Question Oracle XE and CentOs

Hi,

somebody tried?

I used Oracle on RHEL - was ok, but now do not know what to choose

Thank you!

I have had a Centos server and it was hacked due to a security bug in the software! I had someone sending spam emails from my server and it almost cost me a lot. I am glad my server admin caught it. Any way, I do not know what you have heard about Centos in the past, but I will never use it again for my servers. Thats just my bad experience I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorizedNetwork View Post
    I have had a Centos server and it was hacked due to a security bug in the software! I had someone sending spam emails from my server and it almost cost me a lot. I am glad my server admin caught it. Any way, I do not know what you have heard about Centos in the past, but I will never use it again for my servers. Thats just my bad experience I guess.
    You either had an outdated kernel or another vulnerability in a module you used. CentOS is just a repackaged RHEL. RHEL and Fedora are largely the same as well (current Fedora usually ends up being the next RHEL major release).

Please don't spread FUD based on inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorizedNetwork View Post
    Then you need to be looking and how good your "admin" is. Blaming the OS shows exactly how good your "admin" is.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

At the time I was using a management company to take care of this server. This was a while ago, I now have a great senior server administrator working for me. I think mike is right about the kernal being outdated at the time.

6. running oracle xe on fedora seems fine, had no problems with it yet

just opened the doors of the company so i guess i have all that to look forward to

will prob use centos on my next server, as i don't need so many bleeding edge features

If your haveing problems give me a shout