Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Such a thing as to be an anonymous caller to 911 or 999?

No there's not, you phone up to the police clearly stating you are wanting to be kept anonymous the police still find out what number you called from.
    Say a call came in to your local police station and someone anonymously phoned the station up saying there was a boy that had been stabbed as soon as you put the phone down the operator meaning the police officer in the station that's talking to the officers in the street gets on his radio and tells someone to attend then he or she will go and check that number from the place you called from..
    I'm not sure if they do this with phone boxes but they certainly try it and will keep note from the number you called from if like i say you are phoning from some place other than a phone box..
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Oh remembering that you wanted to be anonymous the police officers will then use the phone number to find out the place you live then come round to your place and asked what went on.

What's 999?

Why not call from a pay phone? You'd be anonymous then.

Originally posted by inogenius
    Why not call from a pay phone? You'd be anonymous then.
    What about just not prank calling the emergency service at all?

999 just like 991.

Ahhhh well see ino you brought up another good thing there.
    You phone up you want to be anonymous blah blah blah and the police see what number and they go "oh no it's a phone box" but they find out what phone box you called from and they go "lets have a look at the CCTV".

Anonymousy and privacy doesn't exist and it's the same with schools.

Originally posted by rochen

What about just not prank calling the emergency service at all?
    Rochen you seem to be on a downer tonight. Is there anything wrong?.

There is no such thing as calling emergency services anonymously. As soon as you dial the emergency services number, the billpayers name, telephone number and address appear on the operator's screen.

The details are provided with ANI - a completely separate system to caller ID and is provided regardless as to whether caller ID is blocked.

The same applies with calling from a mobile phone. People think they can take their sim card out and call '112' without the emergency services knowing who they are. The emergency services are provided with the IMEI/Serial number of the calling phone, the general location you are calling from and there is also another process they can use to find out where you are within a few metres.

Public phone - anonymous in a sense. The number and location of the payphone is provided. Not all payphones are equipped with CCTV but some are so they can at least retrieve a picture from that.

If you call emergency services and simply hangup - it is treated as a disconnected call and generally (well, theoretically) is marked high priority/urgent and police are normally dispatched immediately.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

911 story

Here's a little 911 story for you.

One night I needed to call a friend, and I was using a calling card for long distance. So I pick up the calling card and I look at it, well the first three digits of the pin number for the phone card were 911. So by accident I just dialed the 911 instead of the the prefix for the phone number. Then I automatically realized what I did and hung up...... I think it had just started to ring when I hung up the phone. Well about two seconds later I get a phone call back from the 911 dispatcher, she was just making sure there wasn't any problems. I explained to her that the first 3 digits of my phone card were 911, and that I had dialed it by accident. And she verified all my information and everything and said okay have a nice a day. So now I dial the phone card number and get through to my friend, and talking with them. Then all the sudden the operator breaks in on our conversation to verify that everthing is okay and I explained again. And they said okay everythings great and have a nice day again. Then I start talking some more with my friend laughing about what had just happened. Then about 2 or 3 minutes later I here loud pounding on my door, and yelling "SHERRIFS OFFICE"....More loud knocking...... More loud yelling "Sherrifs office".... So I go and answer the door, and the sherrifs are sticking their heads in the door. I explain to them what wen't on... And they ask if they can see the phone card and I say yea and walk in to get it..... and they folow me right in.......Looking in all the closets and stuff in my house on their way in.... Then I show them the phone card and they say yepp sure enough it starts with 911 lol...... So they leave kinda laughing about it. And that's the end of that lol.....

Re: 911 story

Originally posted by deadserious

One night I needed to call a friend, and I was using a calling card for long distance. So I pick up the calling card and I look at it, well the first three digits of the pin number for the phone card were 911. So by accident I just dialed the 911 instead of the the prefix for the phone number. Then I automatically realized what I did and hung up...... I think it had just started to ring when I hung up the phone. Well about two seconds later I get a phone call back from the 911 dispatcher, she was just making sure there wasn't any problems. I explained to her that the first 3 digits of my phone card were 911, and that I had dialed it by accident. And she verified all my information and everything and said okay have a nice a day. So now I dial the phone card number and get through to my friend, and talking with them. Then all the sudden the operator breaks in on our conversation to verify that everthing is okay and I explained again. And they said okay everythings great and have a nice day again. Then I start talking some more with my friend laughing about what had just happened. Then about 2 or 3 minutes later I here loud pounding on my door, and yelling "SHERRIFS OFFICE"....More loud knocking...... More loud yelling "Sherrifs office".... So I go and answer the door, and the sherrifs are sticking their heads in the door. I explain to them what wen't on... And they ask if they can see the phone card and I say yea and walk in to get it..... and they folow me right in.......Looking in all the closets and stuff in my house on their way in.... Then I show them the phone card and they say yepp sure enough it starts with 911 lol...... So they leave kinda laughing about it. And that's the end of that lol.....
    Your kidding. It's well heard of for people to have there mobiles in there bags and for it to dial 999 accidently, i suppose that's something 911 wouldn't have to deal with.
    I think the police have to mind there own business like and to stop being so suspicious.
    You should complain about this.
    There's people in America that complain about smoking in the theme parks and there's you getting a bloody prank call from the police, shocking.

No I'm not kidding that really happened.

It was in the middle night, so maybe they didn't have anything better to do.

Yep the police look for any reason to go and get you.
    Lets take this as an example: you have a fight with someone and the police will come around and look for drugs which is not right.
    At night time the poloce don't have anything better to do than make jokes to other officers about how there's some jam cakes waiting on them for when they get back to HQ , it's true and on night shift in Scotland the police sometimes use very strange names like "artful dodger" .

Re: Re: 911 story

Originally posted by ned patter

Your kidding. It's well heard of for people to have there mobiles in there bags and for it to dial 999 accidently, i suppose that's something 911 wouldn't have to deal with.
    I think the police have to mind there own business like and to stop being so suspicious.
    You should complain about this.
    There's people in America that complain about smoking in the theme parks and there's you getting a bloody prank call from the police, shocking.
    I'm sure you'd feel differently if someone broke into your house and managed to snatch the phone away from you just as the call had gone through to 911, 999 or 000 (in Australia). If the police showed up wondering what was happening, thinking suspiciously, they'd hopefully get to you before the burglar decided what to do. But, if they took your above comments seriously and didn't turn up, someone could find you dead in the backyard.
    So maybe it's a good thing. Anyway, I've got nothing to hide. If they want to come around here 'cause they think something's happened, then they can.

Josh

To a degree, we give up our freedoms so that we can be safer, but I don't mind the 911 caller ID. What if thats all you can do (dial 911) before passing out?
    There are much worse privacy intrusions to worry about than the 911 calls.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

My thoughts exactly.

Josh

I think that's really jacked up that you were talking on the phone, and the 911 OPERATOR just pops in out of no where

if they can do that
    that's really messed up

talk about breach of privacy

Originally posted by clocker1996
    if they can do that
    that's really messed up

By calling 911, whether on accident or purpose, you open yourself up to that. It's not breach of privacy once you the call connects and starts ringing. Just like with search and seizure, there's probable cause that there's an emergency, so if you were tokin' it up and the police walked in, it's your own fault.
    - joey

Re: 911 story

One night I needed to call a friend, and I was using a calling card for long distance. So I pick up the calling card and I look at it, well the first three digits of the pin number for the phone card were 911. So by accident I just dialed the 911 instead of the the prefix for the phone number. Then I automatically realized what I did and hung up...... <snip>
    A similar thing happened to me, only with '000' (emergency number in Australia).

All phones are on a PBX telephone system. Most of the phones you need to dial '0' to get an outside line but some have been programmed to access a specific telephone line.

One day I went to make an international call (0011....) so I pick up a phone. Forgetting it's one of the ones that automatically access a line I dial "00011..".

As the first 3 digits are 000, when I'd finished dialing - instead of hearing international ring tone I hear a voice saying "Triple-0 emergency?". I realised what had happened and explained it to the operator and she hungup.

A few minutes later she rang back again to make sure everything was alright. I said that it was and it was left at that.

I'm quite thankful that the information is automatically provided to them. People complain that it's an invasion of privacy - but what if you called and were unable to speak - they would still be able to dispatch emergency services and possibly save a life.

People pranking '999, 112, 000, 911, etc' do nothing but to waste the time of the operators and the emergency personnel involved. If you prank and they have to send emergency services to your house - that is one less genuine call they would be able to respond to.

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by clocker1996

I think that's really jacked up that you were talking on the phone, and the 911 OPERATOR just pops in out of no where

if they can do that
    that's really messed up

Errr... even regular folks can do that. All you gotta do is call the operator and tell them it's an emergency and you must be connected to the other party. They will interrupt their conversation and cut in.

I should know... I had that happen once.

You know, my experience with 911 ain't so great. My friend got into a car accident once. I called 911 on the cell phone and had to hold for 20 minutes! Really made me lose faith in the emergency system.

Just hope that if/when an emergency occurs it'll be in the middle of the night and not during the weekday.

i dont know about around there, but 999-your-number used to result in your own phone rininging (i know they've disabled this in my area now, but its lotsa fun!).

999-555-5855, hang up, hear dialtone, hang up again.

wait 5 seconds,

bam, local phone rings, and you've got potential for fun prank calls in your own house used to use it on my sister years ago, tons of fun.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Originally posted by porcupine
    i dont know about around there, but 999-your-number used to result in your own phone rininging (i know they've disabled this in my area now, but its lotsa fun!).

999-555-5855, hang up, hear dialtone, hang up again.

wait 5 seconds,

bam, local phone rings, and you've got potential for fun prank calls in your own house used to use it on my sister years ago, tons of fun.

582-xxxx

xxxx would be your last 4 digits of your number would do the same thing in my area....

They have of course password protected it now, but normally its just 1234

583 are differnt utilities, like Caller ID check, differnt tone ring backs, number pushes, etc, and the passwords are generally more complex..

I know people who still use'em

Man, the government is holding back on us. They have so many things that have been unstated and numerous devices that will never be viewed by the public eye.

Originally posted by porcupine
    Here in Australia we can just dial 12722199 on Telstra and 12723199 on Optus, wait for ring, hangup and your phone will ring a few seconds later

There are also other nifty numbers such as 018018222 which will read out your phone number (eg: "Customer number is zero-two-four-six-two-five....")

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by The Prohacker

582-xxxx

xxxx would be your last 4 digits of your number would do the same thing in my area....

They have of course password protected it now, but normally its just 1234

583 are differnt utilities, like Caller ID check, differnt tone ring backs, number pushes, etc, and the passwords are generally more complex..

I know people who still use'em
    Man, those were the days.

I remember when i took a phone cord (we used to share the same line when i was younger obviously) and just meshed all of the wires into one (cut the phone cord, and just twisted all 4 wires up and soldered/taped them into one wire), whenever my sister wouldn't get off the phone, i'd just plug that in, and bam, every phone in the house dead, great laughs, and extremely effective...

Ahh those were the days, when we had so little to do we could think up all kinds of fun stuff to do .... Man this is sad, i shouldn't be reminising for another 30-40 years!
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast