Originally from Bolton, England. I have been working in Brussels, Belgium for the last 2.5 years.

Question Windows or Unix hosting

Hi

I am currently developing a web site on my Windows 2000 PC. I am using Apache, MYSQL and PHP.

When I start looking for a host will I have to host it on a Windows Server, or does it not matter?

Are there any advantages of using a Windows rather than a Unix Server?

Cheers
    Andy

A Unix server is all that you need!

No advantages of using a Windows rather than a Unix Server...

Yep, agreed Andy, a host running Linux should do you fine. (With php, apache asp and mySQL)

Originally from Bolton, England. I have been working in Brussels, Belgium for the last 2.5 years.
    So the server would need to run Apache ASP, for my web to work?

I thought I would be able to choose any server which has mysql and PHP support.

Andy

You said that you are using Apache, MYSQL and PHP, so you don't need ASP

you are using Open Source software. They tend to run a hell of a lot better on Linux as they are integrated with each other more. They are built 'along side' each other.

You will not need ASP to run PHP as they are different programming languages. ASP tho will only run on WIndows, unless u use Chillisoft ASP or similar program.

As long as you don't use asp, it doesn't matter what operatingsystem the server uses. But check the host for support and such.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Thanks to everyone for their input it is highly appreciated.

Andy

Theres no reason to need Windows unless your developing *for* Windows - .NET, SQL Server, etc, or desktop-managed applications as opposed to console applications (i know that you *can* in *nix, but its a lot easier in Windows).