How should I partition RedHat 7.2?

I got my new Dell server today. Yippee, I love new toys.

Anyway, I'm pre-configuring it before sending it off to its' new colo. It'll be runnining Ensim 3.1.

I'm curious what your suggestions are for how to partition it. Here's how I configured it during setup:
    120GB Drive
    /boot ~50MB
    /usr ~3GB
    /home ~110GB
    /swap 1GB
    /var ~1GB
    / 300MB

Does this seem reasonable? I had thought about formatting it as all one partition, but I was a afraid of something running away in the logs, or a user hogging all my space. What do you think?

Thanks,

Brian

What will be the purpose of the server? Without that it's not possible to answer your question.
    However, I would increase the size of /var and /usr

If you want to install any control panel see to it that you have ample space...for /var and /usr partitions.

for eg: in cpanel /var is logs and mail queue is stored.
    /usr is where cpanel goes...

better put in a little more space to these two partitions.

Agreed, you DEFINATELY want to increase /var and /usr

I generally have the following:

/ - around a gb
    /swap - double mem
    /home - 50% of drive
    /var - atleast 20% of drive
    /usr - atleast 10% of drive
    /boot - 40-50mb
    Complx Internet Services
    www.complx.net
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    [email protected]

Backup partition recommended

I generally recommend server owners to create another backup partition, roughly with a little larger the size of /home. Local backups *are* important, people. :-)

As other posters have suggested, a 1GB /var is almost always inadequate these days. I'd recommend at least around 5-10 GB to store various logs and mail queue. If you store all virtual hosts' logs here and host some popular sites, or if you store databases in /var too, enlarge this partition even more.

Since Unix has symbolic links, things actually are not that bad when you run out of space in one of the partitions.

Yea, I ran into space problems after rememberign how much goes into /, as well as /usr and /var. For the sake of simplicity, I decided to do a generic /boot - 50MB, /swap -1GB and the rest allocated to /. I doubt I'll be having major space problems anytime soon unless I get a runaway log, in which case, I can still login and delete.

I do have a second identical drive in the server that will be getting backed up to daily.

Thanks,

Brian

Originally posted by Brian S
    /boot - 50MB, /swap -1GB and the rest allocated to /.
    Probably not a good idea.

I agree, don't put everything onto the root partition. There's too many reasons to list and it's not good practice at all. Here's an example of one of my 60 gig drives:

Code:
    df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda1             1.9G  213M  1.6G  12% /
    /dev/hda2              99M  7.1M   86M   8% /boot
    /dev/hda7              36G  1.1G   33G   4% /home
    none                  503M     0  502M   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda6             980M   17M  914M   2% /tmp
    /dev/hda3             7.7G  895M  6.4G  12% /usr
    /dev/hda5             5.8G   67M  5.4G   2% /var
    /dev/hda9             594M   32M  532M   6% /chroot1
    /dev/hda10            579M   17M  533M   3% /chroot2
    You have twice as much space, I'd suggest something similar (not to double it all, per se), although 2 gig's on my / root partition is generous and you needn't double that. My /boot partition is a little generous, but not a big deal, 50 to 100 megs is fine. I don't think I'd suggest you double /var and /usr, but somewhere at least that size and maybe a little larger and the rest going to home would be good. Obviously a gig for /tmp is a lot too.

I just partitioned it out to whatever felt right to me as I went along. I have a gig or RAM so I added a 512 or 1 gig swap, although either is fine. Maybe looking at this will give you a better representation, although I'd suggest you don't use Ensim, but I won't get into that. :-) Anyway, I usually leave about 1 gig of free space for future use if things start filling up too fast or if I want another partition. I'd also support the previous suggestion of somewhere to put backups, but I'd suggest another, separate drive for that.
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com

As other posters have suggested, a 1GB /var is almost always inadequate these days. I'd recommend at least around 5-10 GB to store various logs and mail queue. If you store all virtual hosts' logs here and host some popular sites, or if you store databases in /var too, enlarge this partition even more.
    I'd keep /var to about 1-2GB and install a symbolic link to my /backup partition for logs etc - which is usually on another drive - Yes good practice to have a seperate /backup