Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PHP Image Gallery Script recommendations?

[Edited]
    There's a staggering amount of free php image gallery scripts available. Concensus seems to be that the two best (or at least most popular) are:
    1. Gallery
    2. 4images

Which one can integrated into an existing html template with the least fuss?
    Last edited by kreativ; 08-12-2002 at 05:54 AM.

4images seems very good. It is free for non-commercial use. Just wanted to make that clear just incase you had something different in mind. Please pm me if you want a sample.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

I would go with 4images

Gallery was very easy for me to set up. PM me if you want a sample.
    The member formerly known as Enigmatics
    Teh Harem

4images looks very nice but the site is in German (I believe). Is there an English version of the site and are the install and info pages, as well as the cp, etc., in German as well? Also, URL to 'Gallery' please. I'm looking for something simple to display photos of the McNugget for the parents. Nothing fancy.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

You mean to tell us you don't speak German Chicken?

As I continue to teach 3rd graders, my English skills have decreased, let alone my German. If you don't know what I mean, try interacting everyday with people who verbally murder the English language for a few years, and then try to talk to someone. I've caught myself saying...

"I goed to the park." and "She be feeling bad."

Maybe if I try picking up German I can move there and start over...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I have used MIG and Gallery. Mig is really plain and needs a little attention to look good. Gallery has so many options that it's not funny and it's almost as easy to install as MIG. I am sure you have seen a ton of galleries, but here is a MIG and Gallery version. I changed some of the default colors and Icon on MIG / Gallery is default minus red borders. This was just a test for an upcoming project http://www.3mbc.com/mig/index.php (MIG) http://www.3mbc.com/gallery/index.php (Gallery)

4Images does have English instructions. I used it..if it was in German, I wouldn't have

Originally posted by Chicken
    As I continue to teach 3rd graders, my English skills have decreased, let alone my German.
    Aww well, not to worry, we wont hold it against you

I really like gallery because it has the "gallery agent" or something like that. which is a program that you download to your local computer and can use to upload pictures. (pretty much you just drag and drop the picture files and click upload) This makes it really easy and quick to upload multiple files.
    neil MCITP, VCP

The newer version of Gallery has so many impressive features, one of them being the slideshow, where you can have different options as to how the next picture comes in etc. 4images is quite good, but I would still recommend Gallery.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Here are the links to the top 2 choices:

Gallery - http://gallery.sourceforge.net/
    4Images - http://www.4homepages.de/

Gallery uses flat-file database and NetPBM
    4Images uses MySQL database and ImageMagick

Is one easier to drop into an existing HTML template than the other?

Hi Chicken-

I use the Google browser toolbar and had it translate the 4images site. It did a pretty good job (this time).

-Lamar
    Going out of business in our 10th year.

Signature edited. Please see Forum Guidelines for more information.

Photopost really looked good...until I saw the $149 price tag. It looks nice, though.

-Lamar

Hi, I use 4images for one of my sites, and it's very convenient, as it doesn't need any extras such as NetBPM to actually work (as with the Gallery script). However, for stuff such as thumbnailing, there is support for GD, ImageMagick, or NetBPM if your server has those installed.

In the downloads section, there is an English language pack that you can upload to your lang directory. After you have installed the script, log into your Admin CP and in the left frame scroll down to Allgemein. Click on "Einstellungen". Under "Ordner der Sprachdateien wählen" switch to English instead of Deutsch. It is a very nice set-up and I'm able to understand the basics, even though I don't know German

The one complaint about this script is that there isn't just one header, so if you have to alter a couple of things (as I did), there are a bunch of templates you have to edit.
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

Photopost is nice. I bought it the other day... so still lots to do yet, but I like it. Free would have been nice too, but.. One of the features I really like, it can integrate with several types of php forums, and you can set disc space limits for user accounts. Oops, thats two reasons.
    24Host, The Next Step.
    Web Site Launch coming soon!
    Virtual and Reseller Hosting
    AIM: TchSpprt24Hst

Originally posted by 24Host Tech3
    Photopost is nice. I bought it the other day... so still lots to do yet, but I like it. Free would have been nice too, but.. One of the features I really like, it can integrate with several types of php forums, and you can set disc space limits for user accounts. Oops, thats two reasons.
    Yeah, I like the feature that allows integration with a php-based forum also.

-Lamar

Really depending on your needs I actually suggest to build your own...

Thats really how I got started programming PHP...

I had a personal site that I ran that has photos from all of our parties... I designed and built my own system using PHP and MySQL to cycle and display photos and allow comments by logged in user to each photo as well as personal favorites sections...

Quite frankly it wasn't that hard after you get the hand of it and it's custom tailored to your own needs.

By doing this, aside from creating your own solution, you also learn a new skill...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Studio64, could you tell me how long it costs you building your own...? If it is not very time consuming, I would like to make my own one too.

Gallery is VERY good! easy to setup, sooooo many features, and its FREE!!!! Looks good two and is very good if u want to have many people being admins.

Originally posted by FrankXel
    Studio64, could you tell me how long it costs you building your own...? If it is not very time consuming, I would like to make my own one too.
    Well... Everything including beta testing for the basic functions took approx 2 weeks of 1-3 hours a day...

A Sample MySQL Table would be
    Code:
    dir
    -- ID, name (string of name of directory)

file
    -- ID, dir (reference to dir ID#), file (string of file name)

user
    -- ID, name, pass, verify (a randomly generated string to verify authentication. I'd use session control now if I were to re-do it)

favs
    -- ID, UID (user ID that owns the fav), PID (ID of picture)

comment
    -- ID, PID (ID of photo that is commented), UID (user that commented), Date, Time, Comment
    If you have any other question I'd be more than willing to point you to the answer or lend you peices of my code.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Originally posted by Perfecthost
    (Quote: re: photopost)

Yeah, I like the feature that allows integration with a php-based forum also.
    Just to point out that there's a mod that integrates Gallery with phpBB2 as well. (here)

Hmmm is any of these scripts as good as imagefolio? I love Imagefolio.. just that it's causes a server load once in a while.
    123Designing.com: Webmaster Resource SuperSite
    FreeLanceCenter.com: Buy or Provide Quality Work @ Your Price!
    411Seek.com: Popular PPC Search Engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast