hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion : SSL with Shared IP

Forum Jump

SSL with Shared IP

Reply Post New Thread In Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 AM

SSL with Shared IP

Hi i've been planning on doing some e-commerce stuff, so I figured now would be a good time to ask some questions about security.

I have a reseller account with a web host that has given me 1 dedicated IP.

I have used this IP for the 10 sites I am currently hosting.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to install an SSL certificate on my main domain without a problem - considering that I will never need to use SSL on any of the other sites I have.

Basically what I am asking is: If only 1 site on that IP will be using SSL, does it matter whether or not the IP is shared or not?

Ok question #2: I noticed Go Daddy's "Standard SSL" certificate is a very low price ($19.99/yr), I was wondering whether this would be adequate to handle credit card processing directly on the site (using direct integration of a credit card processor directly on the page). Will this "Standard SSL" be enough to allow this - or do I need to get one of their more expensive certs?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

From what I read, Godaddy cheap SSL certs is for domain security or something like that, you might want to read more on their site. Right now Im suing comodo free 90 days trial. So far, it works just well..as the SSL only for use with 1 domain.
There is plenty of affordable SSL certs each tailored to be suitable with your business size.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Web Hosting Master

As far I know, the ip used for ssl must not be shared.

Check our uptime

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

You need dedicated IP without fail. As rule dedicated IP is up to few bucks. Ask your current provider for addon IP.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

From a technical standpoint, once the SSL certificate has been installed on that IP, accessing the site using only the IP address will bring up the site the SSL certificate is signed for.

If you don't mind that happening, I'm sure there's a way to make it happen somehow.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Disabled

You should get a highly recognizable SSL if you want to increase consumer confidence. GoDaddy SSL will work but it won't increase conversions.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanworld View Post
As far I know, the ip used for ssl must not be shared.
Yes. That's correct. He would need to purchase an IP but his account can still remain on a shared server.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 PM

GoDaddy SSL runs as fine as other expensive certs. To the end user point of view there is no major difference.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Disabled

It's better if the end user can recognise the SSL company (ie Verisgin)

You can get a RapidSSL for $12 from servertastic.com

Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You can get away with using ssl on a shared IP aslong as its only one site your using SSL on, However cpanel has no option for this and disallows it so if your using cpanel/whm your not allowed

Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 AM

You require a seperate IP for sure !! You should get in touch with your current provider.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Hosts View Post
You should get a highly recognizable SSL if you want to increase consumer confidence. GoDaddy SSL will work but it won't increase conversions.
Do customers look for the certificate issuer identity as long as it is valid?
I personally don't believe that it will increase conversions as long as the certificate type is the same.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM

For each SSL, you need a dedicated IP. If you want to use 1 SSL cert on many sites using the same IP, you need a wildcard SSL cert (shared SSL cert).

Almost all certs have the same encryption strength (128bit/256bit). You can even generate an SSL cert for free for your site.

However, the price you are paying is not for the securing of data, but you are paying for the authentication side of things. The higher priced the SSL certificate, the more authentication is involved. Authentication is crucial to consumer confidence.

That said, in all honesty, if your customers are not tech savvy, then any basic root SSL cert will work fine and do the same job. Be it the godaddy cert or another cheap cert from another company.

Reliable Sales/Billing/Tech End-user Support - We can provide support to your customers!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Irish Web Host Blacknight Launches IPv6-Enabled Shared Hosting Platform Web Hosting News 2014-07-17 14:00:54
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 25, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:18
Canadian Web Hosting Improves SSD Caching for Shared Hosting Servers Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 13:47:24
Name.com Partners with CloudLinux to Improve Shared Hosting Stability Web Hosting News 2013-08-07 09:58:32
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – August 24, 2012 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:43