hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Can i contact my resellers customer Directly?

Forum Jump

Can i contact my resellers customer Directly?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2001, 04:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

Question

Hello,

From the subject of this thead anyone would say that you should not, me included. But i am asking this with reference to a particular case.

There was a person who was as our reseller and had purchased a few hosting accounts from me and sold them to the end client and designed their sites. He had prepaid for 1 year hosting,

What has happened is that midway through the year this reseller has stopped business or god knows what is not reachable by mail/ telephone .

Now his clients sites (domains and hosting )are coming for expiry .
so should i contact them for their renewal and tell them directly that your sites are on our servers and we are contacting you bcos the reseller is nowhere to be found.

The end clients as of now dont know about the existence of our company and i am not sure if the reseller had told them where he was procuring space from?

Or should i just send them a mail and wait for reply and can maybe shut down those accounts who do not respond.

What would you do in such cases

Rgds
Manish Kapadia
Bombay-India

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2001, 04:56 AM
Retired Moderator

Send them an email. There is no reason not to -- avoiding stepping on a reseller's feet is one thing, but avoiding stepping on a nonexistant reseller's feet is just silly -- and there are several good reasons why you should contact them (starting with letting them know what is going on).

Old 03-03-2001, 12:02 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I agree. There are certain cases where I feel that this is needed and this is one of those cases. Remember even though the customers were brought in by the Reseller, they still are YOUR clients too.. I would make every attempt to contact the Reseller and if that fails then send an email to the clients explaining the situation and your concern for their sites being possibly shutdown. I am sure they will appreciate your concern and make their own decision as to what they would like to do..

X-treme

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2001, 12:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

I wouldnt

I wouldnt do a thing until the accounts actually expire.. then send a notice to the reseller that if he does not contact you within 30 days you will notify the clients direclty, leave the accounts up for 30 days and if he does not contact you your in the clear to send a notice..

Old 03-03-2001, 12:28 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I am sure there is more than one way to proceed but I particularly like cbaker17's comments.

You might also consider adding a statement to your terms that all assets of an abandoned account revert to you. And, come up with a way to notify the clients of the transfer, with their concurrence of course.

An interesting situation.
Gary

Old 03-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thank you all for your opinions,

Problem is that he is just not traceble on phone / mail .
I feel i will wait till their period expires and not shut their hosting account, and send them a mail regarding this.

Thank you again
Its really nice to be here,

Regards,
Manish Kapadia
Bombay-India

Old 03-04-2001, 02:28 AM
ex-Aussie

Manish,

I think what it comes down to is the end user. If the reseller has vanished there's going to be a point at which you have to shut the account down. These end users may not know who you are, but they will notice if their sites go up in smoke. I don't think this would be the first time a host has had to step in and pink up the remenants of a resellers account. If you just sit back and let it go, these people will have to try to regroup and get their sites back online. Were it me, I'd be very happy someone stepped in to look after my best interests, making the transition as painless as possible.

I think it becomes fairly obvious when someone gets up and walks away. Give it till the account *should* be closed, than give it a week or so longer, then pull his plug. At worst, you'll remove one bad host from the equation

Greg Moore

Old 03-04-2001, 08:08 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Maybe send your reseller a friendly email saying you haven't heard from them for awhile and reminding them they have several accounts about to expire. Ask them to RSVP your note.

If they don't reply then at least you tried.

Old 03-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thumbs up

Hi all

just to tell you that i did contact them and am happy that 80% of them have responded positively, Most among them appreciated my concern for their sites and promptly renewed their sites with me, Others have promised to when their renewal comes by end of the month, A couple of them were angry also

One or two of them did go to other providers but i guess that was bound to happen, You cant retain 100 % of your clients.

I still think it is wise to contact directly in such cases.

Just in case something like this happens to you guys

Still do trace of my Ex reseller company.
Regards everyone

Manish Kapadia
Bombay-India

Old 03-11-2001, 01:46 PM
ex-Aussie

And most importantly, these customers now have a reliable source of support again

As I said, it's them you should be concerned about. Your reseller had certain responsibilites they they obviously didn't hold themselves too, so I see no problem at all in what you did.

Greg Moore

Old 03-11-2001, 01:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Thumbs up

YES

Old 04-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You did the right thing. If a reseller is nowhere to be found, that pretty much means they aren't reselling much for you. Any business relationship has to be give and take, not take and run. They showed no loyalty to their customers, by leaving no viable point of contact. You don't need resellers like that. They will tarnish your company image by proxy.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Go Daddy Blocks Whois Info on Expiring Domains, Protects Domain Auction Business Web Hosting News 2012-11-14 11:20:35
Web Host Go Daddy Sees 95 Percent Increase in Indian Resellers Over Q3 2011 Web Hosting News 2012-10-30 15:07:50
New Partnership Deal Allows InterNetX Resellers to List Domains on Sedo Network Web Hosting News 2012-09-06 16:01:48
Web Host Go Daddy Launches VPS Reseller Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-08-20 14:47:27
SherWeb Partners Can Pass Off Customer Support with New Distributor Program Web Hosting News 2012-07-12 13:49:23