server side spam filter for clients

Hi,

I am on a red hat 7.1 using sendmail, what type of server side spam filters are out there, so my users can block email from coming to their mailbox?

Thanks for your help

I've used SpamAssassin before and absolutely loved it. Haven't gotten around to putting it on my new server, but will be soon.

http://spamassassin.taint.org/

There's a lot of tools, programs/scripts out there to be had/used. Look around and you will find what best suits you. You can also use something like procmail in addition or alone with or without some scripts and add some recipes or rules to best suit your needs.
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com

Personally I think SpamAssassin is one of the best approaches. The problem with procmail and other recipe-based approaches is the need for constant maintenance.

SA set for defaults may be a bit too restrictive - I tuned my setup somewhat to allow "potential" spam through while rejecting "obvious" spam. Its not hard to conjure up some rules that will work for 99% of cases.

However most approaches are a compromise. Some marketing email that may be desirable for some users will be rejected.

SA can be set up to have user-defaults or user opt-in - depending on your mail environment it may be out-of-the-box or require a little assembly.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

This is true, but I was thinking in regards to some type of rules in a file that would be modified, added or removed. I should have been clear about that. I don't expect many people will be able to create intelligent recipes and it takes time to add the code (albeit not much, but still) and it would be more intuitive to offer some field they could fill in to block in whatever manner they wished.

However, even after that, I suppose there's probably some reasonable alternatives to that logic in existence now. I just am a glutton for coding things (and this wouldn't be a great feat, plus I could customize it to cover all the aspects or modify it as needed as clients wished -- but I suppose other existing options would allow for that same thing too). :-)
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com

You should have a look at the SpamAssassin application or the docs at least. It works based on setting up multiple rules and weights for each rule.

You can adjust if you desire.

For example, if it finds the pattern:

Click below to unsubscribe from our Opt-in list...

It will assign a certain spam weight to that.

The total of all the weighted rules is what gives it power - unlike a series of regexes which in most cases operate independantly of one another.

I lived for a long time with straightforward regex rules but it became a constant battle to keep on top of varying approaches. SA does most of that battling for you, automatically, but you can certainly tweak it further.

Its not perfect, but its much closer than anything else I have tried.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

check out spamhaus.org approach.. limiting email that is coming open relays will help you a lot!