vBulletin 3 Preview.....

http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3

Can't wait to see what the new color scheme will be...

Nice, it could use spell-check.

I prefer the old version, this one looks ugly in my opinion, the features that is..

Originally posted by edude
    I prefer the old version, this one looks ugly in my opinion, the features that is..
    I think it'll look alot better when they get the templates done and the new style up...

They are finally getting rid of the purple

I don't think that they should be adding any new features to it other than small modifications, if they do have some spare time I hope they'll use it to be something as useful as Vbulletin
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

D'uh!
    They've decided to give it a try:
    http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/showth...d&threadid=334
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

Great feature.

/me hopes multiple file attachments will be available...

I like it

Can't wait to get my hands on it.
    For a great new forum please click on my weblink.
    ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS
    VISIT ME AT
    http://www.jmdsforum.com

Spell check would be nice...

Originally posted by iamdave
    Spell check would be nice...
    There would be another service offered like spellcheck.com was...

It would be nearly impossible for vB to make the dictionary files todo it and distibute it..

Now, if WHT wanted to install a spellchecker, there is a great hack over at vBulletin.org, but it requires pspell to be compiled into PHP...

I'll pass.
    iHosts.com >> Web hosting forum
    I own a webhosting community hosted at Dominet.net
    Thank you DomiNET

aww the tree view looks horrible in my opinion.

Originally posted by edude
    aww the tree view looks horrible in my opinion.
    I don't like threaded either...

Frankly, if the looks don't improve on vB 3, I won't be upgrading.. Been messing with it and it just isn't worth the hassle yet...

Originally posted by The Prohacker

There would be another service offered like spellcheck.com was...

It would be nearly impossible for vB to make the dictionary files todo it and distibute it..

Now, if WHT wanted to install a spellchecker, there is a great hack over at vBulletin.org, but it requires pspell to be compiled into PHP...
    UBB.Threads has a nice spellchecking hack that doesn't require any additional software to run. Checks via an online dictionary, and produces a small popup with the corrected spelling in it showing where your errors were. I'm sure the same thing could be done for vB if someone tried.

Uh maybe it's just me, but I can't actually see any difference between version 2 and 3.

Colours are the same, roll-overs are the same, what's different?

Okay sure I don't actually own a copy os maybe thats it, but I use and have used various forums running vBulletin, but at first glance, it just looks the same to me. Maybe I missed something....

Originally posted by JeremyV

UBB.Threads has a nice spellchecking hack that doesn't require any additional software to run. Checks via an online dictionary, and produces a small popup with the corrected spelling in it showing where your errors were. I'm sure the same thing could be done for vB if someone tried.
    The thing for UBB.threads is lame... It uses spellcheck.net

And won't reinsert the corrected spelling into your post, you have to manually copy it back...

There are a few hacks at vB.org that will do this.. One requires pspell to be compiled into PHP, the other is a perl script that uses pspell on the server...

Originally posted by reseller
    Uh maybe it's just me, but I can't actually see any difference between version 2 and 3.
    They haven't finished the version 3 templates and graphics yet.

Lats...

vbulletin is starting to look more like phpbb now :-D
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Originally posted by The Prohacker

The thing for UBB.threads is lame... It uses spellcheck.net

And won't reinsert the corrected spelling into your post, you have to manually copy it back...

There are a few hacks at vB.org that will do this.. One requires pspell to be compiled into PHP, the other is a perl script that uses pspell on the server...
    Wouldn't call that lame, since I don't want it to correct everything for me. A lot of times I or other users use a lot of slang or acronyms and its nice to see at a glance what word may be spelled wrong.

Umm what's so new and great about vB 3?
    From what I've seen so far it's just version 2x with lots of hacks already installed.... big deal :p

I guess there are some more features hidden in it but why upgrade when your bb works great?

I don't see anything that special. The look is confusing and so far it seems to just be a vB2 with hacks added. All the new features either mean nothing to me or are hacks that have been available since the early vB2 days. The vB team hyped this version up and I am a bit disappointed with the product.
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    Aim: WoodDraw87

It's still early days
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Now John has posted a list of new features:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=51821

For those like myself who do not perform hacks, I find a couple features in VB3 welcomed.

Longer signature field with optional limit

Improved attachment system. Statistics, Attachment types editing. Ability to delete old attachments. Ability to limit users to X number of bytes in total attachments. Option to "expire" attachments in CP.

Attachment images (.gif,.jpg,etc) are no longer in the database.

From John's Feature's Update:

"Insert smilie/vB code where cursor is (IE 5+ Only)"

THANK GOD!!! This is one thing that drove me nuts, is that I've have a huge post and would add a URL in the middle (where my cursor was) and it'd show up at the end, got to be a hassle sometimes.

The personal picture thing in the profile is also cool, this was one feature I missed when I switched from UBB to vBulletin.

I haven't looked through all of the other features but I've definitely seen some great ones. Who cares if it's a bunch of hacks installed? Means that users don't have to manually install the hacks that they had before. What is the point of hacks? To get features that we want that aren't there. Obviously if people WANT them and are asking for hacks for them, it's really just saying, "I want my vB to have this." So why does it matter if the vB team is putting in there in the new version so that these people don't have to install them as hacks (which could fsck up the board anyway)? Not only that, but people request all of these sorts of things on the vbulletin.com suggestions forum all the time, it proves that Jelsoft is paying attention to what us vB users want in a bulletin board.

I still prefer Invision board; it is much better than VB, in my opinion, and faster AND free. I use it and I am a happy camper.