Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question laptop for co-location

i dont know about co-location and maybe it sound silly, but can i use my old laptop for co-location?

you can, but wouldnt be advised laptops are not meant to run non stop 24/7 exp. under any type of loads, id give it 2 months before it fried more then likely from overheating
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

My laptop runs 24/7 with no problems whatsoever. It also has a lovely "hand warmer" at the side (CPU Fan)

But as Charles said, laptops aren't designed to be servers. They have all sorts of power management features to save power. You could find that your HDD shuts itself down, etc. causing some reliability problems.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

your laptop runs 24/7 functioning as a server all it would be eventually is a hand warmer heh
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by cbaker17
    you can, but wouldnt be advised laptops are not meant to run non stop 24/7 exp. under any type of loads, id give it 2 months before it fried more then likely from overheating
    I had my laptop running for about 2 years straight before I got the desktop I have now. It's an IBM Thinkpad. I turned off all of the power management features as they got annoying. I still have the laptop and it still works like the day I got it (it gets used frequently).

Although it is wierd to colo a laptop, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just make sure the customer knows it might fail as it's not meant to run in a server environment (rack/cab), and if they agree, why not?

I think it'll be fine running non-stop, though.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

Originally posted by allera

I had my laptop running for about 2 years straight before I got the desktop I have now. It's an IBM Thinkpad. I turned off all of the power management features as they got annoying. I still have the laptop and it still works like the day I got it (it gets used frequently).

Although it is wierd to colo a laptop, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just make sure the customer knows it might fail as it's not meant to run in a server environment (rack/cab), and if they agree, why not?

What would you do to rack it???

Just sit it on another server???

This brings on a whole new meaning to blade servers/appliances :-)

Tracy Phillips

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    Just sit it on another server???
    Sure, why not?? heehee

Sure, why not?? heehee

I can see the conversation now to customers:

Host: Sorry but it seems an accident has happend, and the staff at the datacenter has dropped my laptop...

Customers: Ok, sorry about that, but what about our server, why is it down???

i stand by my post that if you put a laptop in a colo situation and used even under a moderate load you would have problems with it very fast.

Id loved it if you could colo laptops reliably, you can get a nice speced latop for 1200.00 with built in screen and everything and you could fit a couple in 1u space. A decent 1u server costs 1200.00

but theres a reason no one has though of this yet
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by cbaker17
    i stand by my post that if you put a laptop in a colo situation and used even under a moderate load you would have problems with it very fast.

Id loved it if you could colo laptops reliably, you can get a nice speced latop for 1200.00 with built in screen and everything and you could fit a couple in 1u space. A decent 1u server costs 1200.00

but theres a reason no one has though of this yet

I have to agree, another way laptops cool is the screen is up and allows heat to transfer up though the keyboard...

Guess you could make a small sheet metal box to put the laptops in and secure them with strong velcro strips...

Mind you, this is all half assing it

Laptops when in a confined situation such as a datacenter will have the tendency to overheat and cause problems.

As of now, people will say laptops run fine if left on - that they do, but they're not stacked in a rack with another 40 or so other laptops.

Despite all the powerful airconditioning systems, datacentres can still be quite warm (well, at least those ones I've worked in). Laptops closed up whilst switched on can be asking for trouble.

When they're open - they're getting ventilation, etc but when they are closed and in a confined space it can become different.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Host: Sorry but it seems an accident has happend, and the staff at the datacenter has dropped my laptop...

Rofl - I had a good giggle at that

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

I have to agree, another way laptops cool is the screen is up and allows heat to transfer up though the keyboard...
    When I was using my laptop for those two years, it acted as my desktop unit. I had my 19" monitor, my keyboard, and my mouse connected to the unit. It sat under a pile of papers and other gunk on my desk.

Yea, it got hot, but what laptop doesn't? It never skipped a beat.

Don't get me wrong, colo'ing a laptop is not the wisest thing to do, but I still firmly believe it's fully possible. I'd stick mine into the cab and let you guys monitor it but I use it too much. It's my baby (well one of them, I have lots of babies).

Maybe I'll stick my dreamcast in there. Hah! Now that's a baby I don't use much anymore... Or maybe the PS2...! The Xbox has a HD, but I'll wait for the $200k linux port until I attempt to host anything off of that sucker.

Sorry for the OT.

phugo what kind of laptop you have? if it's from AMD family I found your idea is crazy

Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM. I love my 600{x,e}s.

Originally posted by manmythlgnd
    Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM. I love my 600{x,e}s.
    I've got the 1720i (I got the first one my nearest CompUSA got in stock -- I can almost give you the exact date from memory). It's supposed to be similar to a 300 or something (that's what I have to compare it to to get parts or support on it, which is rare indeed).

That laptop will stay with me until it dies (or I die, whichever comes first).

Originally posted by xlhosting

phugo what kind of laptop you have? if it's from AMD family I found your idea is crazy
    HP Pavilion N5310, Intel Celeron 750 Mhz, 128 Mb Ram, Linux Red hat 7.2 and 10 GB HD

What does the manufacturer say?

Does it say this is not to be use in a server environment? or you can't leave it on 24/7?

If not and its under warrenty, i'd go for it, if it died, warrenty is the name.

Before my cable provider prevented my from hosting service on my cable connection I use to run my lappy 24/7 Toshiba 2800 no problems, but it didn't have anything else around it.

warrenty will pay the money i will lose if its down?, i dont care about the laptop
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Originally posted by phugo
    warrenty will pay the money i will lose if its down?, i dont care about the laptop
    No, but surely if you are hosting a server co-lo you have some sort of backup puta?

286, 486, anything?

Something to at least say what happened to the server and catch email?

Anything!!!?

i have a server in rackshack and i will use it as main server.. laptop for backups
    Last edited by RackFive; 08-04-2002 at 11:28 PM.
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

edited.. sorry for post it 2 times
    Last edited by RackFive; 08-04-2002 at 11:28 PM.

how to delete posts?

Originally posted by phugo
    how to delete posts?
    Click on edit/delete in bottom right corner of post, up top click in box to delete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast