Thread: ASP Question

ASP Question

Could someone write a quick asp script that takes the username and password from the current log in user? I'm a newbie an very clueless. Thanks.

Which current logged in user are you talking about? The user that is logged into Windows, or the user that is logged into your site through another ASP page?

I want to get the user that is accessing the asp page login and password (the login when he signs on to his machine).

The reason i'm taking his windows logon username and password so i can pass those variables to another application.

OK, then that would probably be stored in a session variable by the login page, such as
    Session("uid") and Session("pw")

You only need to access those session variables to get the username and password.

If you aren't storing the username and password with the login page, then you should change it to do that so you can access this info on other pages.

Hope this helps.

I think you are looking for:

Request.Servervariables("AUTH_USER")

and

Request.Servervariables("AUTH_PASSWORD")
    I think its this one. It will only work with basic authentication though.

I use Request.Servervariables("AUTH_USER")

and why it doesn't give me anything? is there something that I have to set to in the IIS webserver?

The ALL_HTTP gives me the header info though. Your help is appreciated.

>(the login when he signs on to his machine).

Looks like he means the Windows itself name/password (or NT domain or Netware, etc.).

I don't think you can do this... For one thing it would be a HUGE security hole. Image getting this info from someone who was on a dedicated line of some type, dsl w/static ip, DS-x, OC-x network, etc. If file sharing was on, you have access to everything on the machine he did. And it's not like file sharing or windows needs any more security holes than they've got already.

Sorrie for the confusing.. Is it possible to get just the Username? I dont want the password. Thanks.

Is this for an internet site or like a company's intranet? If it is just an intranet and you have NT user logins, you can use the Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") variable for the username. You might have to strip the domain off it, something like:

dim sUserID
    dim iBackSlashPosition
    iBackSlashPosition = instr(1, request.servervariables("LOGON_USER"), "\")
    sUserID = mid(request.servervariables("LOGON_USER"), iBackSlashPosition + 1, len(request.servervariables("LOGON_USER")))

That's probably not the most efficient, just pulled it from some code I had.