Biling Software - Monthly Leased License or Owned License?

Hello,

I've been searching for billing software hosting since a couple of weeks ago and found that WHMCS are the most popular(?) among WHT members.

I'm going to buy a billing software (maybe from WHMCS) but need some suggestions:
    - owned license - one time payment
    - or monthly leased license

What are the advantage and disadvantage?

Thanks.

I'd go for the leased license, if you look even at the branded prices, It's cheaper to pay the monthly price, comes to about $190/yr whereas the annual costs $249... Then at the end of the year, you need to renew the license so you can get updates and such.

Have you played with any other billing softwares or are you going strictly by "popular among WHT members"?

I would look into ClientExec as another option with 3.1 coming out very soon. It looks like a winner

The advantage to paying monthly for billing software is that you'll get updates and support for the entire time you use it. The downside is that if you use it for an extended period of time, it will cost you more in the long run than buying an owned license. How long you would have to pay monthly for the software before getting an owned license makes more sense depends on how it's priced.

Unless you are sure you want to stay with the billing solution you choose, I would recommend paying monthly. Most billing apps have import scripts so if you decide to switch you'll be able to do so somewhat painlessly (ideally) and won't be out the larger upfront cost of an owned license.
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

Quote Originally Posted by reselhost View Post
    Hello,

I've been searching for billing software hosting since a couple of weeks ago and found that WHMCS are the most popular(?) among WHT members.

I'm going to buy a billing software (maybe from WHMCS) but need some suggestions:
    - owned license - one time payment
    - or monthly leased license

What are the advantage and disadvantage?

Thanks.
    I would say, use the monthly leased license for now, until your business gets stable. Once it gets stable and you have the revenue to but the owned license then go for it.

In the long run the owned license will work out to be much cheaper.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

I think the owned is pretty good considering you could always sell it to someone else if the worst was to happen or you wanted to move to another script. With leased, you'll be paying month to month and you don't own anything, but you do get the benefit of unlimited support and upgrades as well as being able to cancel whenever.

However with the owned license, it works out to just over a year and a half until the investment is worthwhile when the cost of a monthly license will outgrow the cost of the owned license.

249.95 + 44.95 = 294.90
    15.95 * 19 = 303.05
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Wow, thanks for the fed back. This is definitely good for me before make a final decision. There is no wrong suggestions/opinions regarding this topic here. So, any comments/suggestions are most appreciated.

Anyone else...

My recommendation is to go with the owned license. There are however some benefits of getting a leased license to start. For example if you have small starting budget, the leased lic would definitely the way to go. Then you can always upgrade a later time. Think about it.. Leasing is throwing money away..isn't it?

As far support and upgrades, you most likely won't need any support once you've become familiar with the software in a few Months; and I believe you can always get free upgrades and make updates yourself.
    Phase360.com Shared & Reseller Hosting Solutions.
    cPanel, WHM, Sitebuilder, Rvskins, Fantastico!

Quote Originally Posted by webgeeks View Post
    My recommendation is to go with the owned license. There are however some benefits of getting a leased license to start. For example if you have small starting budget, the leased lic would definitely the way to go. Then you can always upgrade a later time. Think about it.. Leasing is throwing money away..isn't it?

As far support and upgrades, you most likely won't need any support once you've become familiar with the software in a few Months; and I believe you can always get free upgrades and make updates yourself.
    I agree with you. "Leasing is throwing money away". So I decided to go for the 'owned license'. I see good price for the WHMCS at LicensePal.

BTW, do I need to sign up for a reseller domain name in order to use the billing software? I'm not going to offer domain name to my clients for the moment.

You'll have an option to disable to domain registration function. So when a user decides to purchase a hosting package, they'll only have the option of providing an existing domain for the hosting set up. You can always add domain registration a later time.
    Phase360.com Shared & Reseller Hosting Solutions.
    cPanel, WHM, Sitebuilder, Rvskins, Fantastico!

its not necessary for the reseller domain name.

Really depends on your situation. As others have already mentioned, it is cheaper in the long run to get the owned license but if you are short on cash, then stick with monthly.

Your best bet is to try out the different billing software, they all have demo's you can use. In WHMCS instance, they provide a 15 day free trial to get your feet wet and see if it is for you. After trying if you still can't decide, then get the monthly and use it for a couple months to get a real feel, at this point you should be able to make a pretty good judgement if the software is for you and whether it would be worth it to get the owned license saving you some money.
    LaneHost.com | Professional Web Hosting Solutions
    Affordable Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers at Great Prices!
    Follow us on Twitter!

Thanks so much for the replies. I just ordered WHMCS owned licensed and love it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by reselhost View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies. I just ordered WHMCS owned licensed and love it.

Thanks.
    You made a good choice.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!