Thumbs up good colocation service provider in Hong Kong

hi,

our company just decided to buy two servers in Hong Kong and colocate them there. Does anyone know a reputable hosting company (data center) in Hong Kong that offers colocation service?

we hope the hosting company/data center can buy the servers for us - probably give us a few choices with different configurations and prices so we can pick two middle level servers. Is this something a typical data center/hosting company can help us with?

up-time is not critical for our website, but we want a hosting company (data center) we can work with for many years, therfore it has to be a stable and reputable (maybe large) company/center.

any recommendation is highly appreciated!!!

thanks!

We are using Pacific Internet (Hong Kong) for a couple of years now, they are quite stable, being a Nasdaq listed company.

thank you for your quick reply, Boonchuan!

I checked out the website of Pacific Internet (Hong Kong). It looks good.

one quick question - does data center usually help their colocation customers buy servers as well? or they only host their servers?

thanks!

If you're interested in a large/reputable global company, then Equinix is probably worth looking in to - they are one of the leading international carrier neutral data center providers and have a datacenter down there.

If you are looking for large local providers, then iAdvantage is one of the biggest in the area as far as I know, with multiple data centers.
    Sune Christesen
    Data Center Map - Worldwide colocation, cloud and carrier index with interactive map.

I wouldn't go with Pacific Internet for various reason. Note that they were recently sold to Asia Netcom.

Equinix or iAdvantage/Mega-I is the place to be if you can afford it. Equinix's sales and engineering do know their stuff well. iAdvantage is of course the biggest provider in the area.

For us, we chose to go with Asia Netcom. They are probably the strongest carrier in the region and their sales staff/response time is very promising. We brought a 100mbps of transit and they even threw in half a rack for free on their floor in Mega-I.

Also, do note that there is an international and local portion in bandwidth. If you do not explicitly buy international bandwidth from your colo, then your traffic going international will slow to a crawl.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp View Post
    Also, do note that there is an international and local portion in bandwidth. If you do not explicitly buy international bandwidth from your colo, then your traffic going international will slow to a crawl.
    if I colo servers there and want them fast to Asean countries, will I still need to order a big enough international bandwidth? Saying 10megs, how do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    if I colo servers there and want them fast to Asean countries, will I still need to order a big enough international bandwidth? Saying 10megs, how do you think?
    Yes, you do. If you colocate in Hong Kong, consider everything that leaves Hong Kong to be International. If you go with people that do "share" International, then there is no guarantee and if your luck is bad, it will slow to a crawl. If you are buying from a carrier, be careful they make it clear if they will do traffic policing or not. Of the few carriers I talk to, only T-System and Asia Netcom doesn't enforce traffic policing. The rest of the bunch will somehow explicitly or implicitly ask you where your traffic is going and price based on that.
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

ANC uses a lot of the old GX fiber in the region - a great organization.

We have 13mbps PDIA in ANC. They are good initially. But, after the earthquake that broke some of the lines some time earlier, the China connection is very bad till last month. (For now, I am not sure since we have scheduled to move all out.) I have 1 customer cancelled and 1 refused to move from Singtel to ANC after testing.

Quote Originally Posted by pang View Post
    We have 13mbps PDIA in ANC. They are good initially. But, after the earthquake that broke some of the lines some time earlier, the China connection is very bad till last month. (For now, I am not sure since we have scheduled to move all out.) I have 1 customer cancelled and 1 refused to move from Singtel to ANC after testing.
    That's why you want to Multi-home.

ANC is also building a new ring in the pacific region, that may help a little in the future.

Mfjp: I have tried to contact ANC since few days, but no one answers. Do you have any good contact there?

Thank you.

I believe ethr.net has some colo space in Hong Kong. Why dont you colocate it thru him?

His service is great.
    current and satisfied customer of softlayer.com and webnx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mfjp View Post
    That's why you want to Multi-home.

ANC is also building a new ring in the pacific region, that may help a little in the future.
    I know. But, it is too expensive for us. Also, We don't have that knowledge to build and manage.

Quote Originally Posted by newtohosting View Post
    hi,

our company just decided to buy two servers in Hong Kong and colocate them there. Does anyone know a reputable hosting company (data center) in Hong Kong that offers colocation service?

we hope the hosting company/data center can buy the servers for us - probably give us a few choices with different configurations and prices so we can pick two middle level servers. Is this something a typical data center/hosting company can help us with?

up-time is not critical for our website, but we want a hosting company (data center) we can work with for many years, therfore it has to be a stable and reputable (maybe large) company/center.

any recommendation is highly appreciated!!!

thanks!
    How many servers you are planning to colocate.

Quote Originally Posted by pang View Post
    I know. But, it is too expensive for us. Also, We don't have that knowledge to build and manage.
    Yes, I don't see too many people multi-homing in Hong Kong. Cross Connect to us in the future after we finished our builtout at Mega-I.