Moving To Europe, 411.

I am looking for some information on moving to Europe. Moving to Europe has been my dream since about the age of 18. I plan to move possibily next year. And I am not really sure what to expect, me moving from the US. So far my primary choices would be germany(technologicaly advanced country) or Italy. I understand that their are alot of American companies that have operations over in europe. I suppose connecting with a job before I venture, would be viable. Anyways, if anyone can give me some usefull resources or advice, it would be appreciated. I would like to plan at least a year ahead before I venture off.

-Anthony
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Well, Anthony, vast topic!
    I think it would be easier to help you if you asked some questions...
    http://www.voilaweb.com - the Social Internet Toolbox.

Get a job in the US with a large multinational. After a while, ask them if they could find you a job in Europe instead.

Most large multinationals have departments specifically set up to deal with moving their employees from one country to another. They'll know all of the visa rules, help you work out the tax issues... generally, they'll help you with everything which would otherwise be a major hassle.

The idea behind these departments, of course, is so that if the company really needs to move someone, they'll be able to; but more often than not, the request to move comes from the employee.

The alternative is to apply directly to a big European company, but I think you'll find it much easier to deal with people who are on the same continent as you. Whatever you do, make sure you have a job lined up with a large company before you move -- immigration people are much happier if you have a job lined up already, and small companies won't have the infrastructure in place to help you with the move.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

vigor,

Not to discourage you, but you might find this quite difficult. Getting a visa that will allow you to work is very difficult unless yo u already have the job with a definate begin and end.

I work for one of those large multi-national companies. We do occasionaly move poeple from one coutry to another (I was asked). It's normally for a 2 - 3 year timeframe. There are all sorts of wierd tax rules etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Do you even speak German or Italian? Why are you moving in the first place? What is the primary reason? Leaving in Europe is not pretty unless you have money. People run from Europe to America and you wana go there?

Originally posted by Shyne
    Leaving in Europe is not pretty unless you have money.
    Are you sure about that? Have you ever been in a European country?

hmm, im in the UK and wanna go to the USA, why would anyone in the USA wanna move here

maybe you should come over here for a month on holiday ? how old are you ??
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Originally posted by MTG

Are you sure about that? Have you ever been in a European country?
    You think? Obviously I was.

Life in Southern Europe cannot be compared to any other place in the world Mediterranean all the way

My only suggestion would be VISIT THERE FIRST!

I would not go blindly based on a childhood dream that was fed by movies and TV shows or books, you seriously need to experience it to understand what you are getting yourself into.

Like others have said, just getting a VISA to work may be hard, your best bet would be to find a domestic job at an international company that can then transfer you out. I wouldn't just pack up and move over there with hopes of picking up a job like you are expecting.

I spent 2 months traveling around Europe and it is quite different from the US, and it is quite different than what you may have in mind from seeing movies and such. I found places in the UK that prior to visiting I thought I would love, but after spending time there realized it wasn't as good as I thought. The opposite also applied, I had immagine Spain to not be my thing, not fluent in their language, I expected it to be one of the least favorite places on my trip. I was completely wrong, Spain was the most wonderful place I've been

I could go on and on how various stereotypes I had were changed by visiting, or how my views on my own country have changed after being in many other countries, but you really can't understand these things until you've done it. I stayed with some recent graduates over in England and they were broke as could be, cost of living was extremely high, no job market, living in a bad part of town just trying to get by, and these people had degrees in their own country and couldn't find good jobs.

So I would seriously recomend taking some time to visit first, that has to be the most important in a major life changing situation such as this. What is a few thousand dollars for travel costs when it could save you from a life of poverty or infact point you in the right direction to fufill your dreams. Its a small investment to pay.

So, go over there, talk to people, get REAL info on the country and jobs you are looking to seek, that's the only way to find out.

Traveling to a country and visiting the sites is not the way to judge a country. Most places you visit are nice and pretty, but you might live in some other neighborhood in another part of the country.

Well I didn't quite say "go there and be a tourist". Yes just hitting the hot spots will leave you with a different impression, but do like I did, go to cities tourists don't go to. Live in hostels and talk to other travelers, better yet, live with families or people you meet over there for a while. You need to really see how people's everyday lives are so much different than you expected, such a new culture when you aren't a tourist.

That was the best thing I did, I had a 5 day off period over there and was currently in London, but wanted to get out of the huge city. So I packed a small bag and blindly got on a train up north, stopped at various small towns, some very nice, others not so nice. Eventually made it up to Scotland, great place, but some very unexpected issues came up with my location I was staying there, ended up staying with an elderly scottish man for a few nights. I must say, some of the most interesting stories were shared and seeing how he lives compared to my ways was just amazingly different than I had ever immagined. Not saying it was good or bad, but just not what was expected from all the images I had seen before.

Like I said, go experience the country, not just get on all the tour busses that may run though large cities, talk to anyone you can over there and get to know people. You may be in for a rude awakening if you just decide to start a new life over there and you have issues with dealing with people or how to live in their culture.

Thanks for all the advice. To answer some questions.

I am currently 24 years old, I am not wanting to move to europe due to movies or anything like that. I have visited several places in europe, and not just tourist locations. I have always been the type of person, to want to expirience everything I can, I look at life as a time to do as much as possible in prime years. I am fluent in italian as my father is a first generation american, and have 3 high school years of german, and one college year. There is nothing wrong, living in the US, however I would like to expirience other places. I have worked since a young age, saved money vigorously, depending on cost of living in europe, I could problably live over there for a year without having to work at all. However obviously it would be a better idea to work. While there is nothing wrong with life over here, I live in a decent area, have a solid job, and have a great family. Yet I look at life as, I wake up for work, goto work, come home, and enjoy the rest of the evening with my fiance, goto bed, and repeat that process. I want to expirience different things, countries, and see what is best. Of course this whole deal is okay with my fiance, she is more excited then I am, and looks forward to expiriencing different places. I am trying to consume as much information as I can by visiting web sites, asking advice, and talking to people who live in europe. Anyone that can send me in a good direction, to find solid information, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    anthony
    Linux junkie | steward.io