hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : adding Users in ASP.NET shared hosting ?

Forum Jump

adding Users in ASP.NET shared hosting ?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

adding Users in ASP.NET shared hosting ?

I'm a novice to Windows hosting. I have an account with DailyRazor which is ASP.NET 2.0 with Microsoft SQL Server 2005. It has Plesk 8.2 control panel.

When I go in and try to add a User to the SubWeb which contains all the ASP.NET files from a project, I get the error message The user 'xxxxxxxx' is not authorized to execute the 'Create Accounts' method.

Is this a webserver configuration error or something I did wrong?

If it is something I did wrong, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Hello,

It seems that you have not rights to create a new user.
Contact you hosting provider.

Regards

Old
Web Hosting Master

This is definately something you should talk to your hosting provider about.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Unfortunately, FP Webadmin does not allow to create accounts. Please create account via Plesk control panel.

This is the response I received from DailyRazor.

Is this correct ????

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yes this is correct. Allowing users to manage FP directly through the webadmin would cause a major security hole.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Yep, Plesk is how you should go about creating users at most hosts.

www.activehost.com sales@activehost.com 1-518-372-2842

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Thank you all for the responses.

Unfortunately, using Plesk to create users does not exactly duplicate what the ASP.NET Website Administraton does with regards to writing the information to a SQL Server database.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

That's different compared to Frontpage. You should just be able to ask them to map a virtual directory for you to get to ASP.NET Website Administration. All you'd need on your end is the correct web.config (if your host already ran the command to populate the users/roles tables that is).

www.activehost.com sales@activehost.com 1-518-372-2842

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-AH View Post
That's different compared to Frontpage. You should just be able to ask them to map a virtual directory for you to get to ASP.NET Website Administration. All you'd need on your end is the correct web.config (if your host already ran the command to populate the users/roles tables that is).
I'm not sure what you mean about mapping a virtual directory etc.
If you can give me a link that describes this in detail, I would very much appreciate it.

What I ended up doing was deploying the SQL Server Express 2005 database on my PC to the webhost's SQL Server 2005 with the Database Publishing Wizard. Not the most ideal thing to do should I want to add users.

Old

I assume you're wanting to create application users using the SqlMembershipProvider.

You should be able to just drop a CreateUserWizard control on a page and create users with that.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

oooooooo
I am going to look into that!

Thanks.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Irish Web Host Blacknight Launches IPv6-Enabled Shared Hosting Platform Web Hosting News 2014-07-17 14:00:54
Single Tweet Brings Dropbox DMCA Takedown Policy into Spotlight Web Hosting News 2014-03-31 04:30:00
Canadian Web Hosting Improves SSD Caching for Shared Hosting Servers Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 13:47:24
CloudLinux Releases New Inode Limits Feature for cPanel Web Hosting News 2013-08-28 16:38:27
Name.com Partners with CloudLinux to Improve Shared Hosting Stability Web Hosting News 2013-08-07 09:58:32