Which page error is this?

I have a "members" section on my site, where people must pay to enter.

When non-paying visitors come to the site, and try to access it, it comes up with this error:

Authorization Required
    This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is this a 401 error? For some strange reason, going to something like: www.aznraps.com/LSDJKFJ.htm will bring in the 404 page error correctly, but the 401 error always ends up the default error page.

I linked the 401 Error Document into the same 404 error page, so it should be working properly but it's not.

Which page error is this?

Any idea on what can be the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Can you really link an errorpage to another? Anyway, the first error (unauthorized) is the main error, 404 is what you get when it can't serve the page because it isn't there. Why do you want people to think the page doesn't exist, when they're not authorized to see it?
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

For people who can't access it, I wanted it to say:

"Sorry, you need to be a member to view this page. Click here to sign up!"

or something of the sort. I don't think it's a 404 error, because my 404 page error never comes up.

Ok... Do you have full access to your errorpages? If you do, then you should be able to format them any way you like, with images, links, etc. This should be done on the 401 page. Where do you host? Do you have CPanel?

Yeah, I'm on a dedicated server at nocster.com.

Yeah, I have cpanel.

In my public_html, I edit the .htacess file to handle the error documents.

It originally says:

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all

order deny,allow
    deny from all

I manually added:

ErrorDocument 401 http://www.aznraps.com/error_pages/404.shtml
    ErrorDocument 404 http://www.aznraps.com/error_pages/404.shtml

Yet, when you go to www.aznraps.com/membes/XXX.XXX, no page error comes up.

Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

well... you said you wanted non-members to be given a link to sign up, didn't you?

Then, if I'm not misstaken, you shouldn't do anything to the .htaccess file, you should edit the 401 error page. You did that with your 404 page didn't you.

I'm not into frontpage, so I don't know if that one adds strange things to your .htaccess-file.

I wanted non-members who tryed accessing a member file (like a downlad), to receive the error message.

The problem is, when non-members enter the members section, they don't receive ANY error at all. I pointed the 401 error the the 404 error found at: www.aznraps.com/xXXxxxX/, but for some reason it doesn't show up.

The problem I'm facing right now is getting my custom error page to show up when non-members try to access the page.

I removed the frontpage headings, yet still get the same problems. This is very strange!

well... do your members log on?

Is your protected files in a protected folder whith the right cmod?

Yes, I'm using membership client pro

I didn't think you could do htaccess documents with FrontPage.
    This is not strange at all, because FrontPage has it's own system of permissions. (the only strage thing is why to people still use FrontPage)
    Use notepad to edit your htaccess file, and your error page(s), and get a real FTP client. (you can probably use your cpanel to upload, but I think FTP is faster)
    Trust me, do this, and your problems will be solved.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Listen to ATST, that is a good advice. Frontpage always does strange things. I remember when I tried to use it the first time. It was the one that came along around office 97. I started it, and it wanted internet-access (which I didn't have), and created a whole bunch of strange folders. I've also seen evidence in how it turns a simple image-link into a complex image-map. Tons of extra code!

Stop using frontpage and you will feel much better!

Frontpage shouldn't have an effect on the 401 error.

For instance, I edited the .htaccess file manually, adding in the 404 error page link myself. If you go to an incorrect page, then the 404 page link pops up just fine.

Maybe I'm linking the wrong error? If you go to www.aznraps.com/members/NOLINKHERE, then a page error would come up. It's a 401 error, with an additional 404 error or something.. maybe it has trouble handling a error document with two errors?

I was never educated in webpaging. I've been running my site out of my learning experience as I've gone a long the way, and it's been with Frontpage. I've been using it for 3 years now, and don't think I will change to anything else since I'm so familiar with it (or so I think!).

OK I just tried to log in using bad credentials, and got the 401 page, so it does work. You want a custom page? Do you have a cpanel?
    Tell you what, I'll make you one. I'll send it as a text file, and all you will have to do is change the extension, and upload it.
    Log in your cpanel and see if there is a 401.shtml, if there is, rename the text file I gave you to "401.shtml" then upload it to replace the one that is there.
    If you look at the text file you will see the words (!-- text --) and (!-- end Text -- ) you can change any words you wish in between there.
    Also, there is a blank link included that looks like (a href="") and will show up on the page as the word HERE. You can easily put a URL between the two "s and the link will go to that URL.
    It's nothing fancy, I just took the style of your forums.

Bottom line:
    FrontPage is for people who want some html pages. It is NOT for people who do not want to be limited, and want to use scripts and htaccess.
    It does indeed look like you are serious with your site, so you will have to make a decision on what you want to be able to do with it. FrontPage is probably not the answer.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."