Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 56.34%
  • No

31 43.66%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    did you ever think maybe you could write rules that prohibit the kind of stuff you're talking about?
    I don't write the rules, but it was already there at the time IIRC. It was ignored, and many posts were removed for it.

The benefit is, you get all of the terrible threads where people are simply asking for a host, and move them to another forum, and then allow real discussion to take place in the webhosting forum.
    How is that different from now, where all hosting requests are removed, leaving room for "real" discussions to take place?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    How is that different from now, where all hosting requests are removed, leaving room for "real" discussions to take place?
    Hosting requests are removed?
      0 Not allowed!

From the rules:
    "Hosting Requests
    Threads requesting hosting are not appropriate in any Forum Category."
      0 Not allowed!

From the rules:
    "Hosting Requests
    Threads requesting hosting are not appropriate in any Forum Category."
    Yeah it's a rule but is it just me or is it not enforced? Hence: "Hosting requests are removed?"

I'm confused, Bear. If hosting requests are removed than why are we having this discussion?
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 01-21-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: merged posts
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by amex View Post
    Yeah it's a rule but is it just me or is it not enforced? Hence: "Hosting requests are removed?"
    We either remove the post/thread, or edit to remove the parts that say "make offer" or "PM me with quotes", so yes it's enforced. Asking for advice or recommendations is still fine.

I'm confused, Bear. If hosting requests are removed than why are we having this discussion?
    Because a member (in this case, ub3r) wanted to know if it was possible to have this again. Change sometimes takes place though that sort of questioning.
      0 Not allowed!

The forum lacks a lot of things already. There's no point in dulling everything down to the point where there's nothing interesting, because then you're just degrading the overall quality of the forum.

I think you've been here long enough to remember a couple huge scams that took place. Do you remember how they started? Do you want to support that?

You can't make rules to prevent it. And I don't want to be a part of it.
    Sure, there will be scammers. This would only teach the user to be more cautious of who they buy from, and to actually look into a host before they signup.

You can't make rules to prevent it? What? You write all kinds of rules, why can't you write this one that enables what may be the most obvious forum to not exist on wht?

I don't write the rules, but it was already there at the time IIRC. It was ignored, and many posts were removed for it.
    Reputation mod, ban users, censor repeat spammer domains.

Would you see any "recommend a host" threads if the requests forum existed?
    Last edited by ub3r; 01-21-2008 at 12:29 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

We either remove the post/thread, or edit to remove the parts that say "make offer" or "PM me with quotes", so yes it's enforced. Asking for advice or recommendations is still fine.

Thanks for clarifying.

Your right you wouldn't.

So just so I'm understanding correctly - a request forum is created so that those who say "recommend me a host" will either post in the request forum(and then they won't really be asking for recommendation really) or not post at all?

This requests forum. Is it also for people to recommend hosts or are we saying just for web hosting companies to offer hosting proposals.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for clarifying.

Your right you wouldn't.

So just so I'm understanding correctly - a request forum is created so that those who say "recommend me a host" will either post in the request forum(and then they won't really be asking for recommendation really) or not post at all?

This requests forum. Is it also for people to recommend hosts or are we saying just for web hosting companies to offer hosting proposals.
    allow open advertising in that forum. People are obviously doing it already, so why not give everyone an even, and honest playing field?
      0 Not allowed!

The latter two are "weapons" of last resort. Censor happens only rarely, and banning only when left with no other choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Probably less of them, yes. However, we'd also likely see a sharp increase in fake requests just to have something to reply to in the created forum. One forum would have less spam, only to have another that increased. That's one of the reasons I'd say I was opposed to it.
    Well, the idea is to allow hosting requests directly, but if it were created, recommendation posts might also wind up there.
    Hosting offers would still go in the ad forums, but if this were created, they would be allowed to respond with offers directly, something that was disallowed a while back when it wasn't working very well. Frankly, if it didn't work then, I feel the odds of it working out now are not so good, since there are lots more hosts today, many of them "hungry".
      0 Not allowed!

The forum lacks a lot of things already. There's no point in dulling everything down to the point where there's nothing interesting, because then you're just degrading the overall quality of the forum.
    I'm sorry we're not entertaining enough for you. Is that what this is about really? Are you looking for entertainment?

Sure, there will be scammers. This would only teach the user to be more cautious of who they buy from, and to actually look into a host before they signup.
    That reminds me of that woman who burnt her little girl with cigarettes so she'd be afraid of hot things.

You can't make rules to prevent it? What? You write all kinds of rules, why can't you write this one that enables what may be the most obvious forum to not exist on wht?
    Write it out.

Don't forget the ban scammers bit.

Duh.

There'd be just as many. In fact, I'm pretty sure there'd be more.

"So-and-so-host has made me a great offer. Are they any good?" threads will be a daily thing.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    I'm sorry we're not entertaining enough for you. Is that what this is about really? Are you looking for entertainment?
    Alright, alright. I see we're getting nowhere.

Mr. SWR: President Washington here wants you to open up a requests forum (wink,wink)
    Big things coming soon
      0 Not allowed!

Are you looking for entertainment?
    Why don't you use the money that is received for premium memberships to buy a monkey that dances? Everyone likes monkeys, right?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, absolutely. There were just as many then as there are now.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Yes, absolutely. There were just as many then as there are now.
    I guess the idea is that even with additional threads they would be all in the requests forum thus out of the main forum.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Write it out.
    and ub3r can spend his time enforcing it, the moderators here have enough to do.

I guess the idea is that even with additional threads they would be all in the requests forum thus out of the main forum.
    In theory that is the major benifit, but in reality [yes you all know it's a place I endevour to avoid], they would escape,spread, multiply & run riot. - -

Are there not enough 'other' forums that offer that type of service - -

The fact that WHT does not, is in fact a USP in my opinion. - -

gee, I just looked at the poll results, if you have not voted yet, do it now.

No. If people want recommendations, they don't want all the hosts tossing their offers at them.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Then what if we made a 550 post minimum before you can reply to the requests
    Still won't work. Without mentioning names, you see people who spam post all day already and have in excess of 1,000 posts achieved within a few days.. It would be a dangerous tool to give them access to a request forum.

What's wrong with letting the consumer decide what they want to buy?
    It's got nothing to do with letting them decide. Nobody here is restricting the consumer from deciding what they want. If they want the world for nothing, they can go on ebay. If they want more choice, they can go on the offers forum, if they want even more choice then they can go on google.

The responsible thing would be for WHT not to offer a requests forum where scammers are able to easily approach potential victims, and the consumer attracted by everything for next to nothing will jump on the opportunity. If anything WHT is being responsible and not offering the requests forum.

The requests forum already existed, and so it was removed for a reason. If it didn't work at that time, and wasn't beneficial at that time, then why would now be any more different? Nothing has changed except more people considering webhosting as a bandwagon which people looking for a quick buck jump on..
      0 Not allowed!

It's got nothing to do with letting them decide. Nobody here is restricting the consumer from deciding what they want. If they want the world for nothing, they can go on ebay. If they want more choice, they can go on the offers forum, if they want even more choice then they can go on google.
    If you're not letting them accept offers, you are not letting them decide.

We have an offers forum, what's stopping a scammer from posting there?

What's stopping a scammer from replying to a thread in webhosting saying 'i recommend scambaithosting.com'?

The problem with all of you is, you aren't willing to compromise. You're demanding the forum never exist in any shape or form, and aren't giving the administration any kind of haggling point.

ub3r: hey guys, let's go get some vanilla ice cream.
    rameen: NO! NO ICE CREAM! NO ICE CREAM! NEVER!
    ub3r: Well, what about chocolate ice cream? Everybody loves chocolate, right?
    rameen: NO! WE WILL ALL GET FAT AND SICK AND OUR TEETH WILL ROT OUT OF OUR SKULLS
    ub3r: hey, how about some of that sugarless ice cream? That stuff can be pretty good.
    rameen: WHAT ABOUT THE BRAIN FREEZES MAN! ARE YOU TRYING TO GET US ALL KILLED
    ub3r:
      0 Not allowed!

There *were* a requests forum. Too much hassle for what it's worth. It was closed, and it was closed on purpose.

There are numereous websites out there which have requests forums. They are all bad, full of that hassle. They all have rules, but rules or moderation can't stop what we are trying to avoid.

You dream of the advantages of a requests forum, I can understand that, but disadvantages are so much that it makes the forum infeasible and unacceptable.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!
      0 Not allowed!

How can a forum be a hassle? What's stopping wht's mods from declaring zero responsibility over the offers people choose to pick up?

It's not like every host that was advertising in that forum was horrible either. I got my first united hosting account from matt in that forum, and that guy's moved across continents on the money he made from his business.
      0 Not allowed!

If you're not letting them accept offers, you are not letting them decide.
    How on earth is it stopping free choice? Just because you don't have a central marketplace for offers and requests, it doesn't mean you have restricted anything.

I go to a shopping centre, I have hundreds of shops offering a set price for everything. I look on the window and see what is on offer, if I like it, I go inside, if not, I move on. A simple system that works fine. This is what the offers forum does.

Now imagine how a requests forum turns out. Rather than me go round looking at whats on offer, I stand still, hold a board up saying I want everything for next to nothing. I get a bunch of people selling me fake goods, because they know that if you are gullible enough to have such a ridiculous request, then you will be gullible enough to fall for a simple scam. That is a requests forum.

You fail to realise that the problem is not with a requests forum not existing, it's because of lazy people not taking 2 mins to browse through the offers forum instead of posting "i want xyz, make a suggestion". Why cater to those lazy people? Why spend hundreds of moderator hours, moderating a forum which is redundant at best for those that simply are too lazy to go and look at the offers forum?

We have an offers forum, what's stopping a scammer from posting there?
    Absolutely nothing. You have missed the point.

What's stopping a scammer from replying to a thread in webhosting saying 'i recommend scambaithosting.com'?
    Absolutely nothing, but at least the chances of someone looking more into it is higher as those forums give the opportunity to discuss. On the ads forum, you can't begin flaming other companies.

The problem with all of you is, you aren't willing to compromise. You're demanding the forum never exist in any shape or form, and aren't giving the administration any kind of haggling point.
    No, the problem with you is - you fail to see the logic and reason behind not having the requests forum. Instead of a minority of people spending some time actually looking into the offers forum and browsing the forums for potential hosts, you think its easier to throw them into one bag and be done with it.

You don't see it from a hosts perspective. You don't advertise webhosting here, so you are completely ignorant of the problems associated with introducing a requests forum.

Did you stop to think for one minute why it was removed in the first place? Do you really think much has actually improved?

ub3r: hey guys, let's go get some vanilla ice cream.
    rameen: NO! NO ICE CREAM! NO ICE CREAM! NEVER!
    ub3r: Well, what about chocolate ice cream? Everybody loves chocolate, right?
    rameen: NO! WE WILL ALL GET FAT AND SICK AND OUR TEETH WILL ROT OUT OF OUR SKULLS
    ub3r: hey, how about some of that sugarless ice cream? That stuff can be pretty good.
    rameen: WHAT ABOUT THE BRAIN FREEZES MAN! ARE YOU TRYING TO GET US ALL KILLED
    ub3r:
    I would imagine the convo to go more like:

ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about bush, lets create a forum for him
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about company xyz, lets create a forum them
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of joke topics, lets create a jokes section
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about cpanel, lets create a forum for it
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of random topics, lets create a random forum section
    rameen: no
    ub3r: **** you, stop being anti-bush, anti company xyz, anti-jokes, anti-cpanel, anti random topics <insert silly comment here> <insert weak attempt at being witty here>
      0 Not allowed!

ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about bush, lets create a forum for him
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about company xyz, lets create a forum them
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of joke topics, lets create a jokes section
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of topics about cpanel, lets create a forum for it
    ub3r: i'm seeing a lot of random topics, lets create a random forum section
    rameen: no
    ub3r: **** you, stop being anti-bush, anti company xyz, anti-jokes, anti-cpanel, anti random topics <insert silly comment here> <insert weak attempt at being witty here>
    we have social issues
    I'd never recommend that.
    we have the lounge, even though it's a humor desert right now.
    we have the control panels forum
    we still have the lounge
    i'm already anti-bush, and anti most companies, it's bad to be anti-humor, cpanel 11 is terrible, anyone who doesn't like random topics is wrong.

But come on man, you could have written a more interactive dialog than that.
      0 Not allowed!

We've had enough haggling. The staff have given you plenty of reasons why we won't be having a request forum.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    We've had enough haggling. The staff have given you plenty of reasons why we won't be having a request forum.
    Not one valid either, but there's no point in this any more. bye!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast