Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1

    Powweb...is it possible?

    Powweb is offering 25GB transfer per month and load of other features for only $7.70 / month. How is this possible? I mean..i see resellers packages (supposedly wholesale prices) for $30/month and get only 20GB transfer. powweb a scam?

    What i think is because they know that not everyone will use up 20GB per month, so they just promise this price...but if everyone uses 20GB/month, they'll probably die! right?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    180

    Thumbs down

    It is obvious that they oversell... They have about 1000 sites in every server, meaning 1000x25GB=25000GB / server

    How can't they oversell???

  3. #3
    They are overselling dramatically is how it works. Most hosts oversell to an extent, but once you oversell this dramatically, it's easy to run in to problems.
    Hostit365.com - Reliable Web Hosting with magical support
    cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
    WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
    Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    City of angels (monkey angels ;)
    Posts
    27
    Everyone "oversells". Any host that says they do not is lying (plain and simple).

    At Powweb, we manage our servers extremely efficiently. Just ask around in our own forums, http://forum.powweb.com and see.
    [mB]~monkey_king [Good Server Admin]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    180
    So why don't you add a notice that you oversell in your website???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    City of angels (monkey angels ;)
    Posts
    27
    Good question. Why dont you or the host you use do the same?
    [mB]~monkey_king [Good Server Admin]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    180
    I'm asking about your host... This is not a direct answer...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    City of angels (monkey angels ;)
    Posts
    27
    First, the term you are looking for is “oversubscribes”.

    Let’s get some things straight. Powweb oversubscribes like AOL or Earthlink or ANY company that provides limited services to customers. Think AOL has 20,000,000 modems attached to the Internet? Try 1/10 that # and your a bit closer. Get the point?

    With web hosting, since we can’t oversubscribe connectivity, we oversell bandwidth, but we dont really oversell it because we dont really have ANY limits (i.e.: we pay for what WE use). We say we support 25 Gb of transfer, that’s what we offer. If you use 25 Gb, so be it. The last Gb you use will be just as fast (blazing) as the first Gb used. If you use more, you pay extra for it. Plain and simple.

    We also could oversubscribes our disk space (as all other hosts do), but because of our architecture (NetApp’s etc.), there is no way we can do this either.

    So, bottom line, while your host may oversubscribes its services, you can rest assured Powweb does not oversubscribes ours.
    [mB]~monkey_king [Good Server Admin]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,210
    Originally posted by MTG
    So why don't you add a notice that you oversell in your website???
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,799
    Notice: While we hope and pray that you do not come close to using one tenth of what we offer, we will stand by that offer.

    How's that?
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    410
    mr monkey,
    I don't think you should use AOL as an example, it wasn't too long ago that AOL was the victim of busy signals by their 'oversubscribing'



    Originally posted by mr monkey
    First, the term you are looking for is “oversubscribes”.

    Let’s get some things straight. Powweb oversubscribes like AOL or Earthlink or ANY company that provides limited services to customers. Think AOL has 20,000,000 modems attached to the Internet? Try 1/10 that # and your a bit closer. Get the point?
    Norm Sherman @ Netacore
    Fast/Reliable cPanel hosting on premium bandwidth
    http://netacore.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Originally posted by avara
    They are overselling dramatically is how it works. Most hosts oversell to an extent, but once you oversell this dramatically, it's easy to run in to problems.
    Yep. A server's revenue needs to be balanced with its loads etc. You need to make enough money from the server to cover costs, make profits, but you have to keep the loads low. I would imagine their loads are running 4 to 7 pretty constantly if they're attracting the kind of sites that could push through a lot of data transfer.

    This of course leads to frequent downtime etc....which leads to clients leaving....which opens up space for new monkeys on their boxes...
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,729
    Originally posted by Aussie Bob


    which opens up space for new monkeys on their boxes...
    Or for more fecal matter to be thrown. Whichever the case may be...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    287

  15. #15

    * I use Powweb!!!!!!

    I have switched hosts 3 times. First I was hosted by rackshack. They were fast but didn't support anything. All I had at my disposal was perl cgi and frontpage extensions. From there one of my friends told me about readyhosting. www.readyhosting.com...... and let me put it to you this way... THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible customer service and their php support was sketchy at best.

    THEN COMES POWWEB!!!!!!!! Powweb is hands down the best host!!! It is fast!!! PHP supports all extensions inculded the gd graphics library. MySQL only costs $30 to set up. You get as much MySQL space until you fill up your 250 mb. Some hosts limit your mysql storage(readyhosting). Powweb absolutly has the best support network EVER!!!!!!! I have asked dozens of questions and all were answered the very next day. There is a user support forum for even faster answers. Most within a few hours depending on when you ask.

    Oh YEAH!!! I fogot to mention their 30 day money back guarentee. It they really refund all your money. Before I went to readyhosting I had powweb for about 2 weeks. But I wanted to use Cold Fusion.... so regretffuly I switch to readyhosting..... after being severly disapointed by them I came back to powweb!!! And I will never leave again! Anyways they had refunded all my money with a week.


    Powweb is really a great host.
    Last edited by JClawson; 08-13-2002 at 01:18 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    754
    I know a few happy customers with powweb as well, and they've been around a long time so they obviously have some concept of what their doing
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    180
    I know much more unhappy customers with powweb, and they've been around a looooooooooooong time so they obviously have some concept of what their doing

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Above The Clouds
    Posts
    6,999

    Re: I use Powweb!!!!!!

    Originally posted by JClawson
    I have switched hosts 3 times. First I was hosted by rackshack. They were fast but didn't support anything. All I had at my disposal was perl cgi and frontpage extensions. From there one of my friends told me about readyhosting. www.readyhosting.com...... and let me put it to you this way... THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible customer service and their php support was sketchy at best.

    THEN COMES POWWEB!!!!!!!! Powweb is hands down the best host!!! It is fast!!! PHP supports all extensions inculded the gd graphics library. MySQL only costs $30 to set up. You get as much MySQL space until you fill up your 250 mb. Some hosts limit your mysql storage(readyhosting). Powweb absolutly has the best support network EVER!!!!!!! I have asked dozens of questions and all were answered the very next day. There is a user support forum for even faster answers. Most within a few hours depending on when you ask.

    Oh YEAH!!! I fogot to mention their 30 day money back guarentee. It they really refund all your money. Before I went to readyhosting I had powweb for about 2 weeks. But I wanted to use Cold Fusion.... so regretffuly I switch to readyhosting..... after being severly disapointed by them I came back to powweb!!! And I will never leave again! Anyways they had refunded all my money with a week.

    SO GET HOSTED AT POWWEB!!!!!!!!!!

    And if you do, please list me as your referer

    www.v7studios.com <--- type that in as your referer
    Ah, so we know the impetus and drive behind that post.

    Aren't referrer links banned at WHT? Even their clients spam!!!!
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

  19. #19

    sorry......

    I really wasn't trying to spam.... just got carried away.
    In my experience Powweb can't be beat. I am always open to better hosts. But after my experience with readyhosting.... I am very skeptical. Lots of places say they support alot of things but this has 2 downfalls.
    1) Ususally they try to set up alot of stuff but don't configure it properly.

    2) They have so many different things running that it bogs down the cpu.

    With powweb, they only have 1 hosting package and only support php, mysql, cgi, and frontpage extensions. This frees them from any of those problems.

    If you think you have a better host.... that costs relativly just as much... and supports everything powweb does, I would consider switching or at least giving them a try.

    I took a look at hostnexus.... They seem fast. I pinged the server and got 32ms. Powweb is 60ms. For now, powweb is perfect for me. Its dirt cheap and provides great services that I need.

    Jason

    www.v7studios.com

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    978
    With powweb, they only have 1 hosting package and only support php, mysql, cgi, and frontpage extensions. This frees them from any of those problems.
    Don't assume a single package means easier management. With only one package you're basically buying the same block of services as every other user regardless of how well/poorly their script implementation - and in turn cpu usage - is. We run multiple packages so that higher-use sites will be placed on servers with lower cpu usage in order to balance things out for everyone.

    It's all marketting, if done properly there's no benefit to one package over many.

    Sincerely,

    -Matt

  21. #21

    * yes you are right

    You are right. Powweb does exactly this. Its having only one package that makes organizing higher used sites easier. Therefore they are able to cut down costs which is good.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    754

    Re: yes you are right

    Originally posted by JClawson
    You are right. Powweb does exactly this. Its having only one package that makes organizing higher used sites easier. Therefore they are able to cut down costs which is good.
    I dont follow the logic there.... What rack9 is saying is lets say you have 2 packages. One is 30gig/month package. the other is a 1gig/month deal. If the have two servers they would put half the 30 gig packages on one, half on the other.

    The advantage to this is they know which users are gonna need the resources so they can balance accordingly. With only one package, they have no idea if someone will use 500mb or 25gigs.

    I agree that some people that use 500mbs will buy a bigger package than they need, but the generally, the need for resources will be quite apparent
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Internet / Colorado
    Posts
    1,652
    Originally posted by mr monkey
    Everyone "oversells". Any host that says they do not is lying (plain and simple).

    At Powweb, we manage our servers extremely efficiently. Just ask around in our own forums, http://forum.powweb.com and see.
    I don't oversell, I make enough money just fine without overselling and it prevents a lot of problems down the road such as the server getting overloaded or a lot of the sites you oversold getting popular and doing tons of traffic causing the server to crash.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    273
    I have about 10 customers with PowWeb and haven't heard any complaints.

    Brian
    Compare prices and features of over 100 different web hosting plans with the IceIsHot.com Web Hosting Comparison.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    3,414
    Originally posted by mr monkey
    Everyone "oversells". Any host that says they do not is lying (plain and simple).
    You're are incorrect =)
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    City of angels (monkey angels ;)
    Posts
    27
    Ok, that was a bit broad of a statement. Not all web hosts over-subscribe (just the profitable ones
    [mB]~monkey_king [Good Server Admin]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •