Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plesk, why do people use it?

I've had to deal with a lot of plesk systems who have extremely perplexed problems, and I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would buy it. It seems to be the most impossible to manage control panel to ever exist, and I'm pretty sure people only buy it because the name sounds cool.

Why do people use plesk?

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    I've had to deal with a lot of plesk systems who have extremely perplexed problems, and I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would buy it. It seems to be the most impossible to manage control panel to ever exist, and I'm pretty sure people only buy it because the name sounds cool.

Why do people use plesk?
    Because it's a nice control panel on both the user and admin level.

You're definitely correct -- it's very hard to manage sometimes, but when it's functioning properly, it's great. We've had our share of problems with it, that's for sure. That's part of the reason we don't use it anymore.

Upgrading versions is always a horrifying moment with Plesk.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus View Post
    Because it's a nice control panel on both the user and admin level.

You're definitely correct -- it's very hard to manage sometimes, but when it's functioning properly, it's great. We've had our share of problems with it, that's for sure. That's part of the reason we don't use it anymore.

Upgrading versions is always a horrifying moment with Plesk.
    Maybe the GUI looks pretty, but the backend is a horrible mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    Maybe the GUI looks pretty, but the backend is a horrible mess.
    Most definitely. I will never use Plesk.
    AS395558

I like Directadmin and Cpanel much better than Plesk, though I still use Plesk as it isn't easy to switch from one controlpanel to another without affecting the users. But to say something fair for Plesk. It isn't that bad, just that the learning curves may be more steep. Having problems with Plesk does not mean it is not a good panel. It may simply mean you do not yet have the necessary skills to handle that controlpanel. Maybe ask Plesk for their support and get your controlpanel running. Once Plesk is running it is very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    I like Directadmin and Cpanel much better than Plesk, though I still use Plesk as it isn't easy to switch from one controlpanel to another without affecting the users. But to say something fair for Plesk. It isn't that bad, just that the learning curves may be more steep. Having problems with Plesk does not mean it is not a good panel. It may simply mean you do not yet have the necessary skills to handle that controlpanel. Maybe ask Plesk for their support and get your controlpanel running. Once Plesk is running it is very stable.
    Wait, SWSoft has an actual support team now? News to me.
    AS395558

Plesk sucks... and HELM 3 is the winner for us
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Few weeks ago, I had to move 5 websites from a plesk server to our own control panel (CretaPanel). I had no previous experience with plesk so I tried the backup function. I end up with a binary instead of a tar containing the databases and the files. Finally I manually backup/restore the databases and wget the files.

Any idea in what format is that file? It looks like they want to make customer's life difficult if they want to move to another control panel.

I think its a case of what people use first.

I used cPanel first , I love cPanel.

I actually like Plesk, and promote it as a great alternative to cPanel.

If you know what your doing (on the backside of things) Plesk can be a very powerful and simple control panel that just 'works'.

Keep in mind that Plesk only uses whatever components/programs are installed on the server, it doesn't go and install its own HTTP or PHP or anything like that. If you setup a box with broken components and then install Plesk, your going to have problems.

In my experience as a VPS provider I've found Plesk to be a more stable environment than cPanel or DA, and heartily recommend it to all newcomers to hosting.

I've noticed that those who pick cPanel usually do so because they are resellers or web hosts that only know cPanel because that's what they started with. Those that pick Plesk usually just want to host their own sites and don't want to deal with the bloated features of cPanel.

Plesk is useless on Windows as it isn't made for this system. Not sure about it's Linux counterpart. Try Dot Net Panel as this is by far the best CP for Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Hosts View Post
    Plesk is useless on Windows as it isn't made for this system. Not sure about it's Linux counterpart. Try Dot Net Panel as this is by far the best CP for Windows.
    Agreed. We deploy Plesk for Linux only, as the Windows version is just a bad port of the original Linux code. It's supposed to be all new and what not very soon, but they've been saying that for awhile and I've never been impressed with the performance of Plesk on Windows or it's stability on a VPS platform.

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons View Post
    I actually like Plesk, and promote it as a great alternative to cPanel.

If you know what your doing (on the backside of things) Plesk can be a very powerful and simple control panel that just 'works'.

Keep in mind that Plesk only uses whatever components/programs are installed on the server, it doesn't go and install its own HTTP or PHP or anything like that. If you setup a box with broken components and then install Plesk, your going to have problems.

In my experience as a VPS provider I've found Plesk to be a more stable environment than cPanel or DA, and heartily recommend it to all newcomers to hosting.

I've noticed that those who pick cPanel usually do so because they are resellers or web hosts that only know cPanel because that's what they started with. Those that pick Plesk usually just want to host their own sites and don't want to deal with the bloated features of cPanel.
    cPanel isn't that bloated, on a normal shared hosting account, I usually use most of the features, Plus you will find some of the "Features" you are talking about are just easy links to sub-features. I found plesk extremely confusing to navigate as opposed to DA and cPanel which is what it really boils down to. When I was new to hosting, I first used an in-house system, which worked, but was annoying, after that, I used cPanel and I like how it layed all the options out for you in one menu, and it took you where you wanted to go, when I used a DA system, I loved how it was lightweight and used little memory, but was similar to cPanel in the layout. When I tried plesk, I got lost many times, took me 10 minutes to setup a MySQL database when it took me maybe 1 minute using cPanel and DA. Plesk was just as bad of a resource hog a cPanel, and really didn't offer the same functionality as cPanel and was extremely difficult to navigate for simple tasks. The only thing that I found better about DA was that the domain management was better, once you could find where to add domains. I wouldn't even recommend plesk to my enemies.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

I hate plesk, but swsofts products and functionality are really gaining ground.. i love cpanel, but it needs more features instead of revamping the same old ones.. cpanel needs its own vps solution and then it would be perfect
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Swsoft had made several strategic acquisitions, they are here to stay and grow.

I like some of the features in Plesk, and as described both client/admin end's are put togethor well. It does take some knowledge on the backend to troubleshoot stuff when it does go wrong, otherwise be prepared to pay.

I've used both cPanel and Plesk in production environments and must say that I like Plesk better. cPanel to me seems like a out of the box solution for someone who wants to do webhosting as something on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    cPanel isn't that bloated <snip>
    Step 1. Install fresh OS
    Step 2. Update said OS
    Step 3. Install cPanel or Plesk
    Step 4. Get the output from ps -aux, top and netstat -lep

then tell me cPanel isn't bloated. Plesk isn't much better (I haven't touched it since the 7.x days) but at least Plesk is independant from every other software module on the server.

cPanel is the Microsoft Windows codebase of the Unix world: bloated, spaghetti and a complete disaster.

/rant over
    Plesk has a fairly nice interface to it despite being a kludge on the backend. You have a clean distinction between the various privledge levels and have fairly descent reporting and monitoring options. That being said, Plesk is about as big of a disaster that cPanel is when it comes to true security and the appropriate balance of features vs performance. They both utterly fail in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons View Post
    When there is a newer version of apache or php do you upgrade it using the distro package or plesk upgrades it?

One of the reasons we wrote our own control panel is the control panel to work with the freebsd software installed from ports and not downloading pre-compiled version from the control panel developments.

Also any idea in what format is the file that you get when you use the backup function?

I had extremely good support from my vendor of Swsoft products WebNic.CC. Have not actually tried their support team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Wait, SWSoft has an actual support team now? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    Few weeks ago, I had to move 5 websites from a plesk server to our own control panel (CretaPanel). I had no previous experience with plesk so I tried the backup function. I end up with a binary instead of a tar containing the databases and the files. Finally I manually backup/restore the databases and wget the files.

Any idea in what format is that file? It looks like they want to make customer's life difficult if they want to move to another control panel.
    Yes, why in the hell wouldn't they export to a tar? You can even create tar/gzip'd files in windows if you have those gnuwin32 packages.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    It's Plesk's proprietary backup format, unfortunately. And yes, those backups are a major PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    Swsoft had made several strategic acquisitions, they are here to stay and grow.
    SwSoft are actually an excellent company with great products such as Virtuozzo and Acronis. Plesk on Windows is just one bad apple in an otherwise intelligent fast moving company.

I just dont want them to control too much of the market for hosting control.. this would be bad imho. Especially as it seems their support is not as great as it could be (this is only based on what ive heard)..

Ensim? Why is that still around is what im wondering.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Almost all data center offer Plesk because of this reason people use it, believe me if Dc give variety of control panels then you know better the answer

I have good support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast