hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass

Forum Jump

new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM
Web Hosting Master

Thumbs down

new nicole kidman movie targets kids - golden compass

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 AM

So he's an atheist. Big deal.

Narnia and Lord of the Rings all had Christian themes, but no one seemed to give a damn.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

Ugly and that's all. Kidman should not act in such trash. I don't think she's so poor...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

I wonder... Doesn't she have anything else to do?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

why the bagging? doesn't even seem like that "bad" of a movie. perhaps she needs the publicity more than anything else?

and didnt she just get to writing children novels?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Winnar View Post
I've read the books, and while yes, they are very anti-religion, it's an interesting storyline.
And if that's the case, I don't see why the anti-religion aspect of it makes any bit of difference. As I said, there are plenty of pro-Christian stories, but no one complains about them being partisan.

But somehow, if "atheism" comes up, it's automatically associated with hell on earth.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Retired Moderator

Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
Somehow religion has managed to survive the onslaught of five Harry Potter movies inflicted on the world's children. I'm sure it will survive this too

At worst this is paranoia. At best, it is religious insecurity. Do people really think movies like Golden Compass are a threat to The Word, whatever you believe The Word to be?

I loved Narnia (I grew up with the books, and I'm highly attached to the series). I'm looking forward to Golden Compass with equal enthusiasm. It looks like a great fantasy movie!
I couldn't agree more. My family is looking forward to going to see the movie when it premieres.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM

I think one has to see this movie and then judge about it.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Retired Moderator

My kids have read and seen both the Potter stories and the Narnia stories. While reading we have discussed the comparison to religion. A story itself should not change faith. As a parent you can be involved in the process.

Although you can find religious comparison in the last Potter book.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Web Hosting Master

So what's the problem here? Someone else other then religious folks is trying sell their views to the world?

Ooooooh the humanity!

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerett View Post
I think the warning goes out to the faithful that feel this movie attacks their beliefs and by seeing it, just supports it's message.

I sort of see it as The_PM does.

Much like The Lord of the Rings which claims to be Christian oriented, as was Narnia, (being they (writers) were both friends and Christians) I watched them and never once tried to find the symbolism between the story and the faith as I was there to enjoy a good fantasy movie. (Which I love!).

I think the Golden Compass (though I might not read the books) will be just that, a good fantasy movie that, unless your looking for the symbolic points the author tries to make, will be quite entertaining for anyone - regardless your faith.

And if it does point out things to your kids or family - then use it as a growing tool to open a line of discussion to build and make them stronger.
I agree to a point, except for the fact that the series really is about them killing god... It really has nothing to do with symbolism, like in Narnia and Lord of the Rings. (Though there is symbolism in the books)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
/me dawns tinfoil hat

*looks over at books* Hmm yes...Phillip Pullmans Dark Materials..great set if you ask me. Yeah, the set of 3 may be anti-religion, but in the same fashion, it's fantasy.

If there's that much of a problem with it, then don't see the movie or read the books

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Compass Datacenters Completes First Data Center in North Carolina Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 12:21:17
Compass Datacenters Builds its First Data Center in Tennessee Web Hosting News 2013-04-08 14:03:51
Nicole Henderson Named Editor in Chief of the Web Host Industry Review Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 13:40:41
Modular Data Center Firm Compass Datacenters Launches Online Configurator Tool Web Hosting News 2013-01-30 12:06:18
Windstream Hosted Solutions Taps Compass Datacenters for Modular Data Center in Tennessee Web Hosting News 2012-12-03 13:33:33