it was still 10?
    I'm positive, look at the attached GIF. I downloaded SP3 from here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wmp10.gif  

I've already asked what was wrong with wmp 11... but no reply.
    I prefer WMP 10 over 11 for the simple reason I have a Roku M1001 and found it easier to use Windows Media Connect that works with WMP 10 than the version built into WMP 11. The Roku is supposed to work flawlessly with WMP 11, but after I upgraded wmp 10 to 11 I could not get it working, so I rolled back my system with a drive image.

I've actually been running sp3 since the july 7th alphaish release. has anybody elese been running that version? If so, how's this one match up against it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast