Absolute path match...

When setting up my local file system I set it up to mirror my hosts.
    (had to add a D drive and everything)

For instance, the absolute path in perl to my index.htm is:

d:/web/users/zaptacularcom/index.htm

This made sense in terms of time saving for development and local testing.

My host (for which I was a reseller) has totally changed systems and is kicking everyone off the old system by Jan 1st, 2003. ( http://www.centralinfo.net/ in case you're wondering. beware! )

Anyway, I am still looking for alternative solutions...

Just thought I would start with this... Does anyone know of another host that uses the same file path system?

D drive, /web/users/ domain name and extension /

Not much of a starting point, I know, but it could save me and my current (maybe former) clients some file/folder shifting and hassle in the move to new servers.

Thanks,
    Michael
    MIA

Can't you just pull the content off site... fire off ultraedit or something similar and do a quick find/replace? Shouldn't take more than two mins.

Originally posted by gtangsk
    Can't you just pull the content off site... fire off ultraedit or something similar and do a quick find/replace? Shouldn't take more than two mins.
    Well, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that I would rather not. I would like to keep my local folder structure the same as it is now. I would like not to have to tell my possibly former clients, "You have move all your folders around just because some inconsiderate company decided to shaft us both".

My computer is set up as a server so I can run Perl, PHP, ASP, etc. The server program reads d:/web/ as the root folder. If I change it to accommodate a different file scheme while testing another host, I'll have to change the darn thing back before my original sites will work again and so on and so forth. Anyway, a big hassle while I am trying to transition to a new host. I just wanted to save some time and hassle, that's all.

At this rate, it looks like I may give up hosting other peoples' sites all together.

-Michael
    MIA

Hey michael, change is usually a good thing.

This probably means that they're either changing data centers, or actually upgrading hardware or switching OS or something, or they just found a better way.

It will probably be beneficial in the long run.

Just another perspective.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Perl is the best for searching and replacing... and easy too. Your scenario shouldn't be a problem at all. Just use symlinks until you have time to do a proper file name search and replace with Perl.

You may want to use the Search button at the top of this forum to look for an earlier thread a few months ago about searching and replacing.

Maybe an idea in future would be to include your absolute paths in your scripts dynamically through a config, that way you could easily move to any system by changing one line.
    Brian McCluskey
    http://www.lightningservers.net
    Email: sales AT lightningservers DOT net

I forgot. You could also use Apache's mod_rewrite. That'd probably be the easiest way to handle it.

Originally posted by bitserve
    Hey michael, change is usually a good thing. This probably means that they're either changing data centers, or actually upgrading hardware or switching OS or something, or they just found a better way. It will probably be beneficial in the long run. Just another perspective.
    Well, they couldn't get any worse... they had taken out Perl LWP:imple and ASP FSO. They shut down MSSQL with about 14 days notice and aren't even trying to keep their clients/resellers. (and resellers' resellers, which I never opted to do) Only by saying "Old servers are closing, switch to our new setup or a new host.".

I think it will improve because it seems they have handed over housing the servers to someone else and that can't be anything but an improvement. Also, they seem to be touting some previously missing features and some kind of Unix Windows mix for each domain. (don't know how that works) What it comes down to is... they are getting rid of their servers because they couldn't get them upgraded to Windows 2000 from NT (for whatever reason) and they could not afford to support features which they may have under priced in the first place. Also, they don't want the headaches anymore.

It is a disappointment because it seemed with the number of clients and resellers they had they would try to sell the server base as a whole to save everyone a bunch of trouble. This is a possibility that the resellers had naively discussed long ago at the forums. (forums which disappeared shortly before the no MSSQL email was received) It wouldn't have hurt their new venture with the out sourced mixed servers and they probably would have come out money ahead... I think most clients/resellers on the old system will not risk moving to the new system now that we are shoved out in the cold. (if they thought we were, they were wrong) Well, anyway, I didn't start this thread to talk about them, I started it to save me time. (it has rather backfired)
    Originally posted by chrisb
    Perl is the best for searching and replacing... and easy too. Your scenario shouldn't be a problem at all. Just use symlinks until you have time to do a proper file name search and replace with Perl. You may want to use the Search button at the top of this forum to look for an earlier thread a few months ago about searching and replacing.
    Not sure what "symlinks" is...? I do know Perl and have a search and replace script on my computer. However, a program such as ultraedit (which I do not have) would probably be much safer. Regardless, that's not the issue anyway... I want to avoid shifting my local folders around much more than having to edit the files.
    Originally posted by FNM
    Maybe an idea in future would be to include your absolute paths in your scripts dynamically through a config, that way you could easily move to any system by changing one line.
    Well, a search and replace program would be just about as easy. Could explain what you mean by "dynamically through a config"?
    Originally posted by chrisb
    I forgot. You could also use Apache's mod_rewrite. That'd probably be the easiest way to handle it.
    Well, my computer is W98, so, me thinks that doesn't apply.

As far as finding a host with a matching path... NEVERMIND. I just wanted to avoid screwing with things on my local drive, but it looks like I must. I just remember what a pain it was to install Perl and PHP and want to muck anything up. I am going to start messing with my set up now to see what I can do to eliminate my transition problem and maybe make it so that it will work with more than one kind of set up without me having to make changes to test within each path set up.

-Michael
    MIA