View Poll Results: Should we keep the Social Issues forum?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

66 49.25%
  • No.

68 50.75%
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Does the Social Issues forum belong on WHT?

Pretty simple Yes or No question.

One thing to note though, if we remove the Social Issues forum, that wouldn't open up the Lounge to those types of discussions.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

In my opinion, No! add a poll?
    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas H View Post
    In my opinion, No! add a poll?
    there's some problem with the forums where threads still get posted when a user selects to post a poll, and the poll gets attached to the already made thread. It's a pain because you have to rush to fill in all the poll options.
      0 Not allowed!

Put my vote in as no.
      0 Not allowed!

I voted no. I think it's a boooooooooooooring forum with almost only posts about believe, race or combo's of both. It's webhostingtalk here, not worshippingtalk.
      0 Not allowed!

A definite no here as well
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Defintely no.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

No here too.
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com
      0 Not allowed!

Wow. I'm glad I brought this topic up then!

Good to hear there are others with a similar mindset, and don't tolerate evil social propaganda as well!
      0 Not allowed!

Can someone that has voted (or is voting) No, explain why?

The only reason I see so far is, "because it's boring".
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post

The only reason I see so far is, "because it's boring".
    because it makes everyone eachother more.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I voted no because I believe that the topics that are being discussed just don't belong on a forum like this. IMHO
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com
      0 Not allowed!

Couldn't that be said of the entire Lounge?
      0 Not allowed!

I voted no because as others have said, this is webhosting talk not "my religion/culture is better than you"-talk.

I think the offers forum is boring, but that should stay (because your right, boring is not a valid excuse) and a forum that encourages anti-social trolling threads about 'how the qoran treats women and its better to be a hindu' need to go.

Talking about politics or social issues is one thing, and I have to say for the most part alot of people on that forum are pretty mature but it's always the few anti-socials on there that consistently spew out hatred that's just not cool.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by seankoons View Post
    I voted no because as others have said, this is webhosting talk not "my religion/culture is better than you"-talk...
    If reading those issues bothers someone, why do they choose to read it?
      0 Not allowed!

I voted no.

A social issues forum doesn't belong on a forum about web hosting. All it does is causes problems between the members, and then brings us to a thread like this.

Sure, once doesn't have to read it, but why have it as most of the posts in there do argue about religion/race/good or bad. If people have social issues, then they need to get out more often
      0 Not allowed!

If reading those issues bothers someone, why do they choose to read it?
    I think there are alot of valid topics to discuss in that forum.

But usually the topics break down into misconceptions about cultures/relgion, and they become a haven for hate speech.
    Last edited by bodhisattva; 11-17-2007 at 11:35 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

It's just a burden on the moderators. When there are firefights, it gets out of control sometimes.

It's just unnecessary in a hosting forum.
    AS395558
      0 Not allowed!

I don't choose to read about hatred regarding religion, political views or people. I didn't come here to WHT all those years ago in order to discuss (well, argue about) these things either, I came to learn about and discuss hosting. There are forums out there specifically for that sort of thing, and most allow "heated" discussion of it, since that's what typically ensues.
    Is a web hosting forum really a good place to discuss politics/religion/hate? I feel it's time to adjust the focus back to hosting instead of being a catch all discussion board.

Here's a thought: If WHT/iNet wish to open discussion for these topics, and feels it's a needed channel....why not open another property/forum just for that purpose, like what was done for free hosting offers (freewht)? Take the social forum, copy the existing posts to the new forum, and link it instead of harboring it here. If one of these forum sections exist on the other iNet holdings, maybe they too could be ported...all the "rotten eggs" in one basket, so to speak.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

Let me ask you this...

If WebHostingTalk was a daily meeting of industry professionals in the offline world, as opposed to being a Web site, how would you deal with the small percentage who sabotage the discussion each day with political, religious and social issue abuse and hatred? Would you ask them to leave the group? Would you ask them to keep quiet and discuss those issues after the meeting? Would you put those people in another room, but still with their big 'WebHostingTalk Member' title on their shirt?

The latter seems to be what we're doing right now. We're giving them that other room to discuss those things, but they still get to wear their "WebHostingTalk Discussion in Progress" badge and they get to do it at the time that was initially set aside to discuss Web hosting issues.

Personally, I would ask them to keep the social debates to the pub after the daily meeting because the daily WebHostingTalk meeting is for discussing Web hosting issues.

That may or may not be a good analogy, but I gathered I would throw that out there.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie View Post
    Let me ask you this...

If WebHostingTalk was a daily meeting of industry professionals in the offline world, as opposed to being a Web site, how would you deal with the small percentage who sabotage the discussion each day with political, religious and social issue abuse and hatred? ...
    Those people would join each other in a small group by themselves. It happens all the time.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie View Post
    Let me ask you this...

If WebHostingTalk was a daily meeting of industry professionals in the offline world, as opposed to being a Web site, how would you deal with the small percentage who sabotage the discussion each day with political, religious and social issue abuse and hatred?

If this is business and to be equated with a business meeting, then I would have to say the entire lounge area needs to be removed. In keeping with the business simile it is as if you have a breakroom but do not want the employees to actually ever leave the conference rooms. If you want the employees to "eat at their desk" and keep working then the breakroom has to go away.
    In a similar fashion if all discussion is to be restricted to hosting then the lounge itself needs to go. As long as it is there to allow non-hosting discussion the moderators will be busy banashing discussions that stray across the line.

If on the other hand you want to have a break room to discuss "non-work" related topics, then social issues is as valid as a post about my dog died and I feel sad.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I don't choose to read ...
    Are all those threads really about "hatred regarding religion, political views or people"?

Don't we learn by discussing the issues that get discussed there?

I see some enlightening discussions go on in there.
      0 Not allowed!

Delete it and then what? Ban discussion of social issues polluting the forum elsewhere. Sounds like more work for the moderators not less.
      0 Not allowed!

I voted yes. I remember what it was like with that crap in the lounge.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast