Just bought a new Dell Inspiron with bog-standard sound, but I can't hear a thing!

I was wondering, is there a way to fix this? Basically I decided to spend £500 (just under) on a new Dell PC which is great generally speaking, but the sound is just atrocious - I can barely hear a thing. Is there a way of fixing this (I.e.: better speakers)? Or do I need a new sound card?

Cheers

(When ordering it, I had a bad gut feeling… just hope now I won’t be disappointed it’s arrived)

It's likely you have an HD audio chipset and multiple audio jacks (for 5.1-x.1 support), you may be plugging your speakers into the line-out, might be plugging them into the rear-speaker jack while it's configured for 2.1 sound. Check out the control panel provided with your card (not Volume Control), configure things for 2.1, and plug the speakers into the green jack at the back of your box. Also make sure to disable any DSP effects or EQ presets the control panel provides you with. I experienced the exact same problem with a Realtek HD chip; it was configured for 5.1 and the speakers were plugged into the wrong jack.

EDIT: This is of course assuming you have a 2.1 or simple 2-speaker set; if you have a 5.1 system, things get a bit more complex, but making sure the configuration's right in the soundcard's control panel and the jacks are hooked up the way they should be is a start.
    Last edited by gypsy; 11-17-2007 at 04:39 PM.

You might want to try and re-install the drivers. I've had the same problem at work and re-install the drivers did the job.

Thanks for the reply the both of you.

gypsy:
    Yes, it is a HD audio chipset and there are multiple audio jacks. Regarding the connection, I know the speakers are plugged into the right place, but I’m unsure as to how I would configure for 2.1 - the control panel is the Realtek HD Audio Manager which isn’t the easiest to work around. Any tips regarding this?

asianice:
    Thanks for that - I’ll also give that a try and see whether it works.

Unfortunately I don't have a box with a Realtek HD chip handy, and I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. Play around with the settings and jack assignments though, it should at some point work.

If not, try upgrading the drivers, they've been updated a couple of times, and having done a search on "realtek hd audio weak sound", people have supposedly fixed this problem by upgrading their drivers. I wish you the best of luck =)

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a box with a Realtek HD chip handy, and I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. Play around with the settings and jack assignments though, it should at some point work.

If not, try upgrading the drivers, they've been updated a couple of times, and having done a search on "realtek hd audio weak sound", people have supposedly fixed this problem by upgrading their drivers. I wish you the best of luck =)
    Thanks, I’ll try this and see how it goes.