Ventures Online MYSQL connections Max=45?

Hello,

I would like to know more about the MYSQL cap, does this mean only 45 users can be connected to the database at any time? It's looking like Ventures Online is definitely where I want to host my site, but the MYSQL cap could seriously effect traffic on forums and things like that.

Anyone know how big of an impact this may have on a high-traffic forum?

-Shawn

Re: Ventures Online MYSQL connections Max=45?

Originally posted by Gummyworms
    Hello,

I would like to know more about the MYSQL cap, does this mean only 45 users can be connected to the database at any time? It's looking like Ventures Online is definitely where I want to host my site, but the MYSQL cap could seriously effect traffic on forums and things like that.

Anyone know how big of an impact this may have on a high-traffic forum?

-Shawn
    this just means that mySQL can only have 45 open connections. If you are using vBulletin, you shouldn't have any problems with having a moderately busy forum (ie, 50-75 users online). vBulletin closes connections after the page is loaded so you could have other users browsing while one is reading

The problem is...I run pconnect() on my php scripts, does that leave the connection open until that person leaves the website altogether? With that kind of cap, it means that only 45 people can be on the site at any given time.

What happens when this cap is exceeded?

Shawn

Originally posted by Gummyworms
    The problem is...I run pconnect() on my php scripts, does that leave the connection open until that person leaves the website altogether? With that kind of cap, it means that only 45 people can be on the site at any given time.

What happens when this cap is exceeded?

Shawn
    i don't know about pconnect() leaving connections open, but when the cap is exceeded at VO you will receive a mySQL connections maxed error

Every host has to limit concurrent connections to mySQL on shared servers, 45 connections is generous.

On the VO V650 Plan they allow 100 concurrent connections

go dedicated - you will have full control over how many concurrent connections can access mysql at the same time

lol, too bad my budget is <$15 a month, I just want to know what kind of traffic 45 concurrent connections can handle. I know it really depends on what kind of site im running and how its scripted. My site is a customizable start page, with a calender organizer, news, weather. Would 45 concurrent connections handle between 1k-10k visitors a day?

Shawn

just make sure that you close your sql connections after the page is done loading..that's how you can max your "visitor count"