hosted by liquidweb


Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass
Reply

Forum Jump

new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription
 
Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Project X Project X is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Twin Cities Area
Posts: 5,651
Thumbs down

new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass



__________________
if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!



Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Illustrious Illustrious is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 893
So he's an atheist. Big deal.

Narnia and Lord of the Rings all had Christian themes, but no one seemed to give a damn.

  #3  
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM
maniakaz maniakaz is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1,179
Ugly and that's all. Kidman should not act in such trash. I don't think she's so poor...

__________________
http://www.talonai.com

Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
~ServerPoint~ ~ServerPoint~ is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,902
I wonder... Doesn't she have anything else to do?

__________________
ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
>>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
>>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

  #5  
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
visoads visoads is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
why the bagging? doesn't even seem like that "bad" of a movie. perhaps she needs the publicity more than anything else?

and didnt she just get to writing children novels?

__________________
visoads.com - Live VPS Auctions every 4 Days.

  #6  
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Teh_Winnar Teh_Winnar is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 729
I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.

__________________
Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

  #7  
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Illustrious Illustrious is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Winnar View Post
I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.
And if that's the case, I don't see why the anti-religion aspect of it makes any bit of difference. As I said, there are plenty of pro-Christian stories, but no one complains about them being partisan.

But somehow, if "atheism" comes up, it's automatically associated with hell on earth.

  #8  
Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
the_pm the_pm is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pflugerville, TX
Posts: 11,222
Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!

__________________
Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  #9  
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
UndercoverVixen UndercoverVixen is offline
Junior Guru Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!
I couldn't agree more. My family is looking forward to going to see the movie when it premieres.

  #10  
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Torress Torress is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 29
I think one has to see this movie and then judge about it.

  #11  
Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Odd Fact Odd Fact is offline
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,954
My kids have read and seen both the Potter stories and the Narnia stories. While reading we have discussed the comparison to religion. A story itself should not change faith. As a parent you can be involved in the process.

Although you can find religious comparison in the last Potter book.

  #12  
Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Evolver Evolver is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Surrey BC
Posts: 1,298
So what's the problem here? Someone else other then religious folks is trying sell their views to the world?

Ooooooh the humanity!

__________________


+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES


  #13  
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
jerett jerett is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,904
I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.

__________________



  #14  
Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Teh_Winnar Teh_Winnar is offline
Web Hosting Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerett View Post
I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.
I agree to a point, except for the fact that the series really is about them killing god... It really has nothing to do with symbolism, like in Narnia and Lord of the Rings. (Though there is symbolism in the books)

__________________
Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

  #15  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Mr. Obvious Mr. Obvious is offline
/me dawns tinfoil hat
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 1,965
*looks over at books* Hmm yes...Phillip Pullmans Dark Materials..great set if you ask me. Yeah, the set of 3 may be anti-religion, but in the same fashion, it's fantasy.

If there's that much of a problem with it, then don't see the movie or read the books

Reply

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Compass Datacenters Completes First Data Center in North Carolina Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 12:21:17
Compass Datacenters Builds its First Data Center in Tennessee Web Hosting News 2013-04-08 14:03:51
Nicole Henderson Named Editor in Chief of the Web Host Industry Review Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 13:40:41
Modular Data Center Firm Compass Datacenters Launches Online Configurator Tool Web Hosting News 2013-01-30 12:06:18
Windstream Hosted Solutions Taps Compass Datacenters for Modular Data Center in Tennessee Web Hosting News 2012-12-03 13:33:33


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Login:
Log in with your username and password
Username:
Password:



Forgot Password?
Advertisement:
Web Hosting News:



 

X

Welcome to WebHostingTalk.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

WebHostingTalk.com is the largest, most influentual web hosting community on the Internet. Join us by filling in the form below.


(4 digit year)

Already a member?