Lightbulb Spam Blocking Software For A Server?

I recently purchased an existing domain name, the problem is I am receiving 500 spam emails a week on this name.

Can anyone suggest any software that can be added to a server to block/ reduce spam on this domain name? As mail is even getting to people I have set up forwarding rules for and it is very embarrassing!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Richard

You should ask your hosting provider to set-up some spam protection (e.g. real-time check against blacklists or something like that)...

I can't think of a tool that can easily purge spam at your end, don't forget that it will consume your traffic anyway (if you want to download it locally and then purge)....

So the best solution is to fight the spam at SMTP/MTA level...

I have looked into this and as you might know it is very hard to block spam.

I do have setting on the control panel which I am using and was hoping someone else might come up will a bright ideas?

As after spending $32 000 on this name this is driving me nuts at the moment!

Do you have a dedicated box? If so, you can install you own spam filter.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

At this stage no as site is in demo form. I have been advised I will need to have a dedicated server for site once project goes live in September.

Problem is the people I am working with know very little about blocking spam. I was hoping there was program that I could buy that would not use too much bandwidth which I could use to filter all mail hitting the domain name?

spam assassin

this works great for me = it comes with all cpanel hosts and most of them let you use it.. I get 99% of my incoming spam filtered using it

JDT

spamassassin

Spamassassin is a very good tool - and it can be setup to run daemonized which really helps on a highbandwidth site as yours sounds as though it will be.

http://relays.osirusoft.com/ Try first to check source IP and then enable it in your /etc/exim.conf
    Alex