View Poll Results: Should we keep the Social Issues forum?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

66 49.25%
  • No.

68 50.75%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    If the lounge is to remain, then it had better not allow discussion of religion, politics or even nations lest the same "problems" migrate to that forum. A number of posts back someone suggested changing the social issues forum to a politics forum in order to keep religion out of it. That clearly will not work as there are nations out there that are religous states, a politicl discussion involving one of those nations will quickly devolve into a religious discussion, which in turn will fill into a series of hate filled rants.
    If you wish to remove the SI forum, you had better heavily censor the Lounge if you don't remove it as well. Either that or the problems will simply migrate.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine
      0 Not allowed!

Lets just remove the lounge altogether, and any subforums and be done with it. After all, this is web hosting talk. so if someone is gonna open his/her mouth, s/he'd either speak in megabytes or shut up for the love of god. Not even c++ syntax either, for this is web hosting talk, not programming talk. after all, there are many people who are offended with other's takes and stances on various programming languages, such as php versus asp. That should end the flamewars.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Couldn't that be said of the entire Lounge?
    I voted no as well. I can appreciate the lounge forum, because sometimes you just want to mingle and chatter about off topics. But to have other forums dedicated to non-hosting related discussions, it seems a little much. If people decide to post about religion and politics in the lounge, at least it's confined to one forum and this will help to control the excess religion/politics threads.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    Lets just remove the lounge altogether, and any subforums and be done with it. After all, this is web hosting talk. so if someone is gonna open his/her mouth, s/he'd either speak in megabytes or shut up for the love of god. Not even c++ syntax either, for this is web hosting talk, not programming talk. after all, there are many people who are offended with other's takes and stances on various programming languages, such as php versus asp. That should end the flamewars.
    I guess you're not very computer-savvy. Actually almost all the forums at WHT are relevant to web hosting. Do you think that control panel at your domain: http://www.zerensoft.com:2082 just appeared magically? PHP versus ASP is extremely relevant (as are other web programming languages and environments required in web hosting).
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)
      0 Not allowed!

Recently social issues forum has been a place to get real insider info from stuff happening around the world, ranging from situation in pakistan to american presidential debates. You cant find that in cnn.

Its much more than a debate forum.
      0 Not allowed!

I've always understood that with so many differences of opinions etc there will always be a stage where we can agree to disagree.

Obviously some numpties on here can't get their heads around that kind of philosophy.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 11-17-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I guess you're not very computer-savvy. Actually almost all the forums at WHT are relevant to web hosting. Do you think that control panel at your domain: http://www.zerensoft.com:2082 just appeared magically? PHP versus ASP is extremely relevant (as are other web programming languages and environments required in web hosting).
    thank you captain obvious.

so are the people who actually work in web hosting, their leanings, ideas, whats on their mind for the day, the political, economical, social environment that they are in at that moment. all of them are relevant.

- whats gonna be the state of outsourcing if india and pakistan goes to war ?

- whats gonna be the state of hosts that host gambling sites if world trade organization penalizes united states for not allowing free trade in gambling and betting ?

- whats going to happen to hosts if united states starts penalizing anyone that does business with iran, even if the business is hosting dissidents' sites ?

those stuff develop in social environments, and then fall into 'web hosting' or 'dedicated hosting' forum after the finale of the story is at hand. being in the know before that happens delivers or breaks a business oftimes.

so you were unable to judge the relevancy of those stuff, but were able to actually put a cpanel url as a proof for your argument in a debate ? you'd do better if you had put the ssl version of it so as to better support your argument at least.
    Last edited by unity100; 11-17-2007 at 05:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I say close it, AND this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

so instead of themselves doing the repression, you do it in their place ? shutting up criticizing mouths out of 'respect'. fantastically broad term, into which one can fit almost everything s/he doesnt want to hear.
    No he clearly had an agenda when he opened two threads on sensitive subjects. You want to criticize a religion but I'm still waiting on the reason why ? If you don't agree with it just don't follow it.

No, you want people to follow your reasoning (including the followers of those religions) but it will never happen. All that can come out of those discussions is bashing because you cannot prove anything, this is why it's a matter of faith!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussing it here will not enlighten those who believe or those who don't. I do not see the relevancy of such a discussion on WHT and this is my final opinion.

I agree with the previous poster who said politics and religions go hand in hand in some parts of the globe and that it would lead us to the same problems (I said it in my previous posts also).

well REPORT the 'harassing' messages then, for the love of god ?!?! is it that hard ?
    I did. WHT mods shouldn't have to deal with them all-together. This is a WEB HOSTING forum and not connected in any way with your right to expressing your political and religious opinions.

We're not talking about a web hosting company censoring religion and politics, it's a forum and they have the right to choose what they want discussed.

and, how can religious people are not 'sensitive' as to believe everyone who doesnt believe in their thing are going to hell and burn in eternal flame, and someone who is actually 'taking shots' at what someone believes is being 'insensitive' ? hypocrisy and doubletalk, and infirm free speech standards those are. nothing related to respect.
    Are they opening threads saying we're all going to hell because we're not following their religion ? If yes then PM me the URL and I'll protest it.

Respect is exactly why we don't tolerate hate speech, but it's a form of free speech whether you like it or not. When you threaten someone because of their hate speech you're infringing on their rights to free speech.

if you dont see a need to discuss religion under the title of social matters, then DONT. noone is forcing you to discuss or to read. yet, you are complaining about something you have actual choice.
    If you see a need to discuss religion and politics, go to google.com and search for Political and religious forums. WHT is not the only forum on the internet. When I want to talk about sex I visit an other forum to discuss it, why can't you do the same ?
    Last edited by GoTek-JP; 11-17-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    I've always understood that with so many differences of opinions etc there will always be a stage where we can agree to disagree.

Obviously some numpties on here can't get their heads around that kind of philosophy.

owm
    OWM, you little Fire Lighter (Brain Cell Stimulator) -
    I understand your philosophy here and agree, but obviosly reserve the right to disagree when it's convenient.

Personaly having ploughed my way through this thread (100 plus posts), I think this thread alone is enough reason to keep SI open.

I quite like the idea of a change of name though.

What do you guys & lasses think of:
    a. Happy Hell - (H.H.)
    b. Social Historical Innaccurate Theories (S.H.1.T.)

BTW unless I'm mistaken the word 'religion' comes from Latin, and means 'Way of Living'. So to attempt to remove it from life or politics, would be a little stupid IMHO

I voted yes, obviously if people are posting on it, then that is good otherwise political issues would be put in the regular webhosting lounge section. I would hate to be censored, if people don't like that type of discussion, then they are free to not post in that area or read the posts.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"
      0 Not allowed!

Social Issues is a good name for it because many who post there have social issues
      0 Not allowed!

This thread is a perfect example of the reason I voted "no". I truly enjoy proper debate and discussion on a lot of the topics that come up in the social issues forum, but I hate the way the vast majority discuss them.

Even in this thread (which is not in the social issues forum and is simply about the inclusion of a forum being proper in WHT or not) we have bickering between members that is doing nothing but causing distress in one form or another.

If we were to keep it, I would like to actually see a reverse of the original ideas of the rules being a bit more loose there, and instead make them a bit more strict. Specifically the "be polite" rule.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Social Issues is a good name for it because many who post there have social issues
    I agree. Also it harms no one when the discussions become a little heated from time to time and keeps people on their toes just as long as it doesn't go too overboard.

Yes, maybe sometimes I've been guilty of going at it too hard and if I've offended anyone then you can have my apologies because there's no harm intended.

Wouldn't it be total pants if everyone on wht shared the same opinions and religious beliefs and had nothing to disagree about?

It's healthy discussions that increase our knowledge after all.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 11-17-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    And because of that little GEM, (whatever the SI forum is called)
    It Must be kept -

Quote Originally Posted by dollar View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of the reason I voted "no". I truly enjoy proper debate and discussion on a lot of the topics that come up in the social issues forum, but I hate the way the vast majority discuss them.

Even in this thread (which is not in the social issues forum and is simply about the inclusion of a forum being proper in WHT or not) we have bickering between members that is doing nothing but causing distress in one form or another.

If we were to keep it, I would like to actually see a reverse of the original ideas of the rules being a bit more loose there, and instead make them a bit more strict. Specifically the "be polite" rule.
    Vast Majority sounds a bit OTT, taking this thread, surely were only talking 2,3 or 4 people, not even A majority, (so in fact, the Minority).
    If my statement here is considered bickering or causes you or any other reader undue distress in any form whatsoever,
    I'm sorry, but at least I've said it politely. - -

So when are the polls closing ?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy View Post
    So when are the polls closing ?
    lmfao...

nice one bud...

however I can't see the end of the social issues forum to be honest.

maybe if the gap was a little wider.

I feel some divine intervention is on the way

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 11-17-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

lmfao...

nice one bud...

however I can't see the end of the social issues forum to be honest.

maybe if the gap was a little wider.

I feel some divine intervention is on the way

owm
    Maybe the mods should add a link from the Lounge ? That would be great for the "NO" crowd.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy View Post
    Maybe the mods should add a link from the Lounge ? That would be great for the "NO" crowd.
    or move this thread to the SI forum, to 'spice it up a bit' ?

never fear the troops won't let us down

I see a development already.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 11-17-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

never fear the troops won't let us down

I see a development already.

owm
    ROFL, you PMing members to vote Yes ?
      0 Not allowed!

Closed for cleansing.

I'm not about to try and edit every post that needs editing. I'll just be removing the lot of them.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Closed for cleansing...
    And done.

If I missed some that should have been removed, or removed some that should have stayed, I apologize. But there was a lot to sift through.

If you can discuss the issue, discuss.

If you need to discuss the poster, don't even think about hitting that Submit button.

Hopefully we can get back to discussing the issue, not the poster.

Should WHT have a Social Issues forum? If yes, why? If no, why not?

If you want to talk about another member's beliefs, don't.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast