Thread: namebargain?

namebargain?

Pros and cons?

How come they sell at $8.88, is there any hidden charges?

Anyone have any experience with them?

They're part of register.com, nothing's hidden. My company has around 35 domains with them and we've had no problems. I like that they give you one login account that lets you manage all your domains (including a Global DNS change feature).

My only gripe is that they don't have a bulk renewal process. If you bought 10 domains at once, you get 10 e-mails when they're about to expire and have to pay for each one individually. Unless I'm just looking in the wrong place, I couldn't find a way to renew all ten at once.

You just have to buy 5 the first time, then you can buy individual domains at the low price. Just realize that they say "price subject to change" in the agreement. That only means that in 6 months, new domains and renewals may cost a bit more. When we started using them they were $8.88 per, then 7 months later they were $11.95 per, then they went back down to $8.88 early this year.

They're also pretty good at transferring domains from other registrars.

Customer service

At $8.88, NameBargain is never the lowest price even among "big guys". GoDaddy.com, e.g., is one of the top 10 ICANN-accredited registrars and they are only retailing at $8.95 for down to one single domain.

Unlike cf_menace's happy experience, NameBargain's customer service is not particularly impressive to me. They have failed to transfer more than half a dozen names from Verisign with expiry dates some as far as 3 weeks away. My conclusion is that they are now as GOOD as Verisign (Network Solutions), if you know what I mean.

Regarding hidden charges: there is a $35 so-called "upgrade" charge when you trasnfer ownership. For comparison, GoDaddy.com has just eliminated that about a month ago; and their $8.95 price now comes with free domain forwarding!

Do I sound like a reseller of GoDaddy.com? (I'm not.)
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Stay away from them !

Last year, I did got a couple of domain names thru them at $8.88/year.
    When I called them, they told me that you are NOT allowed to modify DNS and their service is mainly used for resellers (Example : buying it and then reselling at a higher price to someone else).
    Other features are NOT included (like forwarding etc.) but requiring upgrade to $35/year with their Register.com fee.

You are allowed to transfer it else where after 60 days and paying $8.88.

Modifying DNS with NameBargain

Hi napme,

To be fair, NameBargain DOES allow DNS modifications; but your experience best illustrates how GOOD their customer service is :-(
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.