Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unmetered host for under $99?

Hi, does anyone know where I can get an unmetered dedicated server for $99/mo with no setup? If you could help me out that would be great I dunno if its possible but I had to ask ;-)
      0 Not allowed!

next you'll be asking for unmetered for $49 month, come on guys..

It maybe possible on a Cogent only connection, but you're definately pussing your luck
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas
      0 Not allowed!

Rackshack offer dedicated 10mbit (cogent) unmetered for $399 per month. And they are pretty much the leader in low cost dedicated servers so I don't think you will get an unmetered server for $99 a month!!
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie
      0 Not allowed!

Well fdcservers does it but I'm looking for free setup too.
      0 Not allowed!

Why do you specifically need "umetered" connection?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

So I can offer huge amounts of band to my resellers
      0 Not allowed!

I see. Have you considered that the performance of unmetered connections are usually sub-standard? (not to mention severely capped)

I think your resellers would appreciate quality, regardless of the quantity.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Believe me... with only 400gb band you can only offer about 60 gig to 6 or 7 people unless you over sell like most people... but I don't want to over sell
      0 Not allowed!

Would you prefer 400GB of stable bandwidth vs. unmetered but unstable bandwidth?

Overselling is ok as long as you plan carefully. This is part of the business.

If you don't believe me, just consider two extremes: 1) that most resellers with even less bandwidth are doing fine, and 2)that if you have thought about this idea, surely someone else have thought about it too (and did it too), why aren't they the most successful guys?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

The market is way to competitive to offer small amounts of bandwidth and stuff like that... that is why I need to offer alot of bandwidth. Let me make you aware not all "unmetered" bandwidth is bad bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

No, I didn't say "all" unmetered bandwidth are bad bandwidth. In fact, the big providers all use unmetered bandwidth. (Rackshack didn't buy connection by GB from the providers, they buy it in Gbps).

I am specifically commenting on your budget. $99 for unmetered bandwidth isn't likely to be the best (not to mention the no-setup part). Just think about it:

Cogent bandwidth costs $30 per mbps (and I have heard that they are increasing the price). If a provider wants to sell to you, they also have to factor in the cost for the dedicated server as well. Therefore, you are not likely to get over 2 mbps of bandwdith. That comes to about 600GB of transfer per month, but since your usage is more likely not going to be sustained, that equals about 400GB, and you are right back where you started. (not to mention haveing you connection capped at 2 mbps).

Now, I am not saying that this is impossible, There are providers who could provide more, but you would be at the mercy of their business models. You said you don't want to oversell, but if you want such a quantity of transfer, you are just depending on your provider to oversell. (either way, given the cost, overselling is inevitable; its just whether *you* or *your provider* oversell).

Whether you take my advice is up to you. I don't profit from your success (or failure, for that matter). I am just trying to be helpful and supply you with the relevant information. Whatever conclusion you want to draw is up to you.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by dallassmith
    <sigh> I'm trying to think of something to say... I'm at a loss for words so much that I can't even think of a smart-ass comment to make about this.

LOL... $99/month.. unmetered... free setup and want's to be competitive and offer GOOD high end reseller plans.

God this business is going to trash.
      0 Not allowed!

The market is way to competitive to offer small amounts of bandwidth and stuff like that... that is why I need to offer alot of bandwidth. Let me make you aware not all "unmetered" bandwidth is bad bandwidth.
    Oh, and "let me make you aware" that webhostingtalk.com is not the world. There are much more expensive but much smaller account out there.

As I said before, if you have thought about this, others surely must have thought about it as well. (it isn't a hard thing to come up with this). Mr. Smith, my gentle friend, why do you think the market isn't full of successful high bandwidth resellers?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

hey rast you don't have to be such a jerk I am trying to get started in the business and when I earn enough money move on to a higher end provider. You probably started out with donhost or somethin trashy at least im looking at dedicated servers. And Peter I don't want care if the hosting company over sells because then it isn't my butt if I go over 400mbps so I don't have to worry about dumb fees and all that.

-Aaron-
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I am speechless.

I have given you enough information. I don't get paid by typing. You have a brain, go use it.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

dallassmith: the fact is, you want to compete in a market full of people who take a risk and oversell, but dont want to take the risk yourself. You want yuor provider to take the risk and oversell for you by offering unmetered connections for that cheap, which is plain unreasonable.

If you want to compete with the high bandwidth resellers toe to toe, take the same risks they take.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, one more thing, in case you can't come up with this yourself:

If your provider goes down, you do too. And in your case, assuming you can get such an offer (which is slim chance already), the probability is much higher.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Now I know why your parents named you peter because thats what your acting like! I wasn't trying to be a jerk and you dont have to be im new to this market. my god people.
      0 Not allowed!

I spend all these time typing and this is what I get?

I probably should have just thrown in a good joke and be done?

If you dont' appreciate my help; fine. In fact, go ahead, get an unmetered connection, do whatever you want. Geez, like I have nothing better to do than to bother you......

That's it for me. I won't be "acting" in your thread anymore.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

I doubt a $99 machine (built with knock-offs and generic inferior h/w) wouldn't be able to push more than 500 GB per month anyway.
    Last edited by netacore; 08-05-2002 at 03:27 PM.
    Norm Sherman @ Netacore
    Fast/Reliable cPanel hosting on premium bandwidth
    http://netacore.com
      0 Not allowed!

Hostmania.net...75/mo with 75/setup for 3mbps unmetered on a 1.2ghz celeron.
      0 Not allowed!

PM Me if you want a 486 box on a unmetered 56k modem
      0 Not allowed!

Good one clocker. Trying to sell an old box on a DSL connection?

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mushrew
    Hostmania.net...75/mo with 75/setup for 3mbps unmetered on a 1.2ghz celeron.
    He wants no setup fee too, so this probably wouldn't work.
      0 Not allowed!

So if I offered brand new cars for $500, would you expect everyone else to? Would you expect a brand new car for $500 to perform just as well as a brand new car for $15,000?

If you think the market is way too competitive, then you're definitely getting involved in the wrong market.

I don't understand why you were such a jerk to Peter. He's been doing nothing but trying to help. Sometimes, the truth hurts.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      0 Not allowed!

hey rast you don't have to be such a jerk I am trying to get started in the business and when I earn enough money move on to a higher end provider. You probably started out with donhost or somethin trashy at least im looking at dedicated servers. And Peter I don't want care if the hosting company over sells because then it isn't my butt if I go over 400mbps so I don't have to worry about dumb fees and all that.

-Aaron-
    No sir... I never started out with a reseller account. 3 years ago I did make a mistake but at the time it wasn't widely known as is today it was a mistake.... I got a dedicated server from C>>> I>>> host. After realizing that was a mistake I went to another ded. server from another company that was more money a month but better quality then went to Burst.net a year after that at $250/month for 50 gigs/month. I started off slow and small and make good money from it now.

You on the other hand obviously knew the kind of response you would get when asking for a free setup $99/month unmetered server. And you're making comments about you don't care if the hosting company oversells. If such a thing existed it would be blasted all over the place and we'd all have one.

The reason I made the comment that I did is that it there are too many people trying to outdo the next host and offer crappy, over sold service. They make a few hundred bucks and go by a new video game and and CD's then get tired of the support and work that is involved in starting a BUSINESS..... again that word is a BUSINESS.. not a hobby. It hurts everyone when jokers do crap like that because then the end users don't trust the next host thinking they'll only be around 6 months like the last.

So you think I'm a jerk and may be want to take any advice from me... but I welcome you to the hosting world... but the only way you're gonna make it is to listen to what I have said above and listen to the others on here that are TRYING to show you cheap is not better.

Why not get a large reseller account from someone and then as you say when you start making money move up to a good quality ded. server? If you go with a good company and have anonymous nameservers the end user shouldn't know you're a reseller and you can move the accounts over once you can afford it. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to offer larger but cheaper quality hosting accounts to get business. If you spent a week contacting businesses in your own home town or neighboring towns you would be surprised at how many $20-$25/month hosting accounts you would get that use a few hundred megs of storage and 5-10 gigs of bw or less and they would be happy you contacted them because so far everywhere I've gone locally where people don't search for hosting on the internet, $50-$75/month is not an uncommon price businesses out there are paying for very small amounts of bw and space.
      0 Not allowed!

Believe me... with only 400gb band you can only offer about 60 gig to 6 or 7 people unless you over sell like most people... but I don't want to over sell
    Then you want to buy mbps and not GBs, especially not unmetered as those are already oversold before it reaches you (and your customers).

I think the guys you bashed gave good advice, and that you should have paid closer attention to them instead of flaming them.

BTW, you know anything about managing a server, or was that going to be your next question?
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry peter for the ignorant response on this thread... I didn't mean that I just have had a rough day and whenever I try to start a webhosting company or not know alot about something people in the threads always make me mad. I didn't mean to affend you and I am sorry and thank you for your advice. All I was asking though is about the server and didn't want to here "Are you smoking crack?" you must be if you think you can get this kind of deal. Stuff like that just gets on my last nerve ignorant people shouldn't post to crap someones thread but when I gave it some thought I didn't realize you were trying to help I thought you were just trying to shut me down.

Again Sorry,
    Aaron
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the apology; it makes all my typings worthwhile. A year ago I was probably just like you now. So long as you work, you can succeed.

Live and learn.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for accepting my apologies.. I would like to contact you on aim or icq sometime maybe so you can teach me some tricks of the trade ;-) and how to get started possibly (that is if you wanted). Keep in touch.

-Aaron
      0 Not allowed!

Dallas, i'm a newbie, i dont intend to start a company, but i know a few things, so heres some advice.

1. you do it cheap, you'll fail, your competing against all the other people who can afford a little bit more, and have more experience.

2. if its just the setup fee thats an issue alot of providers will split it over the first few months.

3. If you really are new to this, and are intent on making this company works, my guess is you'll be back again and again for advice (no bad thing there), so i wouldnt alienate anyone.
      0 Not allowed!

Aaron, my PM box is always open. And we are all here to help, should you have any question.

By the way, a number of people besides myself has made some very good points. They may be insulting, but take the pain and read them carefully, you will benefit greatly.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Why don't you start with a VDS?
      0 Not allowed!

Managed Server . If you don't want so much downtime.
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )
      0 Not allowed!

The market is way to competitive to offer small amounts of bandwidth and stuff like that... that is why I need to offer alot of bandwidth.
    the market is competitive you are right.

but there's no competition on amounts of bandwith

there's competition on support quality.

all hosts that are still alive have understood that.
    I sell nothing, I only buy
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by alain

the market is competitive you are right.

but there's no competition on amounts of bandwith

there's competition on support quality.

all hosts that are still alive have understood that.
    Correct. :-)

We don't offer unlimited, or even what most would consider high bandwidth plans. And - it doesn't matter - we have lots of customers. Why?

Competent, fast, courteous service.

Its that simple.

We have one customer who has purchased more bandwidth like 8 times for an account. Its worth it to him because his web site is always up, and always fast. Even though its pushing 90 GB a month, we still offer a competitive price and he doesn't have to worry about managing his own server.

There are plenty of other clients out there just like him. I'd rather have 1 client like that than 50 clients who want unlimited everything for $4 per month.

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

Please contact me, I have a 56k lying around somewhere you can use for your unmetered connection. I also have a 486 lying around if your interested
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

On another note... if you have a connection that can push 3tb/mth your server would need to allow this. A 1ghz duron with no scripting (static html) will be able to push this. Start putting in cgi scripts, php etc good luck.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast