Originally Posted by CiscoMike
no, I think your power supply could be faulty OR you aren't getting sufficient airflow to the switch and it's overheating and thus it shuts down.
If you don't know what EEM is (embedded event manager) then it's unlikely you enabled it. It's a tool to scan syslog messages and take actions that you define when certain criteria is met.
Actually the problem is only with the uplink port, that keeps turning to orange, if I unplug the cable and plug it back in the light turns to green and the switch starts working again.
Do you know what might be causing that?