DA vs HyperVM/LXadmin

Hi there,

firstly thanks to all who contribute here, its really been an educational tool to say the least.

Here is my situation.

I have rented the VPS to host a single site, mine. So there is no reselling/billing involved, nor any resource plans etc to set up.

I was plying around with Direct Admin but found it a bit confusing so I installed the LX admin within HyperVM. This seemed to kill my DA (cannot log into it anymore).

After fiddling with LXadmin i found is intuitive enough to set up a client account for my site with what I think I need. (real basic stuff for a PHP/mysql site)

Now I am happy with the setup, do I really need DA?

Core reason for this is that I have noticed that the RAM usage is averaging 20MB vs the 140BM that was used when DA was running.

Since I have limited RAM (256) it seems logical to not have my provider reinstall DA.

Is there any real reason to use it if LXadmin has done the job for me?

I am thinking of asking the provider to credit the DA license to me for hosting charges rather????

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

Ko

if you are ok with lxadmin, there is no use for DA.

also, you cannot have 2 control panels at the same time.

thats why, DA crashed when you installed lxadmin

Thanks, makes sense somewhat.

Suppose the RAM saving is a blessing.

Ko

DA is simple, it's plain, it's bland but it works and works well. But if you like another control panel, then DA isn't right for you. Go with what you like. And as said, two control panels usually don't get along with each other on the same system.

lxadmin is a life saver. I love DA a lot but if a website doesnot use rewrite rules lxa is my first choice.

Thanks everyone for shedding light on this for me, much appreciated for the time and effort in replying.

Looks like DA is dead for me for now.

Thanks again

Ko

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoMike View Post
    DA is simple, it's plain, it's bland but it works and works well.
    A visual overhaul by a good designer would definitely put DA a lot higher up in the rankings. I'm really not sure why they don't do something like this.

I think Plesk is the only control panel that actually looks like it was visually designed by professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave View Post
    A visual overhaul by a good designer would definitely put DA a lot higher up in the rankings. I'm really not sure why they don't do something like this.

I think Plesk is the only control panel that actually looks like it was visually designed by professionals.
    Don't get me wrong, if I had to use a panel, it would be DA. I love it. It's lightweight, it's non-intrusive and it doesn't have any dependencies on the underlying system (meaning I can run any version of apache, php, mysql, opessl and really even lighttpd although that's not officially supported...yet).

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave View Post
    A visual overhaul by a good designer would definitely put DA a lot higher up in the rankings.
    No thanks. Its nice and simple no need for some over done graphics. DA also accepts templates so you can design your own skin.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

DA's current template is not at all bad, its the easiest for both power user and beginners.

DA is lightweight as compared to cpanel, but overall it consumes ~160MB every time so a very less RAM left if you are using a low profile

Again, I have to agree that DA is a great and solid control panel and it's a great benefit that it doesn't rely on specific versions of Apache etc. I would also say that the default theme/skin/template for DA is fine, not over-done and still looks really nice, whilst keeping things quite simple and easy to follow!

If you've switched to lxadmin and find that it does the job you need it to, then why not stick to it? It's free, it uses less RAM as you've noticed and well... it does the job! From what I've heard LXAdmin is also very solid and easy to use.

Oh and the reason for you being unable to login to DA anymore is because when setting up LXA in HyperVM, it is basically carrying out the task of "refreshing" the VPS with a new template - a template which consists of LXAdmin (I think it wipes your VPS clean anyway, if I remember correctly)

Another vote for DA from me.

I took it simply for the fact I couldn't afford Cpanel at the time. Was more than a little hesistant, but after using it for a few hours I was suprised how very well put together it is.

It does virtually everything Cpanel does and is a lot less "involved" but accomplishes everything you would want to more or less.

I also find their forum is full of very helpful (and knowledgeable) people and I've heard their official support is also.
    It can only be attributable to human error.

If I remember right Lxadmin uses mysqld and Directadmin uses mysql which was removed when you installed Lxadmin so thats why you can't login. Lxadmin is very lightweight but the only problem i've noticed is in my opinion a still untested product and lacks addons. In directadmin you have scripts like "fantastico" called Installtron and layouts to choose from. In Lxadmin your not able to modify the layout or is their addons such as Installtron because its more of a program according to a a support OP on Lxlabs.com forum. My last thing for you to ponder is what is your plan if you wish to migrate your current accounts to a new control panel? The bigger scripts such as cPanel, Directadmin, and etc are supported by many other companies that provide import scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.G View Post
    In directadmin you have scripts like "fantastico" called Installtron and layouts to choose from. In Lxadmin your not able to modify the layout or is their addons such as Installtron because its more of a program according to a a support OP on Lxlabs.com forum.
    Lxadmin has InstallApp containing 130 web applications, which is integrated with it. You can change the header for lxadmin/hyperVM. PLease check the post in our general howto forum.

Thanks.
    Last edited by hello-world; 12-07-2007 at 04:20 AM.
    HyperVM, The most complete VPS management system in the industry, now with Windows Support
    http://lxlabs.com/software/hypervm/full-feature
    Lxadmin: HiB: runs on 15MB RAM; Enterprise: 100s of thousands of domains on 100s of Servers.
    http://lxlabs.com/software/lxadmin/