Switching Control Panel

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have posted here. Anyway, I currently have a vps w/ cpanel installed. I am plan on moving to a dedicated server but unsure if I should stay with cpanel. My other control panel options are DirectAdmin Servercp. Which is better comparable to cpanel?
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research."

Well, if I were you just keep with cpanel as the account migrations will be easier.

Moving from cPanel to DirectAdmin is not a difficult task. We have done many times for us, and for other companies. Also, DA is much more stable than cPanel. People saying cPanel 11 is a good version, but I havent tried it. Cause since moving to DA, it's much better for us. John from DA is very helpful, that I could not found in cPanel staff

Go with DA, and you will be happy

ya using that cpanel conversion tool by lordphil on the forums at da works pretty good,
    But id say preference varies, I know directadmin is good for budget or private servers but I never did like having shared servers with it for many reasons -- mainly security.

Sure you can harden it up a lil but work is definitely required to do so. What is so insecure you may ask?

Webmails and phpmyadmin in public accessible areas, dont have to be logged in control pane. You can login phpmyadmin with only the db info like user_db/user_user and password. So ts a LOT easier for a hacker to do something with your config info then it is on cpanel. All somoene has to do is cat your config or view it somehow and they can log right in. Try for yourself.

general file permissions within home. Im not sure if they fixed that default or not, I had seen some versions doc about it.
    But a lot of things on directadmin can be annoying that are much easier in cpanel. Cpanel has had its fair share of bugginess but overall its a rock solid fully featured control panel.

This being said directadmin is ok for private servers but requires some work. Id recommend moving all the stuff in /var/www/html (webmails, phpmyadmin) under a user account - using .htaccess to limit only to allowed ips. And then locking your firewall down where only allowed ips can access directadmin, ftp, etc.