Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perl Desk

Perl Desk

Hi

I have just installed Perl Desk and found a problem.

I changed the password in Admin Settings and now it won't let me log in - the password is definitely correct but I just get a 'Fatal Error - invalid login' error.

Has anyone else had this, I would hate to leave an admin log in as admin/demo!

Thanks

Kevin

I suggest you to search their support forums for a similar case. Everytime I had a problem with PerlDesk I found a post with a similar case there.

Mac

Hi wmac

Where are the support forums - the link on Perl Desk doesn't work

Thanks

Kevin

Did you change just the password or the user name too?

Hi

I changed both.

I also tried changing direct in mysql, still no login.

I tried reinstalling, but that just adds data to the existing tables, so you get double entries - still no log in.

I had to delete the database and reinstall - that worked ok.

I am now frightened to change the admin username/password in case it doesn't let me log in again! I don't want to have to delete a working database

Yours

kevin

You can change the password but not the username. Major drawback with the program.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

If you changed the user name from admin you 2 choices go into the database and edit it back to admin. Delete the database and start again.

You cannot change the user name it has to be admin, only the password.

I made the same mistake first time I installed it.

Hi

the link http://www.perldesk.com/board just gives an Internal Server Error.

Anyone know where there is support/docs for Perl Desk?

Thanks

Kevin

I think their board is down, it has been down for a week or so now.

Although the Forum is handy (when it's available ), two of us -- from personal experience -- have already provided the answer to your question. What else can we do?

Originally posted by Monte
    If you changed the user name from admin you 2 choices go into the database and edit it back to admin. Delete the database and start again.

You cannot change the user name it has to be admin, only the password.

I made the same mistake first time I installed it.
    I had exactly the same expereince. I just did the install again and I was fine .. just don't change the username again!

Hi

Yes I appeciate the advice, just I imagine there would be other help/guidance required later and better to search through existing support issues than bothering you guys again.

Not good though if the support forum has been down for such a long time

Thanks again

Kevin

Run this
    UPDATE staff SET password = "4WXkJ6GuKe1t.", rkey = "4W" WHERE username = "admin";
    Replace 'admin' with the username you've changed to
    the password is reset to the default which is admin (or password) ?! I think

OR open up phpmyadmin and drop the '4WXkJ6GuKe1t." in as the password for the 'admin' username.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Hope this help.

I've been trying to set it up on a RAQ, but a couple of the features don't seem to be working:
    1. Knowledge base: I can see it, but I can't see where I am meant to add to it
    2. Email: It simply refuses to pick up the email for the aliases I have defined

Any ideas?
    Blacknight
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

The knowledge base gets added to when you answer a ticket you can click add to knowledge base. That is the only way I know to add to it.

Ok. 1 question answered - thanks!
    Blacknight

Originally posted by Monte
    The knowledge base gets added to when you answer a ticket you can click add to knowledge base. That is the only way I know to add to it.
    You can also add to it if you login as the admin, easier to do it that way!

Cheers,
    Jonny b
    http://www.vibus.net
    UK Reseller, Dedicated & Collocation Accounts

Originally posted by jonny b

You can also add to it if you login as the admin, easier to do it that way!

Cheers,
    Errr... pardon my stupidity, but how? I can't see an option for this anywhere
    Blacknight

Sorry, i'm loosing it!

you can add articles as a staff member, click on the KB link then 'add a new article'

Cheers,
    Jonny b

Originally posted by jonny b
    Sorry, i'm loosing it!

you can add articles as a staff member, click on the KB link then 'add a new article'

Cheers,
    There's definitely something wrong with my installation!
    I don't have a link to the knowledge base anywhere in the admin area and even though I've set up email it's not being seen/collected

Am I missing a module???
    Blacknight

Originally posted by blacknight

There's definitely something wrong with my installation!
    I don't have a link to the knowledge base anywhere in the admin area and even though I've set up email it's not being seen/collected

Am I missing a module???
    can you go to yoursite.com/kb.cgi ?

If not...you could be missing something!

Cheers,
    Jonny b

I can see the knowledge base - but I can't see anyway of adding to it...
    Blacknight

Originally posted by blacknight
    I can see the knowledge base - but I can't see anyway of adding to it...
    can you get to the yoursite.com/staff.cgi?do=kb url?

if so there should be a link there....

Cheers,
    Jonny b

Thanks! I found it.
    I feel like a real idiot, but I presumed that the 'admin' area would have access to all of those functions...
    Damn!

Thanks for your help

The other problem I have is the email submission. I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file, changing the paths slightly as I'm on a RAQ, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any email sent to the support or helpdesk@ addresses just gets sent to my main mailbox, which kind of defeats the purpose of the entire thing.
    Blacknight

Hi

I think for knowledge base you need to log in as a 'staff' member - create a member of staff via admin ( I set staff access to global), then re-enter the site at /perldesk/cgi-bin/staff.cgi and log as the staff member

Then pick Knowledge Base - top right of screen

Then [ ADD A NEW ARTICLE | CATEGORIES ] shown in middle of the screen.

No idea about the email 'aliases', but the emails I entered seem to work ok but not checked them all yet

Yours

Kevin

OK. Thanks for the help so far.

Everything seems to be working fine - except for the email logging.
    If I can't get that to work I'll have to dump it, because that was one of the main reasons for setting it up in the first place.
    Blacknight

No. I changed the email address without any problem - it's set in conf.pl and also in the setup area.

My problem is slightly different.

If a user logs in and opens a ticket - fine
    If somebody sends an email to one of the email addresses as set in /etc/mail/aliases (remember I'm on a RAQ) it just gets delivered to the mailbox without logging!
    Blacknight

Hi

I have changed the email.pl and I can see the -

$ticketad = [email protected]'; in conf.pl

But I don't understand how this works. ie lets say I have 2 depts support and admin, each has their own email address [email protected] and [email protected], how do I set up conf.pl so that emails sent out from support show [email protected] and those from admin show from [email protected]?

Thanks

Kevin

The idea is that since the script is used for "Support", all Emails sent should come from that address. The idea is also that any Email sent to Support, gets picked up by the script.

You should be also able to edit the conf.pl file to: $ticketad = [email protected]';

For the most part, the one or two things the script is designed to do, it does well. And you can't beat the price! Just have to look past some the things "we" would like to change.

Hi

Yes I changed the $ticketad variable and it works ok.

I just find it strange that you can set email addresses for different departments but sent emails only show from the one email address. Could be confusing for a user who say uses the system to send a query to accounts but gets a reply from support.

Still as you say you cannot beat the price!

Can I ask if anyone out there uses Php Manager and if so how does it compare to Perl Desk?

I know that Php Manager has additional functionality but it also costs a few $'s

Given the choice between the two which is the better option to go for?

Thanks

Kevin

Originally posted by kjedwards
    Hi

Yes I changed the $ticketad variable and it works ok.

I just find it strange that you can set email addresses for different departments but sent emails only show from the one email address. Could be confusing for a user who say uses the system to send a query to accounts but gets a reply from support.

Still as you say you cannot beat the price!

Can I ask if anyone out there uses Php Manager and if so how does it compare to Perl Desk?

I know that Php Manager has additional functionality but it also costs a few $'s

Given the choice between the two which is the better option to go for?

Thanks

Kevin
    Perldesk and PhpManager are two very different systems.
    Perldesk has some very advanced support features that PhpManager cannot compete with, but you should not confuse the two. PhpManager is primaraliy aimed at billing and accounts, whereas PerlDesk is support.
    Blacknight

Hi

Yes I am finding Perl Desk to be really great.

I am also playing with PhpManager - I like this too but finding a few bugs.

The fact that you cannot access any PhpManager support forum (you are restricted to pre-sales forum until you purchase it) doesn't help. Nor does the fact that to install it on a local PC you need mcrypt() - I found this impossible to install on a win2k PC, makes amending any scripts a potential hassle. Also you only get encrypted scripts with the trial version so you cannot 'trial' making your own amendments - so you are not really sure how easy this wil be.

However despite all this, PhpManager still looks a very good product and integrates with Revecom for payment processing - which is a big plus for me.

I am coming to the conclusion that it would be great to use PhpManager for new accounts/billing and Perl Desk for support.

The one thing I don't want is for any user to have to log in to PhpManager to view their account and then log in again to Perl Desk for support, log in to CPanel to manage their web space (I am on reseller space so I don't think I can integrate PhpManager with CPanel) - too many log in's, even if you set the same username password for all these.

Is there an easy way to integrate the two together?

Thanks

Kevin

You can easily put Cpanel and PhpManager together. In previous versions all of the templates 'presumed' that u were going to.
    Connecting PerlDesk and PhpManager is a slightly different matter, though I know that at least one person was trying to do it
    Blacknight

The only link I can find to Cpanel is an option on Hosting Plans.

It seems to suggest that on purchase of a hosting plan PhpManager will call CPanel to set up the account automatically. That I don't want.

I would however like a way for the user to access the user facilities in CPanel without logging in again. ie one log in gives links to PhpManager, Perl Desk and Cpanel without further log in.

I need to think through the Perl Desk, PhpManager thing. It may be possible to run both side by side. But it should be possible to write a script to create a new Perl Desk user automatically once a new user account has been created via PhpManager

Yours

Kevin

You can easily customise the client templates so that they can access all or most of the Cpanel functions

Getting PhpManager to create a new account in PerlDesk probably wouldn't be that difficult, though you might have to hack the two of them together
    Blacknight

The board of Perl Desk

I know that the Board change, but seem like not working, but for you guys that want some answers to some questions, you can find the answer here...Perl Desk Board

Hope this would help some people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast