I will like your opinion

I will like some opinios to this DS, thanks
    1 GHz (1000 MHz) Intel Celeron processor
    512 MB of RAM
    40 GB hard drive
    Pre-installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 operating system
    300-domain license of Plesk 2.5.3 server administrator
    650 GB a month transfer guaranteed, no charge for additional transfer
    100 Mbit connection inside FDC Servers data center in Chicago, Illinois, USA. FDC Servers are connected to Internet at 2.4 Gbit via Cogent

Well the server doesnt look bad but see this thread on cogent

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=64395

thanks

Everyday we learn a bit, in few more years we learn a Gig

I love your bandwidth model. Everyone either offers a strict ration of bandwidth, or offers "unlimited' bandwidth. I'm really glad to see someone "fixing" this problem -- it offers the 'freedom' of unlimited, but if people start using absurd amounts of bandwidth, you can cut 'em off. Pure genius.

The hard drive, compared to some other places, seems a bit small. 60 GB, 7200 RPM seems to be popular. Then again, I'm willing to bet there are a *lot* of people (like me) who could never come close to filling up a 40 GB drive, so it's really not a big deal.

FDC has had some problems lately; not sure if they've ironed them out or not. One thing I'd say is this -- I've seen people use *really* sketchy wording about FDC's bandwidth arrangement. I may be wrong, but I believe that FDC has multiple 100 Mbps line, probably about 5 (plus or minus a bunch.) I'm not postive, but I do not believe that FDC has a 2.4 Gbps line. I have a cable modem and get 3 Mbps, which I believe goes into a full T3 line. Your wording is akin to saying that I have 45 Mbps because my data ultimately ends up on a T3. There's a (strong?) possibility that you simply slipped on the wording, but (assuming I'm correct that FDC does not have a full OC-48 line) it could be construed as fraudulent if not fixed.

All this said... This looks like a really sweet package, assuming it's in the $100/month range. (I'm not sure if it's considered advertising to mention the price?)

I just went to check out the site provided in your profile (Powerfullweb.com); it's in Spanish. There's nothing wrong with that (y, tambien, hablo un poco espanol y me gusta la lengua), but I'm curious -- will there be an English version of the site? (Or will the dedicated servers be at a different company?)

Re: I will like your opinion

Originally posted by Mar-y-Sol
    I will like some opinios to this DS, thanks
    1 GHz (1000 MHz) Intel Celeron processor
    512 MB of RAM
    40 GB hard drive
    Pre-installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 operating system
    300-domain license of Plesk 2.5.3 server administrator
    650 GB a month transfer guaranteed, no charge for additional transfer
    100 Mbit connection inside FDC Servers data center in Chicago, Illinois, USA. FDC Servers are connected to Internet at 2.4 Gbit via Cogent
    Sounds like a great bargain! You should go for it

fdc ain't got 2.4Gbps... well... if they do, their network performance doesn't reflect it! but i don't think they've ever made the claim of having an OC48 to themselves neither... heh

fog... i totally agree what you're saying... but say you have a server colocated in a level3 datacenter (say one of theirs in san jose where there are dozens of fiber feeds coming in)... with a 100Mbps feed... does that give you the right to claim you're on an OC48/OC192/etc? i mean... the servers only got a 100Mbps to it... but ... its in the datacenter where theres thousands of megabits... ... if it doesn't give one the right, then pretty much every dedicated server claiming anything above 100Mbps in connectivity is screwed for false advertising, because most servers don't get anything more than a 100Mbps feed... (yes, there are gigabit nics out there, actually saw a decent PCI one for $70, in a regular store, yesterday which makes me wonder what this world is coming to) ... i dunno what i'm getting at ... so don't ask... just trying to point out some potentially partially flawed logic...
    Last edited by netdude; 08-07-2002 at 09:28 PM.

Guys, Guys, Guys....

I just ask for the opinion of this Configuration.....I dont have a data centerr o something similar....I just rent my FIRST dedicated server.
    I know that my english isnt good, but.....
    Hey Guys, u can understand me......
    I will post my opinion after playing with my first DS

Follow-up

Hi Mar-y-sol,

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you were starting a company selling these dedicated servers, not that you were going to buy one. It's not your English that's the problem, it's that I'm an idiot.

netdude, I agree with what you're saying to some extent, my objection was just the fact that saying that FDC has 2.4 Gbit/s is wrong.

If I offer a dedicated server with a 100 Mbps card, and have a OC-48, I think it would be fraudulent to say that your server has 2.4 Gbps, it only has 100 Mbps. But to say that your server has a 100 Mbps connection to a 2.4 Gbps is fine with me. It's just in the wording -- some places try to falsely imply that, because their 56K connection goes to a company with a T1 that was purchased from someone with a couple T3 from Verio who has gigabits of bandwidth... That your server can push gigabits or something. I think that I actually agree with you, I just object to the people who deliberately mess with the wording to imply things that aren't true.

But now that I've realized that Mar-y-sol wasn't looking to sell these servers, it doesn't matter in the least bit.

Sorry for causing confusion, but that's my specialty.

hey....no problem

Its ok, I know you are a human, like me